Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,121,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What about those who WOULD be starving in the streets? Do you doubt such people exist, and should we punish them for the abusers?
Soup kitchens, food banks, other charities. I don't think we let people starve in the streets in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 AM

4,788 posts, read 5,920,154 times
If they are obese, they should not get food stamps.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:12 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,099,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Well that all depends. I highly doubt a single person with no dependents working full time at Walmart would qualify. Maybe part of the problem is absentee fathers not supporting their kids or single mothers choosing to have multiple children without any way to support them. See, the problem isn't Walmart wages, it's about choices. Minimum wage jobs were never meant to be lifelong careers.

How are these poor people affording junk food? Food banks and soup kitchens don't distribute junk food. So, obviously these people are finding the money to purchase junk food either with their own cash or their LINK/SNAP cards. I would rather put more money into food banks than onto these SNAP cards. At least we can ensure that the money is going towards nutrition.
I agree...it's not as easy to qualify when you're young with no children.
Food banks and soup kitchens DO hand out junk food...I've packed those boxes before. Sure they have the staples in there...but also cakes, cookies....etc.
Make healthy food cheaper and people may make better choices.
Also...many women don't CHOOSE to have kids, then end up single with a deadbeat ex.
The people that moan about that should contact their reps to complain about lack of Child Support Enforcement...so those single Moms can get off the welfare rolls.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
And let the millions who need Food Stamps Starve?
If we taxed the rich the cost of feeding the poor would not be "breaking " us. How about raising the minimum wage to a point that anyone working 40 hours would be ineligible? Currently half of the employees of SLAVEMART are getting Food Stamps while the owners have more money than 100,000,000 Americans. So we are subsidizing their greed with our tax dollars and Food Stamps
The rich are already taxed at a much higher rate than everyone else? At what point is it too much? 70% of their income, 80%? I don't understand why some of you think this is fair.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,598,704 times
I think before you ask the "should" questions, you should go volunteer to help the poor where they need help. Go face your neighbors in a food bank. Work in a thrift store. Buy a beggar a cup of coffee and have an honest, open chat. (The ones that brush you off are scamming.)

We are a family of individuals, albeit extended. Do you close your door in the face of a hungry family member when they come to ask for a meal? Do you send a grandparent out into the cold? Should you?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Obesity is a function of poor diet not eating too much but eating too much junk food. Working poor do not have the same food choices many of us do. Sugar and high fructose corn syrup laden garbage are not substitutes for a balanced diet.

Food banks are stretched thin and run low and limit who they serve.

My question is why a minimum wage job isn't enough to keep you off food stamps. Seems someone working full time at Walmart should NOT qualify for food stamps and Medicaid. Raise the minimum wage until the working poor earn enough to get off aid.
Seriously? How much do you think Walmart pays? Mininum wage is like $7.25?
Don't you think these people have rent/mortages, electricity bills, and other things they must pay for?
Just walking into a Dr. office here starts at $80...that's before you're even seen.
I'd love to see how you budget a paycheck from WM and afford all that.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 AM

674 posts, read 700,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Don't you think these people have rent/mortages, electricity bills, and other things they must pay for?
Just walking into a Dr. office here starts at $80...that's before you're even seen.
Don't you think that if you can't pay your bills with your current job it probably means you lack the skills and/or determination to get a better job? Most of us will never have to worry about budgeting a paycheck from WM because we are qualified to get a much better job. If you are interested in helping these people then send then a check to get better skills or simply invite them into your home so that they won't have to worry about rent/mortgages/electricity bills. If you live in the U.S. chances are that there is a local Walmart near you so you can do this.

Just please don't expect everyone to have the same concerns as you....

Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,901,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Maybe think twice before having children when making only $7.25 an hour and have no spouse?

The number of people on welfare is growing at absurdly fast rates. You can't possibly believe it's a good trend.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Obesity is a function of poor diet not eating too much but eating too much junk food. Working poor do not have the same food choices many of us do. Sugar and high fructose corn syrup laden garbage are not substitutes for a balanced diet.

Food banks are stretched thin and run low and limit who they serve.

My question is why a minimum wage job isn't enough to keep you off food stamps. Seems someone working full time at Walmart should NOT qualify for food stamps and Medicaid. Raise the minimum wage until the working poor earn enough to get off aid.
Yes they do have the same choices. With food stamps they can shop at the same stores as everyone else. Their should be more restrictions on what you can buy with foodstamps.

I know someone that volunteers at a food bank. People come in asking for the sugary cereals and quicker less healthy foods. They choose to pass on the big container of oatmeal or healthier choices. The poorer people I know are the ones that choose Mcdonalds food as a food staple. Part of the problem may be lack of education on how to eat healthy on the dollars you have. That kind of education has to come from home. The same bad habits are then passed on to their kids. It is a problem, but the problem isn't that good food isn't available.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Don't you think that if you can't pay your bills with your current job it probably means you lack the skills and/or determination to get a better job? Most of us will never have to worry about budgeting a paycheck from WM because we are qualified to get a much better job. If you are interested in helping these people then send then a check to get better skills or simply invite them into your home so that they won't have to worry about rent/mortgages/electricity bills. If you live in the U.S. chances are that there is a local Walmart near you so you can do this.

Just please don't expect everyone to have the same concerns as you....
I know people who are working at WM who have degrees.
I guess you haven't seen the uneployment rate lately.
You seem to think I've lost sleep over this topic....when in reality I just stated my opinion.
I just really get shocked to see people who seem to care so little for their fellow humans. You could very easily be in the same position one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies