Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US Citizenship or Canadian Citizenship
US Citizenship 20 58.82%
Canadian Citizenship 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:25 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times

Advertisements

Which one has more value? These two citizenships are by far the most valuable in the world. They both offer great perks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
I hold Canadian citizenship, planning on getting US citizenship as soon as I am able to.

I can tell you this, it's a god damn pain in the rear to do anything relating to Canadian citizenship. I have to replace my passport but to do so I need a "citizenship card" and I don't know where the hell mine is. So I put in a request to the Canadian government for a new one and it takes over a year to get it. Then probably another six months of waiting for the passport.

I don't think I can get Canada's Medicare either since I haven't ever lived there (I got the citizenship through my father). Probably have to live there for at least a year before I can qualify.

Ugh. Seems much easier for an American to go to the post office and get it done there. I can't wait till I become a US citizen, it'll make things a lot easier (although as a permanent resident it's not too bad). I'll be able to vote and get security clearances (which is great because the kinds of jobs I'm interested in require them).

Old 12-23-2011, 01:49 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Which one has more value? These two citizenships are by far the most valuable in the world. They both offer great perks.
How so?

These statements seems rather presumptuous and self-centered. I have a feeling there are a few hundred million Europeans, Asians, and Australians who would vehemently disagree with you.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:21 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Most people would rate the Scandinavian citizenships highest. Lots of perks, social freedoms, strong economies and the freedom of the EU.

On the other hand, English is effectively the world language, and many people would not want the effort of learning a new language. In which case New Zealand and Australia seems the top citizenships.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:48 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
If Im not miostaken a Canadian citizenship recognizes dual citizenship, a US one dosnt. I may be wrong.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
If Im not miostaken a Canadian citizenship recognizes dual citizenship, a US one dosnt. I may be wrong.
You can hold dual citizenship as a US citizen.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:25 AM

629 posts, read 771,375 times
People immigrate to Canada to then immigrate to the US. The reverse of that rarely happens

Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
You are wrong:

Dual nationality can occur as the result of a variety of circumstances. The automatic acquisition or retention of a foreign nationality, acquired, for example, by birth in a foreign country or through an alien parent, does not affect U.S. citizenship.

Advice about Possible Loss of U.S. Citizenship and Dual Nationality

U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

Old 12-23-2011, 10:44 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Yes you can be a dual citizen in America. I have friends who claim a parent from both the US and the UK and they have passports from both countries. No problems.

As for the OP, that is like asking which is better, Godfather Part I or Part II.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:55 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
People immigrate to Canada to then immigrate to the US. The reverse of that rarely happens

yeah, I know several people who have done that because it is easier to immigrate from Canada.

Which is odd because to me, Canada is like any other US state out there. I go to Vancouver BC a lot and other than the KPH and Liters, it doesn't look all that different.

But as I have said, I know people who, as they put it, "roughed it in Canada for couple of years to get a US citizenship"

But yeah, there was an article in the Vancouver Sun several years back about how a lot of Asians, especially from China, were doing that and the Canadian officials were gonna try and stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies