Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 04:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
More specifically - that the toys can be easily swallowed by small children.
http://www.asipublications.com/Couns...nt.aspx?id=252

Not true

Quote:
The timing and circumstances surrounding the differences over the promotional toys have fueled an ongoing public feud between Chick-fil-A and Henson. Recently, Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy acknowledged that he does not support gay marriage, which prompted Henson to sever ties with the restaurant. Henson chief executive Lisa Henson is a strong supporter of gay marriage and, following Cathy's statements, directed her company to donate all puppet-related payments from Chick-fil-A to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

Before the feud, the Jim Henson Company had agreed to provide Chick-fil-A with kids' meal toys through August 18. Henson now says it won't work with Chick-fil-A again. "The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over fifty years, and we have notified Chick-fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors," the company said.
Interestingly, they replaced them with Berenstain Bears books and the Berenstains are not happy, but the deal was with the publisher Harper Collins.

‘Berenstain Bears’ Authors Keep Their Distance from Chick-fil-A Controversy | NewsFeed | TIME.com

Old 08-04-2012, 04:39 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,799,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
We don't have mob rule here.
The majority can not vote to deny the minority rights. Sorry. We have a system of government that works to prevent that.
Yes we have the constitution but even the constitution can be changed by majority vote.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
it's not up to you to tell other Americans what they should be concerned about.
Tell that to the gay protesters at the damn chicken restaurants, will you?

I'm sure they'll be glad to hear from you.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:14 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Tell that to the gay protesters at the damn chicken restaurants, will you?

I'm sure they'll be glad to hear from you.
Would you like to be lumped in with everything every heterosexual does?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Would you like to be lumped in with everything every heterosexual does?
Tel you what. Make it Michael Phelps, Brad Pitt, and Abraham Lincoln, and I'll take it.

And you get James McGreevey, George Michael, and Herman Goering.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:27 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,653,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
two people kissing is disgusting? well damn, they should ban them from public parks, school, the buses ,etc then
A man and a woman kissing is not disgusting. It's "natural law."

Quote:
Marriage is a right, homosexual couples are being denied that right.

I don't have a gay birth certificate, or a gay social security number, and my marriage license won't say gay marriage.

Look at the states that already have SSM. They get the same license, and certificate that a heterosexual couple gets, it doesn't say "gay" anywhere on it.
Gay marriage not only appears to be a defiance against the Bible, but legalizing same sex marriage, "IMO," defies the authority of the Bible.

Now enough about the Bible.

Heterosexual marriage provides the best example of gender complementarity and teaches children the value of gender differences. Each gender has a unique contribution that can't be filled by the other and heterosexual marriage provides the environment in which children can best learn and deal with those differences.

Legal tyranny is entirely created when the basic laws defining marriage are changed to include same sex unions. Same sex couples who are married in one state will challenge their home state for legal recognition of their marriage, forcing the state to create a law by decree, not by the will of the majority of citizens of that state through the ballot box. The courts and the governments will be enforcing changes that conflict with a wide array of ordinary liberties.

Committed monogamous relationships are not even the norm in the gay community! I have gay friends who wholly agree with me on this and when asked about their option on gay marriage, their answers were along the lines of, "Not so much." If you are the exception [for now]- great! But it is not the norm. The essence of gay liberation is based on promiscuous sex.

Male homosexuals also have double the rate of alcohol abuse as heterosexual males. The rate of alcoholism for lesbians is seven times greater than for heterosexual women. (American Journal of Public Health 83, 1993). Spendid. Let's add a couple of cloned children into that mix. This is not ALL about religion as many want to believe.

I could go on [because of course there are a few more weighing factors] - but it's Saturday night and I've got to go.

In closing, Arus, I'm sorry - but - whether your marriage certificate is the same as heterosexual couples or not, we just cannot afford to add pneumonia to a culture that is already fighting a bad cold. Sure, there are "more important" issues in the world TODAY. But today's major issues are the "little" issues from YESTERDAY that could have been prevented early on if dealt with right then and there, instead of conveniently having had turned a blind eye thinking it would fix itself. This is tomorrow's big issue. From gay divorce to gay custody battles with laws that are not even governed for it - and with ongoing research that suggests that the average same sex relationship lasts on average of two years, the potential cost to our legal system may not be so pretty.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
http://www.asipublications.com/Couns...nt.aspx?id=252
they replaced them with Berenstain Bears books and the Berenstains are not happy
Well, I can see their concern - every one knows Bears are gay

RichTrove: Best of IBR 2010 - YouTube

International Bear Rendezvous 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_(gay_culture)

Old 08-04-2012, 05:32 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
On that I largely agree with you, always on the condition that said consenting adults not be be engaged in planning a terrorist attack or other violent act. In that case, I think it is the government's role to be very concerned indeed.
Well, I'm typically not someone who likes to say "Mind your own business" or anything of that nature. I believe that everything is everyone's business. But to concern yourself with homosexuality specifically, despite a lack of evidence that it is necessarily harmful to anyone or anything borders on obsession. Not a good thing to encourage in government, IMHO.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Tel you what. Make it Michael Phelps, Brad Pitt, and Abraham Lincoln, and I'll take it.

And you get James McGreevey, George Michael, and Herman Goering.

Nah, you get Manson, Pol Pot and Buresh.
We get Di Vinci, Socrates, and Hans Christian Anderson.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
A man and a woman kissing is not disgusting. It's "natural law."

Gay marriage not only appears to be a defiance against the Bible, but legalizing same sex marriage, "IMO," defies the authority of the Bible.

Now enough about the Bible.

Heterosexual marriage provides the best example of gender complementarity and teaches children the value of gender differences. Each gender has a unique contribution that can't be filled by the other and heterosexual marriage provides the environment in which children can best learn and deal with those differences.

Legal tyranny is entirely created when the basic laws defining marriage are changed to include same sex unions. Same sex couples who are married in one state will challenge their home state for legal recognition of their marriage, forcing the state to create a law by decree, not by the will of the majority of citizens of that state through the ballot box. The courts and the governments will be enforcing changes that conflict with a wide array of ordinary liberties.

Committed monogamous relationships are not even the norm in the gay community! I have gay friends who wholly agree with me on this and when asked about their option on gay marriage, their answers were along the lines of, "Not so much." If you are the exception [for now]- great! But it is not the norm. The essence of gay liberation is based on promiscuous sex.

Male homosexuals also have double the rate of alcohol abuse as heterosexual males. The rate of alcoholism for lesbians is seven times greater than for heterosexual women. (American Journal of Public Health 83, 1993). Spendid. Let's add a couple of cloned children into that mix. This is not ALL about religion as many want to believe.

I could go on [because of course there are a few more weighing factors] - but it's Saturday night and I've got to go.

In closing, Arus, I'm sorry - but - whether your marriage certificate is the same as heterosexual couples or not, we just cannot afford to add pneumonia to a culture that is already fighting a bad cold. Sure, there are "more important" issues in the world TODAY. But today's major issues are the "little" issues from YESTERDAY that could have been prevented early on if dealt with right then and there, instead of conveniently having had turned a blind eye thinking it would fix itself. This is tomorrow's big issue. From gay divorce to gay custody battles with laws that are not even governed for it - and with ongoing research that suggests that the average same sex relationship lasts on average of two years, the potential cost to our legal system may not be so pretty.
Legal tyranny? Seriously? I stopped there. Will you be required to marry someone of the same sex? NO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies