Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
He's showing the mentility of what's coming out of America's high school's
He's showing the mentality of a tiny sample in one of his classes, is what he's doing.

Quote:
America's future, kids who want it ALL for free, because we all know, nobody pays for it............It's free right
Those are kids in one community college course in one right wing professor's economics class on their first day of school.

You, he, roysoldboy and Fox News agree that this means America is going to hell in a handbasket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
He's showing the mentality of a tiny sample in one of his classes, is what he's doing.

Those are kids in one community college course in one right wing professor's economics class on their first day of school.

You, he, roysoldboy and Fox News agree that this means America is going to hell in a handbasket.
And OWS is how many kids out of high school or in college, they say thousands are at these protest............is that a tiny sample, also?? Just what are most asking for,they didn't want the homeless to eat their food, or did you know that. They didn't even share their coffee.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
I don't know if the prof coined it but the 'tooth-fairy' politics meme deserves to be emblazoned on every GOP political ad this fall. This is what Pres. Obama and the Democrats have been selling--tooth fairy politics. That gov't can give us tuition, health care, retirement, housing etc. All by taxing the rich. And 80% of young college students buy into tooth fairy politics.

Until we can dislodge this magical belief from the minds of the masses, we are headed off a cliff.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:15 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I didn't watch the video yet but I agree with the above. In fact, I would say the problem is 90% parents and 10% school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I won't cross the words of the professor since he has dealt with those kids and others before them and might have a better knowledge of it all. I might go along with 50-50 though.
Okay, now that I have watched the video, I definitely think the school is much more to blame. I think 50/50 as well. The kids are being indoctrinated through the public school system but in many cases, the parents are of the "entitlement class" anyway so they are not pointing out that it's wrong to expect the gov't to just hand your life to you.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I wonder if Jack and thousands of other professors want to say what the REAL problem is: Parents... but FOX would never want to tell their viewers that it's their fault.

Too many young adults today just weren't raised with the skills to be self-sufficient adults. That's why they don't move out until their 30's, why they think they are automatically entitled to the same kind of life their parents have while somehow forgetting it took their parents 20-30 years of work to get there and why they throw a hissy fit whenever they don't get what they want.

Their parents never said NO when they had a tantrum in the store over a candy bar, hovered over them as they played under close supervision in a controlled environment and picked them up every time they fell instead of letting them get up on their own.

They got a wall full of "participant" trophies, were constantly told how wonderful and special they were, that they could do anything...be anything, never got a punishment more severe than a "time out" when they did bad and were otherwise sheltered from anything and everything even remotely negative.

And when they turn out to be 2 year olds in adult bodies who can't function in the real world we blame Public School and Obama!
I'm 28 and some members of my generation fall into the above description but the problem is getting worse with each passing year with these younger kids.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I watched a few minutes before I proceeded to vomit in my mouth.

Just some square middle aged curmudgeon whining about the next generation. The guy in the video doesn't even look that old, but I guess you are as old as you feel.

The future is for the young, the past is for the old folks. That's life, stop whining and embrace the next generation.
"stop whining and embrace the next generation."

I would if I didn't have to support them!!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"stop whining and embrace the next generation."

I would if I didn't have to support them!!
I wonder if our friend sf is going to embrace the next generation when HE'S a middle aged curmudgeon? No, of course not, that won't happen to HIM.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:32 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess I didn't hear those words in that video. About where did you hear them or are you just trying to deflect again?
That is all he does anymore.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:43 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,661 times
The real problem is that the American Dream is dying, yet the professor nor Faux News addressed this. Students are facing higher costs in education and health care while graduating with difficult prospects.

While many will get ahead, the sad truth is that America leads the developed world in lack of socio-economic mobility. Many will not attain the standard of living of their parents. In addition, the most significant variable of determining the success of a child is out of his/her control - having rich and successful parents.

We currently live in an economy, where the uber rich are doing very well, while the majority struggle or stagnant. Despite rising working productivity over the last three decades, household income has remained relatively constant, adjusted for inflation. Household income is roughly the same as it was in the 1960's. Most of the productivity gains have been captured by the uber rich.

Unfortunately, this pompous filled professor is completely oblivious to these facts and blames K-12, instead of addressing why students have these views.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Why is the sense of entitlement a character flaw and not a logical response to a system designed to exclude people? I would argue that a sense of entitlement is mostly wrong (we are entitled to human rights for example) but I think rather than being extremely divisive like Fox News, the actual cause of this trend is overlooked. The idiotic interviewer had to bring up the Occupy movement as the cause and his theory was quickly proved wrong, but Fox's agenda was already conveyed to the audience (Occupy = bad).

Is it not logical to scream for more when it's obvious you're not going to get anything no matter how much effort you put into it? Oliver Twist: "more gruel please". I think the brunt of the entitlement mentality comes from the sheer frustration at living in a system that rewards greed and corruption but claims hard work can also make you successful. I think this "blame people for being lazy" push by the media and conservatives is a way to deflect the problem of our sense of hopelessness away from its real cause: the American dream is only attainable for those without morals and without regard to anyone but themselves.

Fox News and conservatives really don't want to address how unfair and unbalanced our economy is. They would rather let the elite continue to rape everyone else and then distract people from reaching this obvious conclusion. Could that not be a more definitive example of entitlement mentality? The elite, the media, and the ignorant are letting the really selfish get everything by not looking at the real cause.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 01-22-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies