Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:50 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times

Advertisements

Here is an article and the YOU Tube on a high school baskeball game. There are some ugly plays there. In my opinon no sportsmanship, bad coaching on teaching clean play.

Here is the website. Your comments.

High School Sports | Foul! Prep video goes viral, provides lesson in social media | Seattle Times Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
#34 should never be allowed on a court again. Same with the refs and the coach.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
As any parent of any high school athlete knows, this is nothing unusual. When my daughter was in HS BB, some referees were excellent and unprejudiced - and some "didn't see" blatant fouls, like two girls repetitively bodyslamming the ball carrier between them, even leaping onto the ballcarrier's back and slamming her to the ground. Some coaches were honest and fair, would pull offending players out of the game - while others would laugh and clap when their players 'got away' with really obvious fouls. I still have some of the videos - on tape, it's been awhile -of the whole games, not just the fouls, that exemplify some coaches' and some refs' beliefs that basketball should be played like football without the pads.

I shook my head when I read the comments defending the refs and the players. Typical. Have you ever noticed what teachers and parents and neighbors almost invariably say of the perpetrator every time the cops arrest a serial killer, child molester, or other violent felon? "He was such a nice boy"... The truth is that most people will deny wrongdoing that they witness - because then they have to get involved and report it or otherwise do something, and often the bullies' parents are bullies themselves. Some refs and coaches do the job because they want to see their neighborhood kids grow up with a healthy understanding of the game, while others (like people who become priests or boy scout leaders) do it so that they can keep on bullying and encourage other bullies to flourish.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
#34 is outrageous--just a thug. Did you notice how he was smirking when he lined up on the lane after the sixth foul?

Possibly foul # 5 was the worst. The player actually had the temerity to start to argue with the ref after he got called.

They should both have been sent off.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Here is an article and the YOU Tube on a high school baskeball game. There are some ugly plays there. In my opinon no sportsmanship, bad coaching on teaching clean play.

Here is the website. Your comments.

High School Sports | Foul! Prep video goes viral, provides lesson in social media | Seattle Times Newspaper
I've been playing basketball since James Naismith invented the game... okay, that's a slight exaggeration, but only a slight one. Anyway, refs need to control a game, i.e. control players' tempers, and that means technical fouls and ejections when necessary. However, as a player, I never lost my temper unless someone was deliberately trying to injure me. Believe it or not, I'm not sure any of those flagrant fouls in the vid would qualify as an attempt to injure. Maybe the one where the guy was air-born and came down hard. I'm might have gotten up from that one cussing.

While on the court I have complimented opposing players for good shots or good plays in general. Goes to show how old school I am. Though I do it in sincerity, it throws the other player for a loop. They don't know what to think.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
I don't see any flagrant fouls. Going after the ball on all those plays. Hey you wanna drive into the lane against these guys your gonna get fouled. Pretty simple stuff. The ref even walked over and talked to the olineman after the last one and that's why he was smirking probably. If you ever played ball there is a lot of talking betwix the players and refs that goes on. He probably said you better ease up or your gonna get a T. I'd drive right into that guy every play and foul him out real quick and problem solved. He obviously can't move his feet and play defense so that's why he does all the hacking and reaching. Or you could sit around and cry about it. I didn't see any players from the other team crying about it. Anybody ask them what they thought? Probably not.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Wow, #34 looks like Larry the Cable guy already as a teenager. I see a trailer park and a tow truck driver job in his future for sure.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
He's a slow, strong out of shape bear that doesn't move his feet. Not much basketball talent at that school if gets all that playing time.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
He's a slow, strong out of shape bear that doesn't move his feet. Not much basketball talent at that school if gets all that playing time.
Those two look like a couple olinemen from the foosball team that play hoops to stay in some kind of shape most likely. My kids coach makes em all play some sort of sport in the offseason be it hoops or wraaslin or track to stay in shape.

To be fair one would actually have to watch the game and see if it was rough play on both sides of the ball. This was a rather biased vid if you ask me. Basketball gets rough at times and they don't wear pads.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Is there some sort of rule now that a fat kid has to be on the court at all times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies