Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people continue to support trickle up poverty?
They're miserable and want everyone else to be equally miserable. 4 20.00%
They envy those who are smarter and harder-working than themselves. 7 35.00%
They're easily brainwashed by the Democrat Party and the media. 8 40.00%
They like being peasants. 2 10.00%
They're members of the arisocracy and they benefit from others' suffering. 4 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:39 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
These "opportunities" do exist but some are more advantaged than others.

Firstly there is a large hole in your claims in that our education is cheap. It is not. Most people who need to get somewhere these days need a University education. Our Universities are the most expensive in the world. This alone provides a large impairment gap to those who want an education but also do not want to indebt themselves.

Everyone has the "opportunity" to do something but many are more advantaged and are born into wealth and therefore get access to resources, networks and education others cannot get.

Everyone has the "opportunity" until a select few get it and take it away.

Of course there are going to be those that have an initial advantage over others. It has been that way since the beginning of time.

However, our nation provides the best opportunities that permit someone, regardless of race or economic class, to become rich. I did. I was a white trash trailer court kid and am now wealthy. That could not have happened in any other nation on earth. God Bless America.

Nothing valuable comes without sacrifice, work, and dedication. To those who do not value education, hard work, and sacrifice, nothing will ever come to them, despite their demands for "fairness".

The US is still THE NATION in which ANYONE can become well to do with enough effort and hard work. Don't sell this miracle for the cruel "comfort" of "equality". The USSR, North Korea, and Cuba have shown us that this is an outright lie.

Wake up- work hard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
Quote:
Lets shift to the other end of the spectrum. You don't think conservatives do the exact same thing or are you going to stay only consist with the side in which you hate?

Sorry but politicians on both sides do exactly what you said. I feel as though the right wing has the tendency to do it more than the left wing politicians, especially when it comes to foreign policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Please do regale us of exactly what the right has ever done to 'help' anybody.
As I have stated several times on this forum, I am a fierce independent. I never said that the right wing had all of the answers here... Frankly the extreme right is normally just as bad as the extreme left. Both are 100% self serving and care little about what the results of their policies inflict on the 75% of us who reside somewhere in the center politically.

I do stand by my statement that liberalism is terrible for the country.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:19 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
actually your glowing statements about bush are inaccurate. i remember the bush cry to support the AIG bailout. bush launched an unprovoked invasion and debted 6 trillion, just like obama. employment was nose diving b4 obama was sworn in. they are pretty much alike. black and white keys but the same piano.
reagan encouraged debt said it was meaningless, magic money. there was never trickle up poverty it was trickle down prosperity and that was bill clinton that said it. u have invented a new word, trickle up poverty, none of the men u quoted ever said it.
btw bill clinton reduced the national debt by 1/3.
u r rewriting history friend.
As a mostly Republican voter I will be the first to tell you that Bush was one of the least responsible Presidents we have ever had. He did lots of damage to the country and it will take decades to recover from his reckless spending and total lack of fiscal discipline. 2 wars, a huge tax cut and a new multi billion dollar Medicare entitlement all unpaid for. I don't think any Democrat, not even LBJ or FDR, could beat Bush for recklessness while in office. That said, Obama is pretty much kept up the reckless spending and in fact making it even worse. He should have been more responsible and cancelled the Bush tax cut and left the healthcare program for better times in a 2nd term after getting the budget under control. I am telling you that if we don't get this under control it will break the country sooner or later. There is not any free lunch. And the longer we wait the worse the austerity is going to be.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Stateisota,

You realize that the payroll tax cut is identical in theory to trickle-down economics...

The theory is that the reduction of taxes, usually in the rich, will trickle down and stimulate the economy. The rich were targeted primarily because they pay the most tax. In the case of unemployment and payroll taxes, the concept is the same. For a middle-class, married couple with two kids, the 2% reduction represents a 25% reduction in their total effective tax rate.

Obama and Pelosi and Reid are all on record as stating the payroll tax cut, food stamps, and unemployment insurance are the best form of stimulus as the money is injected into the economy.

Tell me why the theory is income dependent, please.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:19 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
Wow just bash the OP without providing any real facts of your own typical liberal

Well where would you want him to start? the Carter recession that was a result of Nixons spending and his work on OPEC making them a reality?

Most people with a clue realize the benefits reagan enjoyed came from the efforts of Carter.

Bush heading to a surplus... what the H is the OP smoking? He wiped out the housing market, the banking industry was allowed to run rampant, as were the Shearson, Bear Stearns, and that other one.... Lehman Brothers that bellied up and took the whole financial market with it.

His spending took us from 3.5 T deficit to 11T, he had a 1T + war, Medicare Part D which was unfunded and will cost the county 1/2T... Surplus my a$$.

Obama Depression... ...get real it was ALL W's

and you wonder why someone wouldn't list anything to this inane post? he was right The OP wants to stick to lala faux entertainment, no news there.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:29 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
btw bill clinton reduced the national debt by 1/3.
u r rewriting history friend.
BTW, When Bill Clinton was in office the national debt increased by $1,288,000,000.

And you accuse others of rewriting history.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:22 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
The way I see trickle up economics--the area around Washington DC is now unquestionably the richest region in the country. Fairfax County VA, Loundoun Cty, Maryland etc, have been in the top 5 for some time, but now undisputed #1. The richer DC gets, the more flyover country is flown into poverty. Obama takes million dollar vacations to Hawaii, while we are left with 'stay-cations.'

Old 12-24-2011, 06:24 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Yes God forbid liberals try to promote social liberties and help the middle class while neo-cons wage and waste money on pointless foreign wars and start class wars in our own country.
What I can not fathom is how the left tells us over and over they help the middle class. The left does nothing to help the middle class. The right does nothing either. They both are self-serving. Trickle up doesn't work.. trickle down doesn't work. The middle class are screwed either way.... Being in the middle of a pissing-match your just going to get pee'd on no matter which way the wind blows....

Old 12-24-2011, 06:30 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wow, nice selection...you really love Faux News talking points.

Trickle-down instead always seems like golden showers from the rich.
What does MSNBC have to do with this?

Old 12-24-2011, 06:44 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
As a mostly Republican voter I will be the first to tell you that Bush was one of the least responsible Presidents we have ever had. He did lots of damage to the country and it will take decades to recover from his reckless spending and total lack of fiscal discipline. 2 wars, a huge tax cut and a new multi billion dollar Medicare entitlement all unpaid for. I don't think any Democrat, not even LBJ or FDR, could beat Bush for recklessness while in office. That said, Obama is pretty much kept up the reckless spending and in fact making it even worse. He should have been more responsible and cancelled the Bush tax cut and left the healthcare program for better times in a 2nd term after getting the budget under control. I am telling you that if we don't get this under control it will break the country sooner or later. There is not any free lunch. And the longer we wait the worse the austerity is going to be.
Bush's two tax cuts were not "huge." The John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan tax cuts were bigger. Besides, there is nothing wrong with tax cuts... they help stimulate the economy and increase government revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies