Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 03:24 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
However, presidential candidates have access to information that requires a security clearance.
They are given security clearances by virtue of their prospective elected offices. They do not necessarily go through a background check. Neither do members of Congress. Exceptions to that are rare.

Notice how the website you linked never said anything about background checks for POTUS or members of Congress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

802 posts, read 564,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Neither was Virginia Minor.
They didn't have to rule her one since all children born in a country (the U.S.) of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also prior to the 14th Amendment, except for slaves.

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
It took him a long time to release his birth certificate; long enough to have one made? Perhaps. I don't know. Also there is no record of his mother at the hospital where he was supposedly born. Again, I am not a birther, just cautious. And again, it doesn't really matter now, does it? I mean he's in office, I don't want him there but that's not because of where he was, or wasn't, born but because of his politics.
He released his BC in 2008; that was the official one that everyone gets when they request their BC - you know, the computer printed one with the raised seal.

Most hospitals don't keep patient records for 50 years, so that is a non-starter. I am pretty sure that if I asked the hospital where I was born for my mom's records, they'd tell me they'd been destroyed decades ago, and I'm not fifty yet.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:28 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
It took him a long time to release his birth certificate;
Not true.

He was asked for his birth certificate for the very first time on June 9th, 2008 by National Review Columnist Jim Geraghty. Obama released his birth certificate four days later, on June 13th, 2008.

Four days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson
Also there is no record of his mother at the hospital where he was supposedly born.
This is another one of those obviously fake Birther factoids which can only be fabricated. No one has ever actually checked, and it would be a violation of the HIPAA laws for the hospital to answer anyone who did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson
Again, I am not a birther, just cautious.
Insert aphorism about walking and quacking here.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:28 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
It took him a long time to release his birth certificate; long enough to have one made? Perhaps. I don't know. Also there is no record of his mother at the hospital where he was supposedly born. Again, I am not a birther, just cautious. And again, it doesn't really matter now, does it? I mean he's in office, I don't want him there but that's not because of where he was, or wasn't, born but because of his politics.

Who else was asked to show their birth certificate during the primaries and general elections? Not even McCain, who as we all know actually was born in another country...it required legislation to make McCain eligible, and President Obama voted yea on that measure. Obama's birth certificate had been seen by the proper officials and was released solely to satisfy those who simply refuse to believe that he's an American citizen, and even that didn't stop the silliness. To quote Robert Earl Keane, "The road goes on forever and the party never ends..."

Old 01-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
There you go with that weird interpretation again that would require the children of Spanish citizens born on US soil to be British subjects.
"Born in England" does not equate to "born on US soil" no matter how much you wish it were so.

Quote:
The very first one, in the very first clause, of the very first sentence is to simply be born in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Go back and read it again. Pay careful attention to the qualifiers required in each case. The law does not state one thing and then directly contradict that in the very next statement.

Come on, HD, you should know better than that.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Polish citizenship of those born abroad must be applied for and approved:
Confirmation of Polish Citizenship
No... only its confirmation must be applied for. The citizenship already exists as made clear in the very first sentence of the page you have linked to.

Exactly like every other country on the planet that grants jus sanguinis citizenship; to include the United States, Italy, Poland and the UK.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
"Born in England" does not equate to "born on US soil" no matter how much you wish it were so.
Of course it does.

If it did not, then it wouldn't be the same rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
Go back and read it again. Pay careful attention to the qualifiers required in each case. The law does not state one thing and then directly contradict that in the very next statement.
The only qualifier in the first criteria the law offers for citizenship is race.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
You actually have no idea what the 14th Amendment is really about... do you?
This is how it starts...
Quote:
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside."
If the Constitution were entirely based on English common law, we wouldn't need an Amendment nearly 100 years later to state the above.

If the states had already mirrored that in their laws, we wouldn't need an Amendment nearly 100 years later to state the above.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:33 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
[quote=Evenstar51;22571149]However, presidential candidates have access to information that requires a security clearance.

Adjudicative Guidelines for Determining Eligibility for Access to Classified Information

Quote:
They apply to persons being considered for initial or continued eligibility for access to classified information, to include sensitive compartmented information and special access programs, and are to be used by government departments and agencies in all final clearance determinations. Government departments and agencies may also choose to apply these guidelines to analogous situations regarding persons being considered for access to other types of protected information. [end quote]

Once again; it's impossible to read the quote from the State Department that checks are required and not comprehend that "They apply to persons being considered for initial or continued eligibility and special access programs" applies to presidential candidates. Where do you think they get their information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies