Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:26 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,550,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Then why are more and more restrictions implied for the law abiding citizen?

Why not enforce the current laws we have?

Some criminals when released, go straight....no doubt in my mind....it's the ones who don't care about laws, are the ones we need to worry about....

I can guarantee you don't have to worry about me and or my friends about breaking guns laws....

Are there people that currently have guns and are law abiding, will they kill someone, it has happened, I'm sure.....

Why not worry about this problem....
Eric Holder: More cops slain by illegal guns - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

Who do you think were using these illegal guns?

There are problems with enforcing every law because people lie, cheat and steal and cops can't be everywhere at once. I don't see your point unless you think cops know what everybody is doing all the time and can pounce on 'em before they break the law. Of course, that begs the question of how you arrest someone who hasn't broken the law yet, but that's another civil rights discussion.

You seem to think laws can be crafted specifically forbidding illegal activity for those who are...well, committing illegal activity. How on earth?

In case you hadn't noticed, laws apply to everyone equally and one is not a criminal until he breaks that law. Consequently, if you want to do something about criminals, you must pass laws which makes what they are doing a criminal act and then catch them when they do. Most criminals will not turn themselves in, you know?

Take the speed limit, for instance. It applies to all drivers and one is not a criminal until he goes faster than the limit AND gets caught doing it. We all speed, but we all don't get caught and charged. Are we therefore all criminals? So, you want to craft a new speeding law targeting those who are already speeding. How will you do that? Make it MORE of crime to speed if you're...uh, caught speeding? It just doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,455,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Well, it seems I stand corrected. I've never heard an M-2 called a .50BMG. I guess that's an afficianado term I'm not familiar with. In the Army, it was just a "fifty."

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass on shooting those things again. Once you've sighted down the barrel at a human being, it sorta loses it's fascination.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Once you've sighted down the barrel at a human being, it sorta loses it's fascination."

I respect your viewpoint. To be honest, I don't think I could do that. Paper is all I will put holes in.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,217,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
What's hilarious is that if Mitt "I Support Strict Gun Control Laws" Romney ends up as the GOP nominee, it will be the first time in recent history where the Democrat would actually have a stronger pro-2nd amendment record than his GOP rival.

mitt wont be the nominee.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,222,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
mitt wont be the nominee.
OK, unavoidable thread drift here. Who do you think will be, and what is their position on the 2nd??

Old 12-29-2011, 05:18 AM

46,328 posts, read 27,171,704 times
Quote:
There are problems with enforcing every law because people lie, cheat and steal and cops can't be everywhere at once. I don't see your point unless you think cops know what everybody is doing all the time and can pounce on 'em before they break the law. Of course, that begs the question of how you arrest someone who hasn't broken the law yet, but that's another civil rights discussion..
Well, I'm glad that you agree there are to many guns laws to enforce...so lets make more laws...to not enforce....how much sence does that make?..

Quote:
You seem to think laws can be crafted specifically forbidding illegal activity for those who are...well, committing illegal activity. How on earth?.
I thought that is what laws do? Attempt to keep those from commiting crimes....

It appears, that you want laws for only law abiding citizen, and not those who have broken the law...and continue to break the law...

Lets not even get into the "who may break the law down the road" we are talking about current criminals, incase yuo missed that, and that is obvious.

Quote:
In case you hadn't noticed, laws apply to everyone equally and one is not a criminal until he breaks that law. Consequently, if you want to do something about criminals, you must pass laws which makes what they are doing a criminal act and then catch them when they do. Most criminals will not turn themselves in, you know?
Again, we are not talking about someone who has never committed a cime, we are talking about people who have been caught, by breaking the law...and then go back out and do the same thing....

Remember most criminals have no respect for the law, again, it appears, you just want to make more laws for law abiding citizens....and who cares about the criminals...

Quote:
Take the speed limit, for instance. It applies to all drivers and one is not a criminal until he goes faster than the limit AND gets caught doing it. We all speed, but we all don't get caught and charged. Are we therefore all criminals? So, you want to craft a new speeding law targeting those who are already speeding. How will you do that? Make it MORE of crime to speed if you're...uh, caught speeding? It just doesn't make sense.
Pretty lame anology, but there are other problems that go along with that ticket, your insurance goes up. (Tell me what happens when a criminal does a crime?) You get enuff tickets, guess what, you license is revoked. Just like if you become a criminal, you are not supposed to be able to own a gun LEGALLY!! but do they? yes, they do...do they care about the law at that point? NOPE..............so lets make MORE laws they won't abide by and restrict the law abiding gun owners....yea, that makes a lot....well no it don't...

Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,550,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

I thought that is what laws do? Attempt to keep those from commiting crimes....

No. The law defines crime. It can do nothing to prevent crimes.

It's sort of like a red light. It alerts you to the danger of proceeding, and the law tells you not to, but neither the light nor the cop sitting right there can physically restrain you from doing so if you want.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:47 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,484,184 times
Quote:

It's sort of like a red light. It alerts you to the danger of proceeding, and the law tells you not to, but neither the light nor the cop sitting right there can physically restrain you from doing so if you want.

You cannot control human behavior thru legislation , you may be able to pursuade it a small amount, but never control it.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:58 AM

46,328 posts, read 27,171,704 times
Quote:

No, the law defines the consequences of breaking that law.

O.K., gonna use the eric holder defense.....I guess it depends on your frame of mind, at that point in time....

If I know running that red light could kill me, or get a ticket and have my license taken away, I may or may not do it (the law is known, and so are the consequences)....but If I have already run that red light many many times (and your license are revoked), I relly don't care anymore, gonna do what I feel I can get away with, cause I don't care about the law anymore....

Old 12-29-2011, 08:40 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,357,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course! She is my little (well really big) girl. Not exactly good for home defense, but there are plenty of others for that.

Not exactly good for the wallet either. I hope you reload!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,357,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"No, you do not have a Ma Deuce. You don't even have a machine-gun."

Umm.... I most certainly do. 0.50BMG (Browning Machine Gun) is the ammo I use. Geez, and you were in the military.
I have the Barrett rifle in .50 (that ran about $8000)
My Ma Deuce (and YES it is a fully automatic, ran me about $30,000)
I also have an M-60 (7.62, obviously from Rock Island Armory), and an MP5K-PDW (9mm from H&K). All full auto.
I think I have been fingerprinted so many times to get this stuff, my fingers are permanently stained black.

Want to come and fire them? (I can send you thousands of metal links if you want them, but I am keeping the spent brass).
I wouldn't mind.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies