Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 02:01 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,263,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
BS, what rights are they being denied that a straight person is granted? None!

FYI, I'm straight, and the current laws deny me marriage to same sex as well.
The right to marry the person you love, who is a consenting, non related adult, and the over 1400 government privileges that go along with a state marriage license.

Since you are straight it doesn't have any effect on you that I can't get married. How would you feel if you were only allowed to marry someone of the same sex?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:03 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,061,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
that was discrimination

marriage in that case was still between a MAN AND A WOMEN race was the problem there .marriage was NOT redifined it was and still is between a MAN & WOMEN

homosexuality is NOT a race
Discrimination is not confined to races.

Quote:
by making a partnership between those of the *same sex* a marriage YOU ARE REDIFINING MARRIAGE
Marriage has been redefined numerous times thorughout the ages.

Why start complaining about it now?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,954,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
I have stated time after that the government at the federal, state and local levels are out of control with historic preservation regulations on private property that the owners do not want. Recently as everyone is aware, Chick fil A wants to open locations in Chicago, Boston and San Francisco. There is talk by the Mayors and Alderman in these cities to deny the business permits based on political views. I am a supporter of gay marriage for the record. But the same Christian conservaties we have calling "foul" on this issue, were calling for the NYC Mosque to not be allowed to be built.

Some of you may remember Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly complaining and yelling about the Muslims being allowed to build that place of worship. I also want to give a hypothetical. If Chick fil A was a anti-Christian company and funded anti-Christian groups, would you same Christians still be marching and protesting? I would say you would be, but to not allow Chick fil A to open (the very thing you are protesting against right now).

Everyone needs to understand that freedom, liberty and property rights extend to everyone...including those you do not agree with.
alright, lets talk about hypocrisy then shall we? dan cathy makes his views on gay marriage known to the world, and what happens? the gay marriage movement and the liberals want him out of business. on the other hand, there are MANY black church leaders, and MANY muslims who have ALSO made statements AGAINST gay marriage, but where are the gay marriage movement protests against them?

as for the mosque, it was right near ground zero where MUSLIMS killed 3,000 people in a terrorist attack. that is just muslims stepping up and showing that they won that battle by putting a mosque rigtht next where they killed people. i was against that. there was a mosque that was supposed to be built in tennessee, but it was being blocked, i am against that mosque being blocked.

and in addition, the city of new york refused to allow a christian church that was destroyed in the 9/11 attack to be rebuilt. so technically there is no hypocrisy there as both buildings were denied.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:05 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,263,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A local station (ABC, channel 7) estimated there would be 50-75 protesters. Wow, what a huge turnout!
Do you realize that some of us are simply not going there and spending money?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:06 PM

24,522 posts, read 33,401,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Where is this historical man and woman definition of marriage?
How about these:

"I now pronounce you man and wife."

"We are gathered here today to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony."

Old 08-04-2012, 02:07 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,488,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The right to marry the person you love, who is a consenting, non related adult, and the over 1400 government privileges that go along with a state marriage license.

Since you are straight it doesn't have any effect on you that I can't get married. How would you feel if you were only allowed to marry someone of the same sex?
These are not rights, these are laws. I didnt say that I agree with them, honesty, for the most part, they dont interfere with my life. Let them get married. Who the hell cares.

What I have problems is the pro gay crowd rubbing in everywhere I go. I get it, I think its gross, but I get it. Stop making a big deal over it.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you realize that some of us are simply not going there and spending money?
Yeah, that must have been the reason. Sure!

Didn't have to spend money. Just stand outside like those (very few) dummies I saw on TV holding silly signs.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Marriage has been redefined numerous times thorughout the ages.
U.S. (federal) law has only recognized one man-one woman marriage... the way it should always be.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,043,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yeah, that must have been the reason. Sure!

Didn't have to spend money. Just stand outside like those (very few) dummies I saw on TV holding silly signs.
Those "dummies" have much more conviction of purpose than you ever had or will. They are the underdogs in this fight.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:21 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,944,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
To some gay people who are denied their rights, it is a HUGE issue.
Right.....gays are denied their rights BECAUSE religious nuts make it an issue when it shouldn't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies