Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 09:35 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sorry if this offends but you are being very hypocritical then in regards to CFA.

They are not asking you to subscribe to their morals either. If you don't like their product, then don't buy it. Them being Christian and their views on gay marriage are their own business. They are a business and are not legislators so have not legislated against gay marriage.

That is the whole point I see in this whole argument. CFA is a company and they can support who they want and their CEO can believe whatever religion they want to believe. To villify them just because they don't agree with you is pretty immature when their opinion has no effect on the lives of the general populace.

FWIW, I agree with you that legislators should not support legislation banning gay marriage. The role of the government is to legislate for ALL people, not just hardcore heterosexual Christians. This situation with CFA is different from legislation against gay marriage. The CEO of the company can give money to whoever he wants to give money to. He is not forcing you to buy his sandwiches or denying gay people the opportunity to work for the company. He has to follow labor laws that prevent discrimination.

Also, I agree with a previous poster in regards to alcoholism with a bar. Also CFA has a lot more employees than a bar so they would have more opportunities to hire more employees than a bar. No one ever killed someone after eating a chicken sandwich. Plenty of Americans are killed by drunk drivers.
Considering that this location is in the heart of a city where pedestrians are king, approximately no one walks out of a bar in that area and hops into a car. So that point is moot.

The CEO is welcome to do with his money. He is not welcome to use the foundation arm of his company for such purposes without expecting consequences. In the case of Boston and Chicago, these consequences are going to be negative.

A bar is open for lunch around 11, earlier for brunch on the weekends. It closes at 2AM, is open all week, and hires a wide array of personnel including hosts, waiters, bartenders, DJs, bouncers, chefs, kitchen help, bus boys, etc. Chickfila 7am - 9pm six days a week, has limited opportunities outside of management for growth, does not offer tips for its staff (a huge selling point for working in that location), and does not provide as much tax revenue to the city. Because the HQ is outside of the state, further funds are diverted away from Boston. I don't see how a bar could have less staff the a CFA.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I find it very odd that the left, who hate business, is trying to force a business to accept their version of social justice.

No one should give a crap what the CEO of a business believes in or not and no one should give a crap if they are closed on Sundays.

Are they breaking any laws ? Are they refusing service to anyone ? Are they refusing to hire people ?

Are social issues that important to people ?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Well I have to say kudos to Mumbles for holding his ground. Chick-Fil-A makes no sense in Massachusetts, a state proud to have been the first to allow gay marriage, and it certainly didn't make sense at that location across the street from a monument of the sad results of blind bigotry and hatred (the Holocaust Memorial). Boston isn't a city with a lot of major chains in the first place, and I for one am happy that this chain specifically will have a much harder time finding a place in the city.
It should also be noted that Boston has managed to keep Walmart out of the city as well because of the damage it would do to locally owned businesses and the wrong kind of job growth for the city. You don't hear Bostonians complaining.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
That was my point. Government should not legislate marriage at all IMO. That is not their role.
Then I agree. We should all be fighting together, not against each other.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Boston is not going to be hurting because they turned Chick-Fil-A away. That is a prime location and it will be snapped up soon enough by a business the city and its residents can hopefully be proud of. Chicago isn't going to suffer either. In the end, not even Chick-Fil-A is going to suffer just b/c they couldn't expand into these markets. This recent backlash is going to hurt them, but there's still people who love them in the Bible Belt so it's not like the company is going to go bankrupt.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm pretty tired of the Chick Fil A Thing.

1)I hate fast food

2)I don't believe the government has any business giving ANY adult a license to marry. It's none of their business. I'm against straight marriage and gay marriage and all other kinds of marriage that need a license. We should all....gay and straight...be united against that.

3)Everyone has a right to their opinion on homosexuality and heterosexuality. No one is going to be convinced with all the yelling and opining.
finally clairity.... I agree. (except I dont hate fast food...)

Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I find it very odd that the left, who hate business, is trying to force a business to accept their version of social justice.

No one should give a crap what the CEO of a business believes in or not and no one should give a crap if they are closed on Sundays.

Are they breaking any laws ? Are they refusing service to anyone ? Are they refusing to hire people ?

Are social issues that important to people ?
Should cities not have a say on what sort of businesses set up shop within the limits? All cities and towns want to preserve a certain image. Some towns won't even allow a Starbucks to open within limits b/c it's a national chain. Many cities block Walmart from opening up b/c of the threat to smaller stores this mega-big box store creates. If the mayor doesn't want a specific brand to open up in the city b/c he believes its values don't match up with those of the city, he is welcome to do so. Bostonians who disagree with his view are free to not vote for him. Frankly, I've always like the fact that local chains and independent stores and shops outnumber larger chains. I like the business atmosphere in the Boston area and for the most part, residents don't lack much.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Boston isn't a city with a lot of major chains in the first place, and I for one am happy that this chain specifically will have a much harder time finding a place in the city.

What ???? There are thousands of chain restaurants in Boston. Have you ever been there?

Just in case you need help, here is a list. It includes 98 McDonalds, hundreds of donut shops and every chain known to mankind (except CFA).

Boston restaurant chains | Urbanspoon

Old 07-26-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Should cities not have a say on what sort of businesses set up shop within the limits? All cities and towns want to preserve a certain image. Some towns won't even allow a Starbucks to open within limits b/c it's a national chain. Many cities block Walmart from opening up b/c of the threat to smaller stores this mega-big box store creates.

No. If it's a legal operation, they should not decide which companies can locate there.

Do you want your city council deciding what stores you can shop at? Or would you prefer that the local market make that decision?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm pretty tired of the Chick Fil A Thing.

1)I hate fast food

2)I don't believe the government has any business giving ANY adult a license to marry. It's none of their business. I'm against straight marriage and gay marriage and all other kinds of marriage that need a license. We should all....gay and straight...be united against that.

3)Everyone has a right to their opinion on homosexuality and heterosexuality. No one is going to be convinced with all the yelling and opining.

Agree. You must be a Libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies