Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Did you miss post #65, four posts ahead of yours?

BTW, you have no proof that previous first ladies traveled WITH their husbands 100% of the time. Previous first ladies, even Nancy Reagan, did not get this kind of scrutiny.
Probably because during the Reagan years everyone was working and was doing well.

Under Obama, not so much.

Even Nancy never wore a pair of 2,000.00 shoes and a 4,000.00 dress.

If she did she would not have worn them to a soup kitchen like Michelle did.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post

LOL

I remember Nancy as being quite the fashion diva, being especially partial to red dresses by famous designers. I'm pretty sure she had closets full of $2,000.00 pairs of shoes and $4,000.00 dresses.

Quote:
Did Nancy every even go to a soup kitchen? Somehow I can't picture her scooping potatoes for poor people.

Other than her stupid "Just say no" campaign against drugs, I don't remember her being too terribly involved in charitable work.

Unless keeping astronomers employed could be considered "charitable."

And how do you know how much Mrs. Obama's clothes that she wore to a soup kitchen cost?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I'm sorry. I didn't know that women were off limits to criticism along with any person of prominence who isn't white. Thanks for clearing that up.
Thanks for twisting my post, but thats what you do, dont you?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm flattered that you read my posts, but you've got just about everything wrong about me. As a woman myself, I think quite highly of women, thank you.

For the record, I love strong women. Women that make something of themselves. Women that are bright, articulate and confident.

I don't like women that get their success from their husband's connections and influence. I don't like women that tolerate cheating husbands. I don't like women that stick their nose into their husband's business, when it doesn't belong there. I don't like women that pretend to be something they are not. I don't like women that think being a b**tch is a sign of strength. I don't like women that let their husband's success go to their own head.
And none of the above is true of the First Lady.
One wonders if you give your husband advice on whatever he does for a living.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Oh, please.......Nancy was known as a designer clotheshorse junkie with a penchant for not returning "borrowed" gowns.
The designer James Galanos, mentioned in this article about Nancy's sartorial selections for the Inauguration, commanded prices far higher than 4K
FOR NANCY REAGAN, 3 INAUGURAL DESIGNS - NYTimes.com

Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
And why should she be concerned about appearances? It wouldn't matter. It doesn't matter what either she or her husband do; they are going to get s**t on for whatever they do.

If she did fly commercial, in first class (which is totally and completely unrealistic and just plain STUPID), then you all would be pissing and moaning about her flying "first class." Or how inconsiderate she was for causing such a security nightmare for her fellow passengers.

And, yes, when people start throwing terms such as "uppity" and "status" around, they damn well ARE racist. You can all play that stupid game that you all like to play, pretending you didn't mean it to be racist and it's us "*******s" who are seeing racist remarks around every corner, but you know what you're saying and you know what you're implying.
So the word uppity is now taboo when used in reference to blacks? What's next, banning the use of "high and mighty"??? You PC people have got to shut the hell up, before you people are done we will be having rallies where we are burning pages out of the freaking dictionary. We already all but banned the use of "*****rdly". LOL it's apparently banned by this forum anyway. Link>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controv...22*****rdly%22 Oh good grief, here, try this one Dictionary word - BANNED

Crap, do your own search for n-i-g-g-a-r-d-l-y

Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So the word uppity is now taboo when used in reference to blacks? What's next, banning the use of "high and mighty"??? You PC people have got to shut the hell up, before you people are done we will be having rallies where we are burning pages out of the freaking dictionary. We already all but banned the use of "*****rdly".
Oy vey.....speaking of shutting up, how about you doing it first?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Probably because during the Reagan years everyone was working and was doing well.

Under Obama, not so much.

1) American homelessness basically became an epidemic under the Reagan daministration

2) Nancy Reagan was very well known for being extravangant in her style, dress and spending...this was the 80s after all. During the 1981 recession Nancy Reagan wore designer dresses, undertook an expensive renovation of the White House, and ordered expensive new Lenox china. She also consulted with an astrologist to help Ronald Reagan make decisions.

Nancy Reagan's wardrobe consisted of dresses, gowns, and suits made by luxury designers, including James Galanos, Bill Blass, Adolfo, and Oscar de la Renta. Her white, hand-beaded, one shoulder Galanos 1981 inaugural gown was estimated to cost $10,000 while the overall price of her inaugural wardrobe was said to cost $25,000. She employed two private hairdressers who would style her hair on a regular basis in the White House

Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So the word uppity is now taboo when used in reference to blacks? What's next, banning the use of "high and mighty"??? You PC people have got to shut the hell up, before you people are done we will be having rallies where we are burning pages out of the freaking dictionary. We already all but banned the use of "*****rdly". LOL it's apparently banned by this forum anyway. Link>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controv...22*****rdly%22
Where have you been for the last 40 or so years? Using the word "uppity" has traditionally been follow by the (real) n-word, and that is its most common association. Using that term in reference to the black First Lady of the US is obviously racist. After all, what does it take for someone who is of high station in our society to be called "uppity" - and over taking a plane, for heaven's sake! To call someone uppity is to say that they don't know their place.

ETA: "nig-gardly" means cheap, miserly. I can't believe CD would censor a legitimate word like that.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oy vey.....speaking of shutting up, how about you doing it first?
"Oy vey"?? hmmm sounds like it could be a racial slur to me. You should prob stop using it, for fear of offending people. Well, maybe not, the word filters did not bleep it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies