Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

"Political ideology in the U.S. held steady in 2011, with 40% of Americans continuing to describe their views as conservative, 35% as moderate, and 21% as liberal...Sizable segments of Americans identify with each of the three major ideological groups on the U.S. political spectrum; however, in recent years, conservatives have become the single largest group, consistently outnumbering moderates since 2009 and outnumbering liberals by 2-to-1."

Conservatives Remain the Largest Ideological Group in U.S.

But, do they vote? Are they even allowed to vote (legal American citizens)? Gallup apparently didn't ask. You just had to be an adult answering the telephone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 01:27 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Political ideology in the U.S. held steady in 2011, with 40% of Americans continuing to describe their views as conservative, 35% as moderate, and 21% as liberal...Sizable segments of Americans identify with each of the three major ideological groups on the U.S. political spectrum; however, in recent years, conservatives have become the single largest group, consistently outnumbering moderates since 2009 and outnumbering liberals by 2-to-1."

But, do they vote? Are they even allowed to vote (legal American citizens)? Gallup apparently didn't ask. You just had to be an adult answering the telephone.

These conservatives are obviously former moderates driven to the right by the current leftist regime.

Nothing like a good dose of tyranny to open the eyes of the apathetic.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
These conservatives are obviously former moderates driven to the right by the current leftist regime.

Yes, many of my liberal associates are beginning to see things a little differently now.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Obama is mostly moderate. Just because Republicans have gone so far to the right does not change center.

Just your fact check for the day.

And so much for a Liberal bias.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:12 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I was actually more impressed with the 35% moderate number
America is a centre-right country--key word centre right. But conservatives dislike moderates about as much as they hate liberals. <shrug>

Old 01-13-2012, 04:15 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was actually more impressed with the 35% moderate number
America is a centre-right country--key word centre right. But conservatives dislike moderates about as much as they hate liberals. <shrug>

In America, that's cenTER right.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:22 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Polls like this give me heartburn.

Without knowing exactly what the questions were, we're left to assume that the terms liberal, moderate or conservative are self-defined by the respondents.

You can see right here on CD forums that very few people know, or care about, the philosophical under-pinnings of the ideology they claim. Too many don't have a clue what a "conservative" or "liberal" is, yet they'll claim themselves as one. That's particularly true for our Republican brethren, most of whom don't know the difference between a true Conservative and a Neo-Conservative.

Also, for most rational people, where they land on the ideological spectrum very much depends upon the issue at hand. For instance, you can have someone who is conservative on fiscal issues, but liberal on social issues. Would that person be counted as a conservative or a liberal?

All polls like this do is feed the divisions among us for no good reason.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Polls like this give me heartburn.

Without knowing exactly what the questions were, we're left to assume that the terms liberal, moderate or conservative are self-defined by the respondents.

You can see right here on CD forums that very few people know, or care about, the philosophical under-pinnings of the ideology they claim. Too many don't have a clue what a "conservative" or "liberal" is, yet they'll claim themselves as one. That's particularly true for our Republican brethren, most of whom don't know the difference between a true Conservative and a Neo-Conservative.

Also, for most rational people, where they land on the ideological spectrum very much depends upon the issue at hand. For instance, you can have someone who is conservative on fiscal issues, but liberal on social issues. Would that person be counted as a conservative or a liberal?

All polls like this do is feed the divisions among us for no good reason.
Good point. I usually call myself a "liberal" on this forum, even though I'm closer to the center. I have a lot of views that would put me on the right, (like most social issues) but more of my economic views are on the left. So I just call myself liberal to make it easier than explaining all my different views.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
No surprise. America is the most conservative of modern nations.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:20 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Ah , no ones a liberal anymore? Just like at the end of king georges reign , no on was a republican anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies