Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I had a Mexican "Californio" culture course in my senior year of HS in SoCal. All it did was open my eyes to a new perspective on things I thought I knew pretty well. Opening ones eyes is always a good thing!

I hope Tucson SD figures out a way to get its Mexican Culture curriculim approved, without having to close the classes, or water down the content to meaninglessness. It sounds like a very valuable program to me.
As a HS elective that's fine. That is expanding your knowledge.
There is a difference between expanding knowledge and narrowly focusing knowledge.

In learning history K-12, the Civil War grabbed my attention. When I got to college I had an opportunity to take an elective class that was all about the Civil War era which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those narrowly focused studies might be fine in college but for K-12 we should be teaching US studies. Give the kids the core education of US in K-12 and let college be the place where you can hone in on specific narrow issues.
Took the keys right out of my fingers!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,529,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Taco 101 wouldn't even take up a whole period. Come on quit crying. Goes both ways
what is your political identification?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,209 times
Quote:
What about the hate and bigotry displayed by the Hispanics that want to shun the US aspect of America with their narrowly focused "history" lessons in school ?

Doesn't that work both ways ? I thought we want to get rid of racism and victimhood ?

I happen to agree with this statement taken from the OP's link:

"..framing historical events in racial terms, the teachers promote groupthink and victimhood."
News flash. There is no such thing as victimhood. Victimhood was made up to undervalue those in which crimes were committed. There are only victims and criminals in regards to crimes. Nothing more nothing less. The whole foundation of the argument against the program is based on misinformation.

So from your logic since there are Latino bigots out there Latino studies should be eradicated? Try using that same rule of thumb while measuring other programs.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
News flash. There is no such thing as victimhood. Victimhood was made up to undervalue those in which crimes were committed. There are only victims and criminals in regards to crimes. Nothing more nothing less. The whole foundation of the argument against the program is based on misinformation.

So from your logic since there are Latino bigots out there Latino studies should be eradicated? Try using that same rule of thumb while measuring other programs.
Gee, I said elective classes in college. That isn't eradicating them is it ?
Is it a crime now to teach US history without it coming from a specific races' viewpoint ?

That will only serve to perpetuate racial divide and hatred.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Of course not. But teaching the Mexican viewpoint from grades 3-12 and letting that take the place of US studies is more than radical IMO.

Don't you want kid in the US education system to learn US history ?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:56 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,298,248 times
Quote:
Of course not. But teaching the Mexican viewpoint from grades 3-12 and letting that take the place of US studies is more than radical IMO.
How is it more radical than teaching it from any other viewpoint? It has to be taught from some viewpoint, correct?

Quote:
Since history has to be taught from some viewpoint, it does make sense to teach it from multiple viewpoints to get a more complete understanding, does it not?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
How is it more radical than teaching it from any other viewpoint? It has to be taught from some viewpoint, correct?

Since history has to be taught from some viewpoint, it does make sense to teach it from multiple viewpoints to get a more complete understanding, does it not?
So is there a Mexican viewpoint on the Civil War or is it just not mentioned because there is no Mexican viewpoint ?

History doesn't revolve around a single race unless you go out of your way to do it. This program was put together by activists who think the Mexicans are victims of bad US policy.

There is no multiple viewpoints in this curriculum. 3-12 is taught from the Mexican perspective and how history impacted them. That sounds like a narrow, single viewpoint that will leave it's impression on young children as they grow up.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:10 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,209 times
Quote:

What you are failing to understand is everything is taught from a particular view point. 95% of the curriculum nationwide today is taught from a Eurocentric view point. What gives anybody the right to ignore every other perspective. The answer is nothing. I’m not advocating for the replacement of a Eurocentric view point but the inclusion of others. America isn’t made up of one race and the only accepted view point shouldn’t be Eurocentric.

There wouldn’t be a need for a Black history Month, Mexican American history Month or most of the culture programs if the school systems across the country where inclusive. But instead of acceptance every effort to accommodate under taught curriculums is met with hostility.

That my friend will only serve to perpetuate the racial divide and hatred!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
What you are failing to understand is everything is taught from a particular view point. 95% of the curriculum nationwide today is taught from a Eurocentric view point. What gives anybody the right to ignore every other perspective. The answer is nothing. I’m not advocating for the replacement of a Eurocentric view point but the inclusion of others. America isn’t made up of one race and the only accepted view point shouldn’t be Eurocentric.

There wouldn’t be a need for a Black history Month, Mexican American history Month or most of the culture programs if the school systems across the country where inclusive. But instead of acceptance every effort to accommodate under taught curriculums is met with hostility.

That my friend will only serve to perpetuate the racial divide and hatred!
But this ethnic studies IS a replacement for 3-12 in the Tuscon school district. This is all they will be taught as history. It takes the place of the Eurocentric classes the other students take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies