Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Marines who urinated ?
These Marines should be court martialed and sent to Levanworth 12 8.82%
These Marines should be dishonorably discharged 22 16.18%
These Marines should be demoted and lose stripes 8 5.88%
These Marines should get Article 15 restricted duty, counseling and unsatisfactory Proficiency and Conduct 28 20.59%
These Marines should get Article 15 counseling only 28 20.59%
These Marines should not be disciplined at all 38 27.94%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
marines who are the first line of defense need to be barbaric. They can not play nice with people trying to kill them
This is true to some extent but Marines are also taught discipline. We value integrity above all else and pride ourselves on how that seperates us from the rest. Like I said on another thread on the same topic. They were good kills and it should have been left at that. I could care less about the Taliban's feelings on this and only how it was a departure from Marine Corps discipline and integrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
As a former Marine, I'll sound off.

That kind of behavior is unacceptable and there's no excuse for it. Granted, the adrenaline from combat action can cloud judgement, as it no doubt did in this case. But it's one incident in a period of service for those four young men. None of us knows the background or the prior performance of those Marines. They may have magnificent records for all we know.

What they should get is Article 15 (office hours) UCMJ consequences, meaning possible fines and/or losing a stripe.
This is not such thing as a former Marine. Once you are a Marine, you are always a Marine! The rest of your post is spot on and the most sensible I have seen yet. Rep!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Slight correction. We call it Office Hours in the Marine Corps.
Thanks.
Only Marines I ever worked with were on board ship, and answered, ultimately, to the Ship's Captain.

Of course that was a while back. Things change.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Not to disrespect their service, but just how long were these men in a combat role. Implying their judgement was imparted by ten years of combat service is not appropriate.

Unless their rules of engagement included such actions, those actions violated their orders. They should answer for their failure to follow orders, implied or otherwise.
I don't know about these men but I do know that the Marines have spent over twice the deployment time of any other branch of service including the Army in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Standard deployments usually last a year but the Marines have had their deployments extended to 16 months for several years now. Then they get 6 months home if they are lucky and go right back for 16 more months in Afghanistan or Iraq. It is hard on them. Especially the ones who have families back home.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
OK here is your chance to judge your Marines. The Marines you sent into combat. The Marines that have spent the past 10 years constantly being deployed to 2 wars. The Marines that have their own kids growing up without them so they can protect and serve you and your kids. So what do you want to do with the 4 Marines in the video?
Their not my Marines, I didn't send them anywhere, I don't need or ask for their protection in foreign sovereign lands.
My Marines would be based in My country, on My shores and would not be used as corporate police pawns.
The video is a result of a warmongering culture that has been brainwashed into thinking MIGHT IS RIGHT.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
I don't know about these men but I do know that the Marines have spent over twice the deployment time of any other branch of service including the Army in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Standard deployments usually last a year but the Marines have had their deployments extended to 16 months for several years now. Then they get 6 months home if they are lucky and go right back for 16 more months in Afghanistan or Iraq. It is hard on them. Especially the ones who have families back home.
Yes, it's been hard on our Marines. Does not mean we should abandon discipline and integrity. The Marines in question should receive Office Hours and be punished accordingly from their CO (likely restriction, some pay, and maybe demotion in rank). They should not receive more punishment simply because it's become a media firestorm. Anything more than Office Hours would be unjust.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
I have a nephew that went over with that unit out of Columbus, the 24th I think, that lost all those men in a few weeks. He came home after that one tour and they were never called back. May be an exception.

I think some of these guys that are doing multiply tours may be asking for it, might be an indication something is a little off in their head. Maybe a death wish.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprague and Henwood View Post
I think Hillary wouldn't have a problem with the situation if it was the enemy urinating on our Marines.
Who's to say, they haven't!!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We also do not have any history or context as to who these Marines were fighting. Were these Taliban raping or murdering civilians?
Pointing at someone else's bad behaviour doesn't justify bad behaviour. We need to be better than that, even if others use our behaviour to justify their misdeeds.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 AM

123 posts, read 60,621 times
Quote:
OK here is your chance to judge your Marines. The Marines you sent into combat. The Marines that have spent the past 10 years constantly being deployed to 2 wars. The Marines that have their own kids growing up without them so they can protect and serve you and your kids. So what do you want to do with the 4 Marines in the video?
I'd like to see four winkies hanging out. I'd like to see four streams of pee. I'd like to see four yellow wet spots on the clothes! When I do, I'll comment then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies