Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 11:30 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,010,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Oh I know, I don't know why I bother. I guess since it affects me personally, it hurts more, and these nasty people don't realize how harmful their attitude is. And then to have the audacity and claim they are followers of Christ, who taught love, compassion and mercy for the outcasts is so irritating. These are truly the people who Jesus said he doesn't not know, for they bear horrible fruit and as they judge others, so will they be judged.
Well, just know that there are plenty of heterosexuals who are willing to fight for equality and acceptance for ALL. I am not personally affected by it but I have seen more than once how hatred and discrimination have affected homosexual friends of mine. It is appalling and shameful that there are still people out there who openly and proudly voice such hatred. Alas, I think (and truly hope) that their days are numbered...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 11:32 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,501,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Well, just know that there are plenty of heterosexuals who are willing to fight for equality and acceptance for ALL. I am not personally affected by it but I have seen more than once how hatred and discrimination have affected homosexual friends of mine. It is appalling and shameful that there are still people out there who openly and proudly voice such hatred. Alas, I think (and truly hope) that their days are numbered...

This sums up my feelings on this issue very well.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:33 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,807,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post

We may not choose it, but that doesn't mean that other people don't. Ask a gay person why they would choose it, I have.

Again, just because some people wouldn't choose it, doesn't mean that other's wouldn't.
How do they choose it? You can't voluntarily pick who you are attracted to. It's a chemical reaction in the brain, not picking out a pair of shoes to wear.

I work with a lot of gays and not a single one of them chose their orientation.

Quote:
What does being Conservative have to do with being religious? Or being Liberal? Absolutely nothing!
You do realize there are conservative religious folks and liberal religious right? We're not talking about politics. Evangelicals/Fundamentalists, like Southern Baptists, are conservative in their religious views. Unitarian, MCC, Presbyterian, etc. are more liberal.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Both my uncles are gay, one of them denies it, but we all know he is. My uncle, who is out of the closet, and his partner have been together for 20+ years. They have 2 best friends who are gay, both of them consider me their niece, and I consider them my uncles, one of them died suddenly 3 years ago. I have known them, literally, all my life, and I am very close with them. I have grown up around a lot of their other friends. I have 4 friends who are gay/lesbian/bi, I am very close with them one of them is my best friend.
p.s. I meant that I don't agree with homophobia.
Ok, and yet you still view it as a "lifestyle choice". Why? Do you believe your uncles and friends chose to be gay?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,149,020 times
Quote:
Oh I know, I don't know why I bother. I guess since it affects me personally, it hurts more, and these nasty people don't realize how harmful their attitude is. And then to have the audacity to claim they are followers of Christ, who taught love, compassion and mercy for the outcasts of society is so irritating. These truly must be the people who Jesus said he does not know, for they bear horrible fruit and as they judge others, so will they be judged.
Have you read any of my other posts?! Probably not, because they were more towards the begining. Here are some...

"I personal don't have a problem with these two kissing. She was coming home that's a big deal whether you are straight or gay. It's a sweet picture, not a sleazy picture. Not a big deal."

"God has also said not to judge. What they do has nothing to do with you, or anyone else."

"Love part is still the same. These two people obviously love each other.... These two weren't having sex. They were innocently kissing, and it's a beautiful thing to see two people loving each other in this messed up world that we live in."

Old 12-22-2011, 11:42 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,084,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

This sums up my feelings on this issue very well.
Mine too! I may not be part of the gay community, but I will always stand beside and defend them.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,084,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
According to that Brian dude, you could (and should) be choosing to not be attracted to Brad. It's as easy as simply choosing to really love Balut as a snack. Or to be black for the day (if you happen to be caucasian, for example). I, for one, am going as a homosexual Asian tomorrow - by choice. What about you?
Hmmmmm... I have always wanted to be a Puerto Rican gay man. They seem like fun!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Ok, and yet you still view it as a "lifestyle choice". Why? Do you believe your uncles and friends chose to be gay?
IMO everyone chooses how they live. My parent's chose love each other. My uncles choose to love each other. I could be wrong. I'll have to do more research, and I am open to being wrong. But my opinion, as it stands right now, with the way that I think, the people I've talked to, and the things that I've asked them, its that they choose it. But again, I could be wrong. I'll let you know in a few months if I still feel the same.
Just because I think they choose it, doesn't mean that I love them any less. They are always there for me, and I don't think they would be there, in certain ways, if they weren't gay. But that doesn't mean that I agree with their life style, but I don't judge them for it either.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Hmmmmm... I have always wanted to be a Puerto Rican gay man. They seem like fun!
On a lighter note......... They are. lol.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
IMO everyone chooses how they live. My parent's chose love each other. My uncles choose to love each other. I could be wrong. I'll have to do more research, and I am open to being wrong. But my opinion, as it stands right now, with the way that I think, the people I've talked to, and the things that I've asked them, its that they choose it. But again, I could be wrong. I'll let you know in a few months if I still feel the same.
Just because I think they choose it, doesn't mean that I love them any less. They are always there for me, and I don't think they would be there, in certain ways, if they weren't gay. But that doesn't mean that I agree with their life style, but I don't judge them for it either.
I can assure you they didn't choose it. We don't choose who we fall in love with, it just happens. It's no different than heterosexuals. If a man sees a beautiful woman walk by, he doesn't pause, think to himself, "Gee, I wonder if I'm going to find this woman attractive today or not". It's an instantaneous, involuntary reaction. It's no different with gays.

To start you on your research, however:

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality

"most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation."

I can tell you, I absolutely did not choose my orientation. I've known since I was 3 years old. And I spent 15 years trying to get God to change it, because I couldn't deal with the stigma, self-loathing, and discrimination. Didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies