Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Yep, as long as you're going to ignore that that $100k is fully taxed by FICA while that $500k is only taxed 1/5 as hard.

As long as you ignore the fact that $100k income leaves very little excess income to accumulate as wealth while $500k leaves 400% more for accumulating wealthy.
Start living a middle class lifestyle when you have a middle class income. The middle class of today lives in houses twice as big as they were 40 years ago, they own multiple cars, have iPhones, iPads, multiple flat screen TV's, etc. etc. etc. The middle class has lived far from a 'middle class lifestyle' for a long time now.

I opened my first investment portfolio at 19 years old with $500. I know this is going to shock you, but you don't have to be a millionaire to study investing and grow your own wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Start living a middle class lifestyle when you have a middle class income. The middle class of today lives in houses twice as big as they were 40 years ago, they own multiple cars, have iPhones, iPads, multiple flat screen TV's, etc. etc. etc. The middle class has lived far from a 'middle class lifestyle' for a long time now.

I opened my first investment portfolio at 19 years old with $500. I know this is going to shock you, but you don't have to be a millionaire to study investing and grow your own wealth.
You really don't have to lecture me on wealth accumulation. I retired in 2006 at 53. I recently asked my Fidelity guy how long our wealth would last if we spent about $50k a year, adjusting for inflation. Turns out we'll have 4 times as much by 92. Buying a ton of Ford at an average of $5 something in 2009 and selling last year for over three times that fixed me for life.

Funny, I made a ton of money for doing nothing and I didn't feel cheated when I paid my taxes. I cannot understand people sitting in a lounge chair on a beach sipping an umbrella drink, making fortunes of their wealth complaining that they pay to much. Even stranger, is these knuckle dragging wing nuts that defend the excesses of the leisure class.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Funny, I made a ton of money for doing nothing and I didn't feel cheated when I paid my taxes. I cannot understand people sitting in a lounge chair on a beach sipping an umbrella drink, making fortunes of their wealth complaining that they pay to much. Even stranger, is these knuckle dragging wing nuts that defend the excesses of the leisure class.
Maybe YOU did nothing, but I worked my ass off.
Thanks for deciding what should happen to the money I actually earned.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:55 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This is one conclusion that's arrived at in this video. A 49% marginal tax rate would be enough to help the gov't to cover expenses and it won't violate Aurthur Laffer's curve.

Taxes: How High Is Too High? - YouTube

This tax rate on the wealthy is absurd, it is highway robbery. Sure, bleed those that work the hardest so we can keep funding an out-of-control Subversive govt. so it can continue to buy votes so it can win re-election.

Biting the hand that feeds them is what libs do the best. Jealousy of the ones that work the hardest and write their paychecks is proof they are dumber than they claim Palin is, but she is not. Sheesh~

Old 01-12-2012, 03:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
You really don't have to lecture me on wealth accumulation. I retired in 2006 at 53. I recently asked my Fidelity guy how long our wealth would last if we spent about $50k a year, adjusting for inflation. Turns out we'll have 4 times as much by 92. Buying a ton of Ford at an average of $5 something in 2009 and selling last year for over three times that fixed me for life.

What are you talking about? Who sits back sipping drinks earning money for doing nothing? The average investment banker for example works 80-90 hours/week. The vast majority of the wealthy work longer hours than any average middle class person. Furthermore, you really don't see a problem with the fact that we punish people for making more of themselves, and incentivize those who sit back and do nothing?

Talking about fairness for a minute, how is it fair that those who worked 90 hours/week to become wealthy pay 22% in an effective tax rate when the guy who punched a clock working only 40 hours/week gets away with only paying 8%? What gives anyone the right to someone else's money? The only FAIR way to tax is to have a flat tax rate across all income levels. Or are you not too concerned with fairness?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:11 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Who sits back sipping drinks earning money for doing nothing? The average investment banker for example works 80-90 hours/week. The vast majority of the wealthy work longer hours than any average middle class person. Furthermore, you really don't see a problem with the fact that we punish people for making more of themselves, and incentivize those who sit back and do nothing?

Talking about fairness for a minute, how is it fair that those who worked 90 hours/week to become wealthy pay 22% in an effective tax rate when the guy who punched a clock working only 40 hours/week gets away with only paying 8%? What gives anyone the right to someone else's money? The only FAIR way to tax is to have a flat tax rate across all income levels. Or are you not too concerned with fairness?

But, but, Barack said all they do is sit around counting their money.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
So now you're holding out one hand, demanding more money from these "400 people" in order to subsidize your lifestyle and give you free stuff, as your continued prosperity is dependent upon them accommodating you...

...And with the other hand, you're giving them the finger and telling them to leave.

Yeah, you're a real rational individual who has clearly thought out your position and obviously have even .1% of an inkling of knowledge of which you speak.

</sarcasm>
Nobody has ever given my family "free stuff" or subsidized my lifestyle. We're small business owners and we pay more taxes than most people earn in a year. I think it's unfair that they pay 15% for capital gains while I work for a living and support everyone else by paying out the nose on my personal income taxes. It's not about being jealous--it's about being fair. They benefit the most, and they make their money by using the infrastructure that people like me pay for. They need to at least pay the same percent that I do. I'm tired of giving free handouts to people just because they're rich. Who made up that rule?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:49 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I can tell you that we can't balance the budget based on tax increases on people who earn $7.50 an hour.
We can't balance the budget no matter who gets their taxes raised, unless the spending problem is addressed first.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
I'm talking about the top 400, not their high paid drones that do their dirty work.

If you want to talk about fairness who decided sitting at a computer is worth more than digging a ditch? Why is manual labor disrespected and underpaid while pushing paper and punching keys is highly treasured and rewarded?

Just who set these values on work?

Why is labor taxed at higher maginal rates while money working to make money receives a better rate? Why is it ok to have a progressive tax rate on labor and a lower flat rate on capital gains.
Quote:

Last edited by buzzards27; 01-12-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 04:06 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies