Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 03:32 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
45 year old grandmother...that already tells me something.

Perhaps it is survival of the fittest and The world has been spared another worthless cog?

Stupid people making stupid choices, oh well. there will be another story of the same in 3 weeks time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 03:40 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Perhaps it is survival of the fittest and The world has been spared another worthless cog?

Stupid people making stupid choices, oh well. there will be another story of the same in 3 weeks time.
Wow...this was really evil. Just disgustingly low. You should be ashamed.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:42 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
(45-1)/2=22
Well, yeah, but ... my mom had me when she was 22. That's prime child-bearing age. Having a child at that age doesn't mean you'll never amount to anything.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Texas Boy Killed By Family's Pit Bull | Fox News

So which one is it today, pitbull apologists? It clearly says it was a family dog so I guess you can't make the excuse about it being raised to be a fighter.

I know: it was identified as a pitbull for sensationalism! That must be it!
I don't know why anyone would keep those beasts around children, why take the chance?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:01 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't know why anyone would keep those beasts around children, why take the chance?
They keep the kids in line.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
newsflash: ALL TERRIERS WERE BRED FOR HUNTING AND KILLING!!! Yorkshire, bull, fox, whatever, they all have that drive pits are criticized for. Pits were bred to fight dogs, but they were also bred to be EXTREMELY docile towards humans. Pits that so much as growled at any person were culled. More than some other breeds that don't work as closely w/ humans (many other terriers and sight hounds), this has made them especially good to be around people and children.

My roommate has a pit and she's on her way to attaining a Masters and wants to work for the CIA. Every pit owner I know are educated, hard workers. I'd say close to 75% of them are middle class whites! You know nothing, it seems like and just want to hide in stereotypes and nonsense.
As humans, we tend to judge on probablity basis. I'm leaning to the belief that all mammal type animals have the ability to be docile, even lions--
See video. However, I will never attempt to gain that level of closeness to a lion. Just being 10 yards away from an uncaged lion will give me shivers.

Now back to pitbulls.

If I see an unleeshed pitbull wandering around, best believe I would be extra cautious, more so than with a Yorkshire terrier. My judgement, of course, is based on experience and media coverage.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Guess what I think of pit bulls. The 5 year old in this story is my granddaughter:

Family dog saves Denison girl from pit bull attack

And, I have a cousin whose family pit bull literally chewed one of her legs off.
Even if it's "the owners and not the breed" -- like in your article what kind of morons would choose to keep such a vicious dog around? Just because it killed the little dog in this case, that alone shows what how vicious it is.

You simply don't see most big dogs such as collies, great pyrenees, german shephards killing much smaller dogs. A big dog that kills a small dog just to kill it is a dog that should not be in any neighborhood.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:51 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
I have had dobermans that have had a similar reputation and have never had an issue with them. My youngest daughter used to ride one of them like a horse, pull her nub and never so much as a growl. Just because a dog is in the home, doesn't mean the dog wasn't trained as a fighting dog. I have neighbors with children who raise Pitts as fighting dogs... Having children doesn't make you a good parent or a responsible dog owner.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Many so-called family dogs are not family dogs at all. They are chained up/dumped in the backyard for the majority of their lives. This is especially true of pits and other breeds people use as guard dogs.

There's not enough info in this story to make ANY assumptions, but when it comes to dog attacks (regardless of breed), I can guarantee you:

-the dog wasn't neutered.
-the dog wasn't properly socialized
-the dog wasn't properly trained
-the dog was abused or neglected
-the dog was ill bred
-the dog was a yard dog

Find me a story where the attacking dog was neutered, properly socialized, properly trained, not abused or neglected, not ill bred, and not a yard dog, then I and many others like me would concede. Any dog who isn't raised or trained well can bite, regardless of breed.

When it comes to children being attacked, the one common factor apparent is the children being left unupervised with the dog. DO NOT LEAVE CHILDREN ALOE WITH DOGS!!! It doesn't matter one iota if it's a pit bull, golden retriever, or chihuahua. Children have been critically and fatally mauled by a variety of breeds, including Pomeranians, labs, and doxies. Children, especially very young children, and animals should always be supervised when together. I wonder if the child in this story was
Except that very many children are left alone with dogs -- and the most the dog does is slobber the child with it's tongue.

If you're going to have a dog that gets anywhere near a child, you need to make sure you have the right kind of dog and that the dog is trained. Assuming you can always keep a dog never tied, not kept alone in the yard ever and expect you're going to keep it far away from the kids at all times is foolish -- just get a dog that can be trusted.

I have a big dog that will not take food from a baby. He absolutely will not, even if the baby is trying to push a hotdog into his mouth. He's nothing but a gentle giant who is much more trustworthy than most people. He also does not try to get cats, or much smaller dogs but his background is working with and protecting sheep.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why are you not angry at the adults supervising? Should they have not had the dog crated when the infant was present?

The problems with most dogs is their owners and the lack of supervision, especially around children. Pit bull stories sell papers, abortion stories less so.

"If it bleeds, it leads."
Okay - maybe it's not the dog's fault at all -- or it's breed -- but what can be done with dolts that allow their dogs to kill their own children and grandchildren or the children of their neighbors?

It's time to hold the dog owner accountable for the actions of their dogs and give them prison time for murder.

People get in worse trouble for having inanimate objects like guns left laying around children -- but they aren't held accountable for having a vicious animal that actively hunts children down.

Or maybe it's a type of Darwinism that happened here. These idiots lost their own grandchild because they were irresponsible pet owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies