Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Where were you during Bush's second term? While I've been less that ecstatic about Obama's performance, he's doing a much better job than Bush did.

You either have memory loss or selective memory.
Yours seems to be a bit selective in that Bush appointed inside the Constitution and Obama didn't. Bush appointed people we needed to have and Dirty Harry knew his threats wouldn't work but the Senate went into recess anyway. Those who Bush appointed were appointed only to fill appointment periods that expired just a few month away and new ones had to be made. Obama's appointments were done only to further his administrations wants and desires and as the link said, may well be overthrown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you are upset about it, ask your Republican representation to file suit. Doesn't have to be the Senate.

He is simply using a procedure, that circumvents another procedure, because Republicans were exercising another procedure.

How ridiculous does that sound to be complaining about, or doing in the first place?
I bet you know that the procedure McConnell was using is exactly what Reid used back in the days of Bush. I loved that cartoon early in this thread that showed Obama sidestepping the Constitution.. If the Congress allows him to get by with this they will help them run them into irrelevance just as the writer of that link in the OP says. However, the Democrat Senate won't fight him and we all know that and can you imagine the outcry if Boehner went after Obama about this?

Old 01-11-2012, 02:36 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Make sure that you don't read the link that the OP provided. You might learn something if you did and heaven forbid that will happen.
You tell me you don't even bother to read what I said, let alone my sources...why should I care?

"Learn something" is not the same as "believe as I do", which seems to be your only use of the phrase.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
If only one or two are there, and they open their day of work and in 10 seconds close it and go home, they are not there. While they may be technically not on recess, they are physically not there.

They couldn't even bring to a vote, on if they are there or not!
Is there a chance that you, as one of the better informed liberals, has failed to read the link and just answered Rick without seeing what was there?

Old 01-11-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Now there's an excellent question.
Very excellent and completely beside the topic of this thread. Maybe you need to read the link in the OP instead of taking all your knowledge about this from Kos, MM, and Think Progress.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:05 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Unconstitutional or not, this is a losing issue for Republicans, especially in a Presidential election year.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Since the only ones complaining about this are those behind keyboards and microphones and not anyone that truly matters then I would have to say that Obama did nothing against the constitution, because if he really did then don't you think that all republicans in the house and senate would be trying to impeach him now?
You don't really know a lot about the impeachment process, do you? I don't think there is a lot of reason to do that, anyway, since the courts will be brought in to determine the constitutionality of the President declaring the Congress in recess.

Did you read the link in the OP? Too much good information there but maybe Kos will post it sometime.

Also, you might take the time to read the part of the Constitution that applies here so you could understand what The One did that was wrong.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Unconstitutional or not, this is a losing issue for Republicans, especially in a Presidential election year.
I would think that you may have read that one somewhere. No matter, you could explain it, I am sure.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You did not answer my question. I can read what you posted. Heck, I got you into a habit of quoting the Constitution. There is no need to repeat it relentlessly, while skipping over the inconvenience... and that would be answering my question:

What has receiving ambassadors got to do with the power to convene the congress?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The question wasn't to repeat a sentence, but how does it tie to convening the congress, since you're the one assuming the whole clause to be a single power. So, you've got to try again.
Receiving ambassadors has is not tied to convening congress .

Now answer me what do you think receiving ambassadors have to do with recess appointments

Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is there a chance that you, as one of the better informed liberals, has failed to read the link and just answered Rick without seeing what was there?
Mr Meese's opinion is just as irrelevant today as he was on his opposition to the miranda warning, and as attorney general had no problem with violating the due process clause of the fifth amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies