Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 03:26 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurbyThug View Post

Especially considering when baby boomers were around 20 most of them were living off there parents, spending that money not getting a haircut, but pot, free love, mushrooms, and acid.
"There" parents or "their" parents? Regardless, "most" is not accurate. I graduated and enlisted in the service. Many young men graduated from High School in June and were married with a child the following June. They held an honest job. Lots of kids went to college. Many were drafted.

There were plenty of hippies and drugs, but not "most" of us. Perception is not always reality.

What the statistics show is that kids today live at home far longer than my generation. I made it clear to my kids that at age 18, I expected them to attend college or move out. I was not going to run a boarding house.

The statistics also show that women wait longer to have their first child. Nothing will force a young man to grow up as fast as a child or two dependent on his one income for support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Not always. At 20 years old, I was carrying a machine-gun around Quang Nam Province, South Vietnam. So were a lot of other Boomer's.

What were (or are) YOU doing at 20?
He played a soldier on that X-station video game system...

Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
My problem with boomers is they go out of there way to label and talk down on Gen X, Y, and Z, generations they raised (poorly) or in 50%+ of the cases, didn't raise at all. They also take no responsibility for the fact everything that was handed to them on a silver platter by older generations was taken for granted by them, than destroyed by them.

They call Gen Y, and Z lazy when many of them are not even old enough to legally hold jobs, or can't find jobs due in part to the baby boomers collective incompetence.

Look what boomers were given. The most prosperous time economically in American history, along with equal rights for all, and almost zero divorce and wedlock rate.

Look what they have produced, the worst economic collapse sense the great depression, dependance on foreign oil, and a cycle of divorce, fatherlessness, poverty, and violence.

When they feel like bashing 20 year olds that have been given a bad deck of cards by them and are not even old enough yet to prove themselves, I think some soul searching is needed.

Especially considering when baby boomers were around 20 most of them were living off there parents, spending that money not getting a haircut, but pot, free love, mushrooms, and acid.
Where did you get this speech? From the Little Wayne concert from some 18 year old wigger peddling oxycontin?

Clue to the young and clueless... stop blaming everyone and their brother for your problems, stop listening to the garbage music and watching vh-1. Stop walking around with your ugly fashion wide brim baseball hat, saggy pants and mma shirt trying to advetise how gangsta you are and go to school, get an education and work to get ahead JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER GENERATION BEFORE YOU

Geez, what a bunch of clowns the younger generations are

Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Default I'm so excited, this is about the 10th "I hate boomers" thread!

Halleluia,

A new I hate boomer thread.
I guess the other 10 threads on the same topic weren't enough.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
You watch waaaaaay too much TV.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
One more hard working American that, at 67 years of age, is still working for a living. And by doing so, paying taxes. Taxes that, among other things, pay for:

-Other people's children to go to elementary and high school, and be indoctrinated into believing that the world owes them a living

-State colleges and universities that teach what are all too often whiny azz young adults that they know everything...and that the world owes them a living.

-The student loans of deadbeats who don't pay them back

-99 weeks of welfare, in the form of UE benefits for those not able to "find" work

-Free school breakfasts and lunches for the children of those that don't support themselves

-Section 8 housing for those that don't want to work for a living

-The refinancing of housing for those dumb enough to borrow more than they can afford

Shall we keep going?

And we're supposed feel sorry for the whiny 20something livng with mommy and daddy because many jobs are below them???

Old 01-03-2012, 04:08 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
One more hard working American that, at 67 years of age, is still working for a living. And by doing so, paying taxes. Taxes that, among other things, pay for:

-Other people's children to go to elementary and high school, and be indoctrinated into believing that the world owes them a living

-State colleges and universities that teach what are all too often whiny azz young adults that they know everything...and that the world owes them a living.

-The student loans of deadbeats who don't pay them back

-99 weeks of welfare, in the form of UE benefits for those not able to "find" work

-Free school breakfasts and lunches for the children of those that don't support themselves

-Section 8 housing for those that don't want to work for a living

-The refinancing of housing for those dumb enough to borrow more than they can afford

Shall we keep going?

And we're supposed feel sorry for the whiny 20something livng with mommy and daddy because many jobs are below them???
I, as a 28 yr old, appreciates you and others from your generation (my parents included) for all the valuable contributions

Hopefully the youngsters will get their heads out of their behinds and be 1/10 as productive as you guys are/ were

Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
The guy relaying the story (himself an electrician; early 50's) did not paint a nice picture (work wise) of this guy. That's besides the point though.

How productive can you be at 67? I don't give a ****. 67 is 67 and when you're 67, you feel 67 and you work like you're 67. What is he, superhuman?

Some of the other trades are more physically demanding and you don't see guys past 55 last at all. Wonder why? This guys there because it's not too physically demanding and he can **** around half the day. I'm paraphrasing from the electrician relaying this story.

I didn't want to mention this initially because it's beside the point. Age is age and we all feel it. Organic matter breaks down over time.

A lot of boomers are still hanging on because they work in offices where one's physical health is not of prime importance (as opposed to previous generations of more intensive manual labor) and tthus they can fly under the radar.

If you boomer's want to get into this we can. I have examples at my own place of work and I've seen it enough to know that they're not just aberrations.\

You ***** about millennial and Gen X'ers but hour for hour, we're more productive guaranteed.

You're WRONG! GUARANTEED!!!!!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The problem with bubbles is that people behave as if there's sustained economic growth and count on the same conditions being around or continuing to improve indefinitely. That's part of what got us into the mess we're in now.
Dont blame "people"...blame subprime, Dodd-frank ACT and corrupt GOP and politicos in Congress working in collusion with Wall Street investment banks to create the 13 trillion dollar derivates meltdown, and making housing worthless.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yes I do, your understanding of SS and boomers...

As per my last SS statement I have paid into SS well over $100,000.00 over my working lifetime.

So as per funny you I am supposed to forget it because ~sniffle~ you have to work...
I didn't expect this thread to go as long as it did.

I chose the above statement because it shows just how out of touch boomers are.

First off, yes you may have paid in 100k but that's not really the point. The SS administration calculates your monthly rate by taking your highest earnings for 35 (non consecutive) years. Since boomers had pretty stable and (relatively) high paying careers, most will earn toward the top end of the monthly payout range (which is $2200 I believe). 5-7 years and all of what you paid in is paid back to you. After that, that's money that you're not entitled to anymore. Will the Feds still pay you? Of course.

However, the above is besides the point. The more important cost is healthcare. One bypass surgery or knee/hip replacement and whatever you've paid in SS or medicare is spent. Everything after that is a tab that someone else needs to pick up. Therein lies the problem.

That is not sustainable without completely fiscally ****ing up the next few generations no matter which way you look at it.

You will see 100 cents on the dollar even though you should not. Why? Because my generation and the following will see 50 cents on the dollar if we're lucky.

Your generation is stealing from future generations. Do you wonder why I'm pissed? lol

If you ass clowns let my generation opt out of this train wreck, there would't be a problem. However, you've chained us to the runaway locomotive heading towards the edge of the cliff. Lucky for you folks, you're older and many will be gone before the train plunges off of the cliff so naturally you don't give a ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies