Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 01:39 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
You can marry anyone you want, why do you need the government to approve it? Why would you want to marry? Love? benefits? Personally i married for love, I never once thought about any benefit and after 34 years I still don't know what these benefits are I have.
Legal marriage with ALL that rights, and privileges that come with it. If it is so unimportant to you, get a divorce legally. Give up all the government rights.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It's a way of life for these people. According to them, it's part of who they are. Thus, the sin cannot be extricated from the person, or so I'm told by them since they are all up in arms about it not being a lifestyle or a choice. I see none of them saying they are trying to repent of their homosexuality.
And have you asked anyone to stop working on the Sabbath Day? Have you sought to make it a requirement for the right to marry and adopt?

At any rate, I don't see how it's better to penalize someone for something that (for all you know) they can't control than for something we all know for a fact is a choice. And not working on the Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments, am I right? Does this just not matter?

(because there's money in it...?)

Old 08-02-2012, 01:40 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
http://nation.foxnews.com/chick-fil/2012/08/02/media-launches-scathing-attacks-threats-against-chick-fil

I think there's a damn good chance it might get nasty on Friday!

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You can marry the person you are attracted to, is of, age, non related, and consenting.

I can't

And I can't marry my dog. So we have the exact same restrictions on our rights to marriage. You want to change those restrictions to fit your lifestyle while at the same time keeping restrictions on other people who are not like you.

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
You not caring about inequality does not mean no one else should

For the millionth time,

Heterosexuals can marry whoever they're attracted to that's of the legal age to consent, unrelated, and unmarried. Homosexuals cannot.

Why not?

There, now you should be caught up with everyone else.
Heterosexuals can also adopt as couples, be guaranteed visitation rights when their spouse is in the hospital, and be guaranteed the right to make medical decisions for an unconscious spouse. Heterosexuals can not be fired on the basis of their sexual orientation alone in any state.
Homosexuals do not have this right. Gay people cannot adopt as couples with many agencies, cannot be guaranteed to be allowed to visit their own partner or child if they are not legally married, and cannot be guaranteed protection against job discrimination. Heterosexual married couples are allowed insurance and housing benefits in many scenarios where homosexuals are not granted equal treatment. It’s not just about being married, or a piece of paper, or a word. If it was just about a piece of appear or a word, then heterosexuals would have no problem giving up their marriages right. Somehow that isn’t what I’m hearing from most people in the straight crowd, though.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:41 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,714,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
1) Tolerance doesn't include the tolerance of intolerance of others.

Then you ought to be very happy that Christians might show some intolerance towards the intolerant Left. The DIFFERENCE is that this entire boycott controversy wasn't started by Christian intolerance, but the other way around.

Quote:
2) Sadly this happens on both sides... or have you not seen the video of t-partiers attending local congressional meetings?
At Townhall meetings where the entire PURPOSE is to voice your opinions. Its the ONLY chance they have to speak directly to their elected officials.

You don't see gangs of Conservatives going to a college and shouting down invited speakers.

Quote:
Free speech? Nonviolent Protest--- Y'know, those pesky rights...
Exactly!! BOTH sides have it. Once side started it. The other side responded in a like manner.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:42 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
If your golf clubs are over 18 and can sign a legally binding contract, knock yourself out!

Why do you want to have those rules? Who decided that those rules apply to marriage? You?

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
OK, pardon me for the blanket statement (my bad). But it can not be denied that many are caught up in this toxic nonsense.

hmmm.... guy says he supports traditional marriage. Christians nod and move on. Gay people go nuts. threaten boycots, mayors from 4 or 5 of the largest cities in the country threaten the constitutional rights of the business. Christians take notice.... decide hey this is one of ours being attacked.... they join the discussion and start eating chicken....

Now us christians wouldnt have even taken notice if it werent for CFA being called bigots, being boycotted and threated with extermination.

Populist rhetoric? No. RESPONDING TO ATTACK FROM BULLIES. That is what Christians have done.

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Quote:
Washington Post columnist Sally Quinn urged homosexuals to “infiltrate” the privately owned company.

“Make the restaurants gay hangouts of the community,” she wrote. “Gays and lesbians could start applying for jobs at Chick-fil-A. Get in there. Become managers, take over the places.”

MSNBC contributor Jonathan Capehart urged protesters to bully the restaurant chain.

“Find out who is affiliated with Chick-fil-A in any way and put pressure on those folks,” he said.

Read more: Media Launches Scathing Attacks, Threats Against Chick-fil-A - Chick-fil-A - Fox Nation
Yes. The iconoclasts want to do with Chick-fil-A what they did with the school system, and what they'd like to do with the Boy Scouts.

If you can't beat em, join em... change and destroy em.

Backlash is coming.

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Why are so many Christians obsessed with populist rhetoric like gay marriage and gun control? Did everyone see the massive lines of Evangelical Christians from yesterday lining up to volunteer at food banks, homeless shelters and senior citizen centers this morning?!? Ya, neither did I. That would be, you know, Christ-like.
What are you talking about clown, christians give the most out of any group in the country!

"The differences in charity between secular and religious people are dramatic. Religious people are 25 percentage points more likely than secularists to donate money (91 percent to 66 percent) and 23 points more likely to volunteer time (67 percent to 44 percent). And, consistent with the findings of other writers, these data show that practicing a religion is more important than the actual religion itself in predicting charitable behavior. For example, among those who attend worship services regularly, 92 percent of Protestants give charitably, compared with 91 percent of Catholics, 91 percent of Jews, and 89 percent from other religions."

Religious Faith and Charitable Giving | Hoover Institution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies