Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 AM

78,664 posts, read 60,852,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sounds like he is talking to many Black posters on here.

Read more: Enough black defensiveness* - NY Daily News
Ed, it's takes an obtuse amount of gall to create dozens if not hundreds of black trolling threads here and then cry that they are being defensive.

Be a man. Don't poke a bear and then cry when it's swipes back.

You are lucky they have such loose standards in the P&OC forums as you'd have been banned by now in the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,126,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Using the generational welfare myth, proves you know nothing about this topic and are inventing this generational attitude nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
There is a such thing as generational poverty. There is not such thing as a generational poverty attitude or whatever made up thing someone is talking about.
Hmm.

Quote:

Many people have children after they are 18 years old. In fact the overwhelming majority of babies born in this nation are to women who are over 18 years old. Most children are born to women who finished high school and have a job. You need to deal with reality.
The reality is that people having children when they are not financially stable themselves is a recipe for poverty and extended use of welfare. THAT is the reality that you are wanting to ignore. Sure, the overwhelming majority of children are born to women over 18, but how many babies of families on welfare or living in poverty are born to women under the age of say, 20? That is the statistic you need to be referencing, not all children born to women of all ages.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But the thing is, those statistics don't apply to ME. I'm talking about individuals. How are those statistics suppose to help individuals?
Most statistics don't apply to you, and they are not meant to be applied at the individual level. That's why they are statistics....

Old 08-21-2012, 11:18 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,845,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ed, it's takes an obtuse amount of gall to create dozens if not hundreds of black trolling threads here and then cry that they are being defensive.

Be a man. Don't poke a bear and then cry when it's swipes back.

You are lucky they have such loose standards in the P&OC forums as you'd have been banned by now in the others.
he was banned from black planet for doing the same thing.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
andrea21 says she is a hiring manager in milwaukee.

milwaukee is the worst city in the US in terms of segregation and disproportionate impact on blacks.

in 2004 an admitted white felon with the same education as a clean black got more job offers.

i aint saying, but im saying.......................
I'm actually not sure what you're saying. Depending on the job, if the white felon was more qualified and the felony was something stupid, he probably would get more offers. Education is not equal to qualifications. There are lots of factors in play. At my work, we don't care what your criminal history is as long as it's not something that could endanger our employees or customers (such as theft, selling drugs or something violent, aside from domestic violence).

But yes, segregation here is very bad. Horrible. But it's not really even segregation by race, it's segregation by crime rate, it's bad areas with high crime that has mostly blacks versus good or at least decent areas with a much smaller rate of crime with mostly whites. With the exception of Brown Deer, which has a higher proportion of blacks but low crime, these are mostly older folks and blue collar workers.

I don't know what "disproportionate impact" you're talking about. If you live in the ghetto, talk like a ghetto person and do ghetto behaviors and try to get a job pretty much anywhere, you will be looking for awhile.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 AM

73,141 posts, read 62,801,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Most statistics don't apply to you, and they are not meant to be applied at the individual level. That's why they are statistics....
But the thing is, people will use those statistics to apply it to everyone, regardless of whether or not a statistic doesn't apply to certain individuals. When that is done, it is taking what is true for a minority of the population, and applying it to everyone. It is not helpful because it can have consequences for people who don't fit those statistics.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I'm actually not sure what you're saying. Depending on the job, if the white felon was more qualified and the felony was something stupid, he probably would get more offers. Education is not equal to qualifications. There are lots of factors in play. At my work, we don't care what your criminal history is as long as it's not something that could endanger our employees or customers (such as theft, selling drugs or something violent, aside from domestic violence).

But yes, segregation here is very bad. Horrible. But it's not really even segregation by race, it's segregation by crime rate, it's bad areas with high crime that has mostly blacks versus good or at least decent areas with a much smaller rate of crime with mostly whites. With the exception of Brown Deer, which has a higher proportion of blacks but low crime, these are mostly older folks and blue collar workers.

I don't know what "disproportionate impact" you're talking about. If you live in the ghetto, talk like a ghetto person and do ghetto behaviors and try to get a job pretty much anywhere, you will be looking for awhile.
If you live in the ghetto, but don't talk or act like it, how does living in a ghetto automatically disqualify someone for a job?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
But the thing is, people will use those statistics to apply it to everyone, regardless of whether or not a statistic doesn't apply to certain individuals. When that is done, it is taking what is true for a minority of the population, and applying it to everyone. It is not helpful because it can have consequences for people who don't fit those statistics.
At this point, I can't help you. I have tried to tell you that if you come off as a decent human being, you will be respected as one, regardless of statistics. If that's not good enough, I have no answers for you. Just be yourself. Or maybe you should become a mentor for disadvantaged kids and teach them about geography or teach them how to do computer programs that can help them gain skills that will be marketable when they are ready to enter the workforce.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
If you live in the ghetto, but don't talk or act like it, how does living in a ghetto automatically disqualify someone for a job?
That's not what I meant, sorry if it came across like that.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
At this point, I can't help you. I have tried to tell you that if you come off as a decent human being, you will be respected as one, regardless of statistics. If that's not good enough, I have no answers for you. Just be yourself. Or maybe you should become a mentor for disadvantaged kids and teach them about geography or teach them how to do computer programs that can help them gain skills that will be marketable when they are ready to enter the workforce.
The thing is, I'm speaking from experience. Coming off as a decent human being doesn't mean a person is going to be free from racial profiling or other things of that manner. That is what I have been trying to tell you. I'm being myself because that is who I was taught to be, myself. I'm speaking from my own experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies