Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:15 PM

14,485 posts, read 11,301,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I think you've captured the truth and irony of this.
Yeah the mural is actually inspiring. Why couldn't she just ignore the parts she didn't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,924,531 times
It takes brave people like this student to force the government to actually abide by the constitution. For far too long, people have turned a blind eye to the fact that Christianity has enjoyed defacto state religion status in many government buildings and public schools. A prayer mural in a public school is patently offensive and unconstitutional.

8,323 posts, read 15,181,065 times
Public school setting. "Prayer Mural" is not appropriate.

Why are theists so insecure about their religion that they need a prayer mural in a public school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yeah the mural is actually inspiring. Why couldn't she just ignore the parts she didn't like.
Would you say the same if it referenced "Allah" instead of "Heavenly Father"?

19,893 posts, read 18,464,731 times
Quote:
That is a good valid point. However you know the makings of humans, we seem all too often, to see what it is we don't like and seem to ingore that in what we know is good.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 PM

9,320 posts, read 14,934,641 times
I just can't believe that people live in this country and don't understand separation of church and state. How would they feel if a Muslim prayer was hung up in the school?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:22 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,497,725 times
Quote:
This had nothing to do with the law. It was about her inability to handle exclusion.
The law is quite clear. We do NOT live in a Theocracy, this has no place whatsoever in a public school.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:28 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,802,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
What an extraordinary young woman at 16.
Extraordinarilly narcissistic

It's in vogue to play the minority athiest who can't be exposed to anything religious in their daily lives. Their heads might explode and we can't have exploding heads all over the place!! Well, in a small percentage of the places, anyway.

Funny thing is their absolute belief in No God is actually more controlling than monotheistic religion has ever been. When they win in such a ridiculous fashion, the next thing will be removing crosses from church steeples. Wait until they truly become extreme and want to drive all religion out of existence, for the common good of course.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Extraordinarilly narcissistic

It's in vogue to play the minority athiest who can't be exposed to anything religious in their daily lives. Their heads might explode and we can't have exploding heads all over the place!! Well, in a small percentage of the places, anyway.

Funny thing is their absolute belief in No God is actually more controlling than monotheistic religion has ever been. When they win in such a ridiculous fashion, the next thing will be removing crosses from church steeples. Wait until they truly become extreme and want to drive all religion out of existence, for the common good of course.
So it's perfectly fine for a public school to publicly display a religious prayer mural?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,040,088 times
I find it hard to understand how anyone here can defend the young lady while at the same time say you are "upholding the law". Show me where in the Constitution it says that a religious themed mural cannot be in a public school? The First Ammendment sates that "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". People who are hostile to people of faith love to trot out the First Ammendment yet always conveniently forget the part I italicised. The mural was has been there for 50 years. It is part of the school. Some insecure young lady should not have the power to force the removal of something that has historical value in the school. The only way the First Ammendment would have been violated is if the state had passed a law requiring the mural to be put up. It's simple presence which came from the free choice of the majority of students, faculty, and parents does not constitute an establishment of religion.

Anyone who supports the removal of the mural is the enemy of the First Ammendment. Stop twisting our Constitution to fit your own agendas.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I find it hard to understand how anyone here can defend the young lady while at the same time say you are "upholding the law". Show me where in the Constitution it says that a religious themed mural cannot be in a public school? The First Ammendment sates that "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". People who are hostile to people of faith love to trot out the First Ammendment yet always conveniently forget the part I italicised. The mural was has been there for 50 years. It is part of the school. Some insecure young lady should not have the power to force the removal of something that has historical value in the school. The only way the First Ammendment would have been violated is if the state had passed a law requiring the mural to be put up. It's simple presence which came from the free choice of the majority of students, faculty, and parents does not constitute an establishment of religion.

Anyone who supports the removal of the mural is the enemy of the First Ammendment. Stop twisting our Constitution to fit your own agendas.
I defend the young lady, not by way of the First Amendment, but by this magical thing called common sense.

Common sense dictates that a school is no place for religion.

Though.... I find it interesting that you bring up that people who defend her are "enemies of the first amendment" because neither scenario of a school putting up nor taking down a religious mural even remotely touches the first amendment. In case you missed it, I'll italicize the important part you skipped.

"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

And last I checked, a school is not congress.

So just as those who point to the First Amendment for taking it down are "enemies of the First Amendment", that title also includes those who point to the First Amendment as a scapegoat to post their insecure religious mantra everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies