Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:28 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
You just rendered your entire argument a joke by claiming that Spotted Al Bore is NOT hypocritical. The guy zips around the country ON A PRIVATE JET giving speeches about how the rest of us are using too much energy and being unfriendly to the environment. In addition, he's living in an obnoxiously monstrous home he has NO need for -- it's just him and his wife, his kids are grown and screwing up the world on their own -- and using 20 times the power of an average house.

Scientific evidence, like statistics, can be skewed to support ANY argument. This is a skill that Spotted Al has admittedly honed close to perfection. However, there's also plenty of evidence out there to support the conclusion that global warming is all a bunch of bunk.

A t-shirt I saw at the mall sums it up pretty well: "Gore didn't invent the Internet...... but he did make up global warming!"
If you actually would have read what I wrote, I told you why Gore is not hypocritical, and then told you that even if I argue on YOUR terms and suppose he is, that his message is on base and should be listened to. You have found a man guilty of gluttony (supposedly) In this nation, that should hardly be a reason to discredit someone (it is kinda sorta in our blood here) You, Sir, have receded to a point where you are making the same argument now (after pages of debate) that you made on your original post. That is pathetic. You will always find people to debunk arguments, expecially global warming. A vast majority of scientists are believers in global warming. There are people who deny the Holocaust. It still happened. Again, while T-Shirts may be amusing for us both (and while they may be just simplistic enough to state your political leanings), they serve little purpose in debate. Please, keep it up. You are slowly proving that you have little basis for your beliefs besides a couple talking points. You have displaced you disbelief in Global Warming for a hatred of Gore and his supposed gluttony. I would bet that you would trade houses with him, given the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Amazingly, virtually every significant scientific society in the world agrees with the premises of Al Gore and expresses complete lack of agreement with the premise that global warming is all a bunch of bunk.
Probably because most scientists are flaming liberals by nature who are just as brainwashed as you by the likes of, you guessed it, Spotted Al Bore.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:12 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Damn, it's like being in a room full of 4 year olds. "Al is doing it, why can't I?"

I firmly believe global warming is a problem. Did we cause it with our cars? No. it's a normal weather cylic event IMO. If it's not happening, please explain to me what happened to a third of the polar ice cap? Did you take it?

Everybody says that it's bunk because the highest recorded temps were in the 1930's. Yeah, here in the US they were. Not at the caps.

Every few hundred years, the weather sways one way or the other. Take a look at the midwest the past few years. If anybody says the winters have been the same for years, is out to lunch. Back in the 70's we lost many many days of school due to weather. Snow piled up in 6 to 10 ft drifts. The last few years, we get 6-8 inches, melts away. 3-4 inches, melts away. Last year, we had one good snow. We used to get 10 or 12 in a year.

Yes, global warming is a problem. But we were not the sole cause.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:02 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Probably because most scientists are flaming liberals by nature who are just as brainwashed as you by the likes of, you guessed it, Spotted Al Bore.
Yeah, that's a terrific theory. The people who can recognize actual evidence when they see it are the ones who have a problem. I'm sure that'll check out in the lab...

Old 09-01-2007, 02:30 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Quote:
You just rendered your entire argument a joke by claiming that Spotted Al Bore is NOT hypocritical. The guy zips around the country ON A PRIVATE JET giving speeches about how the rest of us are using too much energy and being unfriendly to the environment. In addition, he's living in an obnoxiously monstrous home he has NO need for -- it's just him and his wife, his kids are grown and screwing up the world on their own -- and using 20 times the power of an average house.

Scientific evidence, like statistics, can be skewed to support ANY argument. This is a skill that Spotted Al has admittedly honed close to perfection. However, there's also plenty of evidence out there to support the conclusion that global warming is all a bunch of bunk.

A t-shirt I saw at the mall sums it up pretty well: "Gore didn't invent the Internet...... but he did make up global warming!"
thank you, after reading through some of the latest threads I thought the far lefty extremists had taken over the the entire group..
Love that t-shirt too, now I'm gonna have to go to the mall and find one for myself or hopefully I can find it online, this isn't the weekend to go to the mall
Quote:
Oh, please. This is right out of Milton Friedman and the supply-side Chicago School in general. You don't rely on government mandates or consfiscation. You create markets that allow the offender and the offended to settle up their accounts. They've won freaking Nobel Prizes for this kind of stuff, and now it's a scam???
uhh, yes...

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-04-2007 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 09-02-2007, 11:29 PM

502 posts, read 1,065,963 times
I don't feel like it's Gore that is politicizing the issue so much as it is his retractors. They just keep attacking the man rather than the argument... but for what reason?

I agree with jgussler. The place is heating up, and I've seen it happen dramatically in my lifetime. Humanity may not be the sole reason, but we're certainly not helping the situation. Where is the harm in toning things down? What possible problem can folks like rd2007 and pimpy have with this idea? A population reliant on a finite energy source should quite obviously find ways to make that source last longer. A population living on a planet where water is so absolutely vital to life should take steps to make sure that water is as usable and healthy as possible... or at least simply that it stays around.

Surely Gore's detractors don't actually hate forests and rivers... That's ludicrous. But to suggest that everything's fine with the way such things are handled is ludicrous as well. I don't get where the anti-environment crowd is coming from.

Maybe it's the thought of being, somehow, inconvenienced. Maybe it's simply the idea of being told point-blank that they made an irresponsible choice when they bought their car. Maybe it's the thought that they might have to feel guilty about NASCAR. I don't know.

Pimpy? rd? Please, I'm curious.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:43 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Oh, please. This is right out of Milton Friedman and the supply-side Chicago School in general. You don't rely on government mandates or consfiscation. You create markets that allow the offender and the offended to settle up their accounts. They've won freaking Nobel Prizes for this kind of stuff, and now it's a scam???
Its a scam when it is being pushed at us by political groups, especially when Europe has been dealing with it for many years with little to no success in making an impact on their emissions. The BBC recently reported problems in China with plants purposely increasing their emissions now in case China gets involved in a global emission market, they can easily cut the emissions back down and sell the credits.

Not to mention, what about the super rich companies out there that would earn more by buying credits and not forking out money to fix their emission problems. That could easily happen and all it means is that the less profitable companies will be forced to push themselves to lower financial stability to meet requirements while the highly profitable companies take their time unconcerned about the 4 million in credits they will have to buy while earning 3 billion in profits for the year.

Is this what we really need since we only have 10 more years?

Play your little tax games all you want in economics. But if it is remotely true that we only have 10 years to make big changes, how is it going to help by enacting a plan that has been a failure so far in Europe? It will also mean nothing if China and India aren't held to standards as strict and regulated as everyone else, since by most estimates China has already surpassed the US as the #1 polluter in the world (and population is irrelavent if we are talking global environmental impact.)

Old 09-03-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
What was happening in China at the time? There is a difference between such terms as global, hemispheric, regional, and local. Always best to respect those differences.
The records aren't as good for many parts of the world simply because their aren't ice cores covering the world. Which means we many have seen MANY significant warmings and coolings in 100 year periods before, but without measurements being made and no ice cores to go by, the methods of calculating the differences are more challenging and less dependable. So its possible China had a significant warm-up or cool down, and very possible that the entire earth experienced a much more rapid change than we are now.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Certainly. And then we should examine the foundations for each of those messages. And when one of them turns out to be based upon a consensus among actual scientists, and the other turns out to be based upon a consensus among right-wing spinmeisters and intelligence fabricators, that difference should tell us something.
Certainly. And then we should examine the foundations for each of those messages. And when one of them turns out to be based upon a consensus among actual intelligence experts, and the other turns out to be based upon a consensus among left-wing spinmeisters and science manipulators, that difference should tell us something.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:18 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
I don't feel like it's Gore that is politicizing the issue so much as it is his retractors. They just keep attacking the man rather than the argument... but for what reason?

I agree with jgussler. The place is heating up, and I've seen it happen dramatically in my lifetime. Humanity may not be the sole reason, but we're certainly not helping the situation. Where is the harm in toning things down? What possible problem can folks like rd2007 and pimpy have with this idea? A population reliant on a finite energy source should quite obviously find ways to make that source last longer. A population living on a planet where water is so absolutely vital to life should take steps to make sure that water is as usable and healthy as possible... or at least simply that it stays around.

Surely Gore's detractors don't actually hate forests and rivers... That's ludicrous. But to suggest that everything's fine with the way such things are handled is ludicrous as well. I don't get where the anti-environment crowd is coming from.

Maybe it's the thought of being, somehow, inconvenienced. Maybe it's simply the idea of being told point-blank that they made an irresponsible choice when they bought their car. Maybe it's the thought that they might have to feel guilty about NASCAR. I don't know.

Pimpy? rd? Please, I'm curious.
Why are you asking ME what my problem is with toning things down? I live in a 1,000 sq-ft condo, drive a compact pick-up truck that gets over 30 miles per gallon, and have never had a utility bill in the triple-digits. I think that's pretty toned down, don't you?

If you want to beef with someone who seems to have a problem with "toning things down," why don't you talk to the guy whose electric bill runs in the thousands EVERY MONTH, lives in a house that's 10 times bigger than what he needs, and flies around via private jet on a weekly basis. His name is Spotted Al Bore, and he's the same idiot that's telling everyone but himself to "tone things down."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies