Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,780,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When weapons are involved, the police should be the first ones called.
Defuse a mad 15 year old waving a gun in the hall after randomly punching another kid ?

I think the school acted properly. Lockdown and call the cops.

Would you allow the kid with the real gun to have enough time to murder the other kid? Would you really be doing your job if that happened and you did not even attempt to intervene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,306,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Would you allow the kid with the real gun to have enough time to murder the other kid? Would you really be doing your job if that happened and you did not even attempt to intervene?
Disarming armed kids is part of a teachers job?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Teachers don't get paid enough to risk their lives. If you see a 15 yr old waving a gun, are you going to go up to him?
If the kid who's getting waved at with a gun happens to be one of my students, then yeah I would.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,533,924 times
This School and Brownsville, Texas cops handled it just as I would have wanted them to if I had kids in that school.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Disarming armed kids is part of a teachers job?

If you're working at a problem school, defusing problem situations is a reality of your job. This is not the first time a student has brought a weapon (although in this case not a real gun) to a school and it won't be the last. Sometimes, calling the police is not a quick enough solution... if the teacher really thought the other student's life was in danger, then no, I don't think it was necessarily the most effective decision.

But, I also wasn't there, so I can only speak from where I'm sitting. IDK the full details of this story and probably never will.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,223,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Gun companies have been marketing guns to kids for a very long time. When the good guy in the movies peels the bad guy's cap off, I guarantee you there a kid in that audience going, "that's SO cool!" instead of, "how horrible". It never ceases to amaze me that we have a taboo on bare skin in kids movies but not guns.
Totally agree, kids have been watching the good guys and bad guys shooting it it up in the movies for almost 100 years now but all of a sudden because of one possibly illegal alien guns should be banned from the silver screen.

Makes perfect sense to me....

Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,100,667 times
Personally, my heart goes out to everyone involved, the family of a very disturbed kid, the children, staff and parents of the school and the cops that had to take the life of a child (I'm pretty sure they aren't out celebrating tonight).

Old 01-04-2012, 08:14 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,020,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When weapons are involved, the police should be the first ones called.
Defuse a mad 15 year old waving a gun in the hall after randomly punching another kid ?

I think the school acted properly. Lockdown and call the cops.
I agree and I think it's pretty cut and dry considering the circumstances. What are unarmed on-campus security suppose to do, engage a possibly armed student by attempting to verbally diffuse the situation? Hogwash. 911 was called and armed policemen arrived at the scene as they should have.

The details are pretty sketchy from there on in, but if two individual police officers concluded that for their own safety as well as others, that it was the best take him down, then I am inclined to believe that they made the most rational decision in this situation.

Furthermore a 15 year old is a 15 year old...not a 5 year old. They know better. Growing up, most kids with beebee guns or cap guns know that they are normally smaller and colored to differentiate from the real thing, and for good reason.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Totally agree, kids have been watching the good guys and bad guys shooting it it up in the movies for almost 100 years now but all of a sudden because of one possibly illegal alien guns should be banned from the silver screen.

Makes perfect sense to me....

People use the logic that showing children sex on the silver screen will scar them and possibly make them sexually perverted to ban it all the time, so what makes gun violence any different?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
An armed eighth grader can kill you as dead as any adult can.
Yes and this happened just on the border -- and in Mexico a great number of the "sicarios" or hitmen are 14 or 15 years old. One of the hitmen that massacred the kids at a party in Juarez was just 16 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies