Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times

Advertisements

Walmart is finally feeling the pressure from the anti-GMO crowd. It is the latest and biggest food retailer to take a serious look at GMO products.
If we continue to raise awareness, we can force retailers to at least identify the GMOs or STOP selling them altogether!!

From the article---

We’re giving Walmart a golden opportunity to join other major retailers and do the right thing,” said Wenonah Hauter, executive director of Food & Water Watch, in a news statement.

To date, General Mills, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods have agreed not to use GE sweet corn in their product line.

Read more: Walmart being pressured to say no to GE sweet corn

New look at GMOs

Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
this could be interesting, i would bet a huge portion of walmart food is GMO. labeling would be a great step though. I think it would cause gmo containing food sales to drop a lot.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:25 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,066,590 times
I prefer GE foods. They are the most efficient way to make use of the resources we have to feed the world's population. In the market I use, where local produce too ripe to ship is sold, they are easily identified as the largest, most defect-free, and longest-lasting (fridge shelf life) fruits and veggies. The organic stuff is invariably covered in mold or riddled with insect holes and sometimes larvae. Yuck!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
I think the keyword there is LOCAL, --how do you know it is GE? Everything NOT organic is not necessarily GMO/GE. I know a lot of farmers who do not care to get organic certification, but are certainly organic or very close.

Last edited by joe moving; 01-16-2012 at 09:05 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I prefer GE foods. They are the most efficient way to make use of the resources we have to feed the world's population. In the market I use, where local produce too ripe to ship is sold, they are easily identified as the largest, most defect-free, and longest-lasting (fridge shelf life) fruits and veggies. The organic stuff is invariably covered in mold or riddled with insect holes and sometimes larvae. Yuck!
Packaged apples (non-organic) are coated in a soy preservative. I am allergic to soy and must buy the organic apples. The big agri-conglomerates love to put soy and other preservatives in many food items that are completely unecessary.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
monsanto.com? We can grow locally and avoid built in pesticides. How much can we grow within a hundred mile radius of most urban areas?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM

742 posts, read 678,678 times
Quote:
Do you have an proof/sources to GMO "feeding the world population to end hunger"? I have yet to find any. More likely that GMO cons of destroying crops is in fact not helping the world.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:36 AM

Default Sometimes The Truth prevails

While Monsanto is able to buy its way into our fields and onto our tables, Monsanto is slowly losing credibility with the rest of the world.

Australia has regulations that force food producers to label all foods that contain over 1% GMOs...

And a web article from Reader SUpported News tells us how Monsanto is controlling what farmers can plant and the monopolization of pesticides.

Even farmers have risen up against Monsanto and genetically modified seeds, with Monsanto forcing thousands of farmers into debt worldwide. In India, Monsanto has ruined the lives of so many farmers that the prevalence of their suicide has led to a large farming area to be titled the ‘suicide belt of India'. Some have even blamed Monsanto for the recent bird and fish deaths, claiming that the poison coming from their factories may have poisoned animals worldwide. Monsanto's destruction isn't limited to the environment, however.

READ MORE

Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Walmart is finally feeling the pressure from the anti-GMO crowd. It is the latest and biggest food retailer to take a serious look at GMO products.
If we continue to raise awareness, we can force retailers to at least identify the GMOs or STOP selling them altogether!!

From the article---

We’re giving Walmart a golden opportunity to join other major retailers and do the right thing,” said Wenonah Hauter, executive director of Food & Water Watch, in a news statement.

To date, General Mills, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods have agreed not to use GE sweet corn in their product line.

Read more: Walmart being pressured to say no to GE sweet corn

New look at GMOs

GE sweet corn? That is a minuscule market, nothing what so ever... Corn based sweeteners is another story!!!!... Corn sweeteners such as high fructose corn syrup, are made from field corn, the same corn you feed livestock or make ethanol from.. I trust this is an error on the authors part, and they mean GE corn sweeteners....NOT GE sweet corn......

Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I think the keyword there is LOCAL, --how do you know it is GE? Everything NOT organic is not necessarily GMO/GE. I know a lot of farmers who do not care to get organic certification, but are certainly organic or very close.
I agree...But then only open pollinated crops... If you have non organic seed, that is hybrid, one could unsuspectingly be using a GM product, as Monsanto is buying up seed companies left and right, and sneaking in GM products..

So to be safe be sure the seed is organic, or open pollinated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies