Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That reminds me of something. My daughter's new semester just started. We were going over the syllabi from that various teachers. One of the sections on each of them is about behavior. Most of them have a section that say the teacher expects her students to use "yes ma'am", "no ma'am", etc. That may seem quaint or old fashioned to some people but I like that our culture here in the South still values manners even in this day and age.
But why is calling someone "ma'am" considered polite? I think it sounds silly. And a lot of people don't like being called 'sir' or 'ma'am' because it makes them feel old.

When someone calls me 'sir', I usually ask them to call me by my first name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 05:17 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
People in the Twin Cities are very polite. They do tend to have a negative view of Southerners, though, from my observations living there.
I've met friendly people from all over and unfriendly from several areas as well. Recently I went to Colorado and met just as friendly people there as I have seen from my own home, Charleston. Conversely, I have visited Connecticut and encountered very unfriendly people there. So, I am sure there are enclaves of friendly and unfriendly people everywhere.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
I've met friendly people from all over and unfriendly from several areas as well. Recently I went to Colorado and met just as friendly people there as I have seen from my own home, Charleston. Conversely, I have visited Connecticut and encountered very unfriendly people there. So, I am sure there are enclaves of friendly and unfriendly people everywhere.
The Intermountain West tends to be a pretty friendly place (I vastly prefer it over the Deep South actually, even though I consider the Deep South "friendlier.")

Connecticut? Not so much.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I'm not sure if this is a political question or not, so if you feel it to be something else, please feel free to move it. But I don't think it's a general U.S. question.

My question is - from a cultural standpoint - can somebody from a Northern state, that is any state that wouldn't be considered Southern, regardless of whether it's Northeast, Midwest, or West - become a true Southerner? Or do you have to be born there to qualify?

My guess is that we wouldn't be asking this question about other regions of the country. That being said, there's no right or wrong answer here, and I'm not judging anybody's thoughts - I'm just interested in hearing opinions.
No.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
But why is calling someone "ma'am" considered polite? I think it sounds silly. And a lot of people don't like being called 'sir' or 'ma'am' because it makes them feel old.

When someone calls me 'sir', I usually ask them to call me by my first name.
It's the most basic form of etiqutte. It's meant to show respect. That's all. You know etiquette and manners exist simply to make people feel respect and be at ease. At least that's what is intended when 'minding your manners'.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
It's the most basic form of etiqutte. It's meant to show respect. That's all. You know etiquette and manners exist simply to make people feel respect and be at ease. At least that's what is intended when 'minding your manners'.
That may be true in South Carolina, but believe me, in California and most parts of the country, being called "sir" or "ma'am" is not important.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
A lot of midwesterners talk and could easily pass for southerners, at least in parts of Missouri and Kansas.
South of US 60, yes, in MO.
North of there, no.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
That may be true in South Carolina, but believe me, in California and most parts of the country, being called "sir" or "ma'am" is not important.
Oh I do agree. I've seen it. But nonetheless, that's yet another regional difference.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times
Quote:
In other words, New York is more open-minded and accepting of people who are different.
I don't think it has anything to do with being open-minded and accepting differences though. There are certain customs and ways of thinking in any place, and that holds true in New York as well.

I'm also not saying that Southerners can't be accepting of people from other places in the country and be accepted there (assuming they adapt properly.) I'm more interested in the identity aspect.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
I was raised to show respect and sir and ma'am are part of that respect. I appreciate when someone addresses me in that manner as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies