Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:45 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Kennesaw Georgia has a law mandating gun ownership. Where is the NRA on this? Why aren't they protesting this violation of the 2nd amendment? There's also a bill pending in South Dakota that would mandate gun ownership. Where is the NRA on that?

Gun Ownership - It's The Law In Kennesaw

Is South Dakota Trying to Mandate Gun Ownership? « Hot Air
The Kennesaw city ordinance was largely symbolic. Far as I know, there is no penalty if a person chooses not to own a gun. *Afterthought* Of course, that person might later be damn glad his neighbor DOES!

The South Dakota law, from reading, is just to make a point. Like the sponor said, it probably wont pass. Regardless though, the point was that if government could mandate everyone have health insurance, then no reason they can't also make gun ownership mandatory. That is it and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 12:53 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,933,716 times
The law has been in effect in Kennesaw for years.. I would be curious as to compare the violent crime rate there, as opposed to neighboring Atlanta, but you can research it, because I already have a pretty good idea of the results.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:59 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,321 times
In the last 10 years Americans have lost more freedoms than in previous decades. Are we really more secure today? Is our standard of living improved?

Old 12-26-2011, 01:00 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The law has been in effect in Kennesaw for years.. I would be curious as to compare the violent crime rate there, as opposed to neighboring Atlanta, but you can research it, because I already have a pretty good idea of the results.

Law was passed yrs ago after a township in the chitown burbs passed a no guns law.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:03 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't care how long it's been in effect or what any studies might show. Forcing people to own guns is a violation of the right to bear arms

Old 12-26-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Law was passed yrs ago after a township in the chitown burbs passed a no guns law.
And you can be damned sure the NRA protested that no guns law

Old 12-26-2011, 01:05 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,933,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I don't care how long it's been in effect or what any studies might show. Forcing people to own guns is a violation of the right to bear arms
OK... As is the denial of the second ammendment in Chicago..

Old 12-26-2011, 01:05 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,949,906 times
Have no fear. They are not going to make any of the wussies own a gun.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
The Kennesaw city ordinance was largely symbolic. Far as I know, there is no penalty if a person chooses not to own a gun. *Afterthought* Of course, that person might later be damn glad his neighbor DOES!

The South Dakota law, from reading, is just to make a point. Like the sponor said, it probably wont pass. Regardless though, the point was that if government could mandate everyone have health insurance, then no reason they can't also make gun ownership mandatory. That is it and nothing more.
Has the guy who proposed this "tongue in cheek" law considered that by proposing this he has ceded all right to the argument that the government can't force you to buy something?

Old 12-26-2011, 01:07 PM

The thread is about the right to bear arms as are my posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies