Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:22 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I absolutely agree, except that I think becoming a Blue Nanny-State is the worse of two seriously evil evils. Though there's not a gnat's eyelash worth of difference between the two parties when you get right down to rock bottom motivation, which is, "We know what's best for you, don't worry your pretty little head about it, we'll do all your thinking and deciding for you and let you know how best you should run your life". Only difference is which parts of your life that they want to take over.

No, thank you. Independent I am, and independent I will remain. I have no interest in turning over my brain to any party. Heck, if I'd been interested in that, I wouldn't have been on the ramparts (old must-be-a-conservative boomer that I am - isn't it interesting how EVERYBODY needs a group to stereotype?) fighting for women's rights NOT to turn their brains over to men.
I agree. The Republicans want to legislate their idea of religious morality (wanting to reinstate the sodomy laws after the SC struck them down, no buying alcohol on Sundays, Sonogram Law, ect) and the Democrats believe you're too stupid to make decisions for yourself (seat belt laws, smoking bans, helmet laws, ect.) It's a sad when most Americans support freedoms being taken away from them in one way or another. The Founding Fathers wouldn't recognize the mess that the two parties have created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Can I get some of what you are smoking Metromatt? I'm not an obama zealot but the man has done a damn good job despite the unprecedented republican obstruction he faced.
The election of 2010 was a clear repudiation of the democrats' and Obama's disasterous policies on a national level.
Call it voter-mandated obstruction.
To think that Goodhair's unpopularity is somehow a stamp of approval for the Texas democrats is rather a bizarre stretch, IMO.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Suggesting that less educated poor people make up the majority of the Dem base is rather insulting, and frankly untrue. Plenty of uneducated poor people vote Republican too, just go to any small town in Texas and take a look.

I don't think you can just wave away gay rights and act as if it is not a deciding issue for young voters. Especially since the issue example you bring up, finding jobs after school, is not something that is a "republican-only" benefit. What republican actually has a job plan? Acting like when people hear the word "jobs" that they automatically think "republican" is more of the same type of prejudice you displayed in your first point. I do think gay rights IS a deciding issue for young people because the Republicans and Democrats are virtually identical on all other issues.

The only difference between Dems and Repubs are:

Repubs:
FOR corporate welfare
VEHEMENTLY AND RABIDLY anti -gay
VEHEMENTLY against abortion

Dems:
FOR personal welfare
So-so on gay rights
Pro Abortion Rights.

Other than the above, the two parties are almost identical. And while being the anti-abortion rights party will always draw some people to the republicans, their repugnant and mind-boggling homophobia is going to turn most people off. Especially younger voters who have been aware of gay people and gay culture most of their lives. Everything else is a draw really between the two parties. And as time goes on, and people stop listening to all the propaganda, the above is really the only issues people are going to vote on.

Foreign Policy, Immigrations, the economy, education, etc etc etc. are the same in both parties. Sure you get SOME politicians that SAY they want to shake up the status quo, but most of them are lying, and the ones that truly want too would never be able too because it takes more than one politician to turn this ship around. I mean look at immigration. Both parties talk a good game, but neither can do anything about improving our immigration process because they both block each other constantly.
Repubs:
FOR corporate welfare - then how do you explain the bailouts under a Dem President and congress?

VEHEMENTLY AND RABIDLY anti -gay - not true. Against gay marriage perhaps, but not the gay person.

VEHEMENTLY against abortion - True. And how is that wrong, just because you think it should be?

Dems:
FOR personal welfare - paid for by the government. Hardly "personal"
So-so on gay rights - actually, RABIDLY pro-gay agenda
Pro Abortion Rights. - paid for with tax dollars.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Repubs:
FOR corporate welfare - then how do you explain the bailouts under a Dem President and congress?

VEHEMENTLY AND RABIDLY anti -gay - not true. Against gay marriage perhaps, but not the gay person.

VEHEMENTLY against abortion - True. And how is that wrong, just because you think it should be?

Dems:
FOR personal welfare - paid for by the government. Hardly "personal"
So-so on gay rights - actually, RABIDLY pro-gay agenda
Pro Abortion Rights. - paid for with tax dollars.
The abortion comments aren't true at all except with regard to national politicians. Within the voters for Republicans there are man who believe the government has no business deciding such a personal decision. With the voters for Democrats there are many who believe the government needs to protect the unborn from what they believe is murder.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
In recent years, more Texans have been moving into Oklahoma than Oklahomans moving to Texas. Maybe that means Oklahoma is becoming even more red from migration from Texas, while Texas is becoming less red.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
It'll take a few more election cycles to actually vote Dem, but it will be a battleground state by 2020, I think.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeturro View Post
Isn't it kind of inevitable? The cities keep growing at a phenomenal rate, transplants from other liberal states are moving in, the typically conservative baby boomers are dieing off, the children of traditionally blue latino immigrants are reaching voting age, etc etc. I honestly dont see Texas being red too much longer.
when the democratic party represents the majority of the view in Texas. The democratic party is not friendly to this state at this time

Old 02-22-2012, 10:36 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
when the democratic party represents the majority of the view in Texas. The democratic party is not friendly to this state at this time
Can't blame the national Democratic party to share some love with the state when there is really no reason too since we're too far gone red. I will be so glad when politicians both Rep and Dem will actually have to contest our votes and serve Texans and not take us for granted.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
Never. Resitance is futile

Assimilate or be destroyed

Old 02-22-2012, 01:07 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Can't blame the national Democratic party to share some love with the state when there is really no reason too since we're too far gone red. I will be so glad when politicians both Rep and Dem will actually have to contest our votes and serve Texans and not take us for granted.
Sure you can blame the national Democratic party. the democratic party takes stances so hostile to Texas it makes it difficult to trust a Democrat at any level/ All though over here in fort worth we had a democratic mayor for years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies