Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:53 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Given the amount of hatred in this country now along ideological lines, the constant preaching of that hatred by unscrupulous mouthpieces and the identification of other opinions as the "enemy," I'm afraid all it will take to set off roving mobs searching for "liberals" or "right-wingers" to kill is some inconsequential event, some spark to ignite the passions.

People think it can't happen here, but it can. Unless we return to some measure of civility and tolerance for our differences, it seems almost inevitable to me. We can't go on building ideological pressures without an explosion happening at some point.

Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be short-lived and won't lead to the overthrow of our Constitution. I'm not optimistic, though. There are surely individuals lurking in the wings ready to sally forth and "save" America from some perceived enemy, a "saving" which won't retain our democracy but, instead, replace it with a right or left wing tyranny. Or, worse yet, a religious tyranny.
Yes...if we are really lucky it will never happen...I'm afraid that one day it will though...frustrated people are easy to sway to a certain way of thinking by charismatic "leaders" and in the volatile times we live in trouble is just a matchstick away.

To much hatred,to much bias,to much Gov't etc etc....bad deal really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
May as well look:

chicano park - Flickr: Search (http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=chicano%20park - broken link)

Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You're so right, they can't hold a candle to freedom fighters.

You hold Castro in higher esteem than Reagan?
That sure speaks volumes.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Then they should fight to remove the crime. This mural is supported by La Raza. Which, we all know is about "The Race." This has nothing to do with the beaches of San Diego, the culture of California. Watch the video, it says otherwise, who's allowed around the "PARK" and who's not.

Look through parks of California, the reputation of this park. People don't feel safe to have a family picnic, let alone a tourist spot, unless your a gang member that is.

Taxpayers shouldn't reward bad activity, like drug cartels and gang members.
law abiding citizens of every culture do what they can to fight crime in their neighborhood. crime happens all over, in all neighborhoods that has nothing to do with taking care of public art. lots of people and communities support the mural, just because la raza does too doesn't make it not worthy of restoration.

this is a mural park, land locked by other neighborhoods why should it depict the beaches? the culture of california includes hispanic people. the area is mostly hispanic, the murals reflect the lives lived.

because the area is rough you think taxpayers should just let it go?
your objections are based on the people who live there not living the kind of life you want them to lead. that is judgement about people not about any mural.

do you support any public art? or just don't support ethnic art?
would you support this restoration if it was censored to exclude che and castro?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
May as well look:

chicano park - Flickr: Search (http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=chicano%20park - broken link)
Looks more like Mexico City, then any California Park, I'm use to.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
law abiding citizens of every culture do what they can to fight crime in their neighborhood. crime happens all over, in all neighborhoods that has nothing to do with taking care of public art. lots of people and communities support the mural, just because la raza does too doesn't make it not worthy of restoration.

this is a mural park, land locked by other neighborhoods why should it depict the beaches? the culture of california includes hispanic people. the area is mostly hispanic, the murals reflect the lives lived.

because the area is rough you think taxpayers should just let it go?
your objections are based on the people who live there not living the kind of life you want them to lead. that is judgement about people not about any mural.

do you support any public art? or just don't support ethnic art?
would you support this restoration if it was censored to exclude che and castro?
No, I believe when you move to a country, you assimilate and act like a citizen of that country. This has, "take back what was stole from us" written all over it!!

Art is not for taxpayers to pay for. Like I said, if they wanted it painted they should raise the money. I have friends without jobs in Calif. Much more is at stake, then a La Raza Mural, and a park, where most people are not welcome.

So, if up in Michigan the paint a mural and put Bin Laden on it, you okay with that?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds;22644357[B
]No, I believe when you move to a country, you assimilate and act like a citizen of that country. This has, "take back what was stole from us" written all over it!![/b]

Art is not for taxpayers to pay for. Like I said, if they wanted it painted they should raise the money. I have friends without jobs in Calif. Much more is at stake, then a La Raza Mural, and a park, where most people are not welcome.

So, if up in Michigan the paint a mural and put Bin Laden on it, you okay with that?
you didn't answer my questions, are you saying you do not support public art period? would you support a restoration of another series of murals done in a different part of town? your postings sounds like you object to this public art from a personal bias against the "subject matter" not because it is a "public art".

you want people to assimilate and by your reaction to these cultural murals you would also like them to forget their heritage. you can't seem to separate the issues from the art. you allow your personal bias to overrule your rational and compassion, by refusing to see any good this art could do for a struggling neighborhood.

public art has been around for decades. there is a process to it and no I doubt a mural of the big bad bin laden would go up in a public space but to answer that thought, yes I support public art even if I don't like it.

perhaps if your friend in ca knew how to paint and was hooked up in the arts he could of been one of the people who had a job from this restoration.

BTW the flicker account with the great pics. yes that is how ca. has always looked. do you not like cultural dance with costumes either?

Old 01-21-2012, 12:41 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times
Imagine a park with Italian themes, featuring a couple of murals of Mussolini.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:05 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
all I am doing is asking you to think that's all. it has nothing to do with being right or wrong it is about looking at the entire picture. nothing is black and white. you do yourself a disservice if you close off to the entire picture. which is why I asked you the questions in my last post. can you answer them or do you want to close off to the possibility that some things may be different then you originally thought. what is it about self introspection that has you so worried. are you afraid you will change your mind, or are your beliefs that fragile you won't/can't talk/defend them past the initial thought?
All you are doing is judging me based on my age ("young one") and beliefs, just like almost everyone else on CD who doesn't agree with me. Again, why should I subject myself to that?
you said you support the arts, why not this project?
It's not the art necessarily that I mind; it's the fact the the government (us) is paying for it. I don't think that it should have been funded in the first place. Che and Castro were/are terrible people, who did terrible things, so I don't think that the American Government should be supporting murals that glorify them.
the questions I asked are relevant and most have nothing to do with inexperience only opinion.
a person can be young and have much more knowledge then a older person twice their age.
A point that I have made several times on several different threads.
younger people only because they are young and have not had the opportunities to be exposed to other ideas and cultures that might give them a different slant on situations. which is the only thing that stands in their way.

don't grow up to be a closed minded person who can't see the whole picture.
I'm not closed minded at all. I am firm in my beliefs, you may hold on to the delusion that that is being closed minded if you wish.
your opinion on it can stay the same or not. you don't help your yourself by just accepting things at a face value you see, without asking yourself the "hard" questions you think I ask you.
I don't remember saying that your questions were hard.
what is the logic behind not supporting this project?
1. We have way more important things that we could put tax dollars toward.
2. I don't believe in honoring bad people, even a little.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
-sniff, sniff-
Anyone else smell that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies