Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,548,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Wow a black bigoted public school teacher. Who would have thunk that?
I don't think that language is necessary. There are some black conservatives on this board and they probably get enough nasty comments from their liberal relatives. I don't think the teacher is black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 03:51 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,549,428 times
Quote:
Wow a black bigoted public school teacher. Who would have thunk that?

Why is this teacher a bigot? Because he didn't accept an award from Ryan. So using your reasoning that hockey player is a Bigot for turning down the invitation to join the President and the rest of his team at the White House. The Congressman that boycotted the SOTU address is also a Bigot?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:53 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,776,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Why is this teacher a bigot? Because he didn't accept an award from Ryan. So using your reasoning that hockey player is a Bigot for turning down the invitation to join the President and the rest of his team at the White House. The Congressman that boycotted the SOTU address is also a Bigot?
Why not? Just using the standard lefty logic.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:55 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,549,428 times
Quote:
Why not? Just using the standard lefty logic.

sure sure...Uh huh.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:59 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,221,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That is just one event. It is insane to argue that MLK only cared about black workers. He had a pro labor track record all throughout the 1960s.

AFT - A Union of Professionals - Martin Luther King Jr. Talks about the Labor Movement

Here are a few quotes from the article.

"While we are mindful of the shocking fact that less than one-half of all non-white workers are covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act, we do not speak for Negro workers only. A living wage should be the right of all working Americans, and this is what we wish to urge upon our Congressmen and Senators as they now prepare to deal with this legislation."

"Today Negroes want above all else to abolish poverty in their lives and in the lives of the white poor."
I'm not arguing that--you're right. MLK was a strong supporter of labor, regardless of race. Fair wages and safe working conditions are a universal concept, and if he would have lived longer, many think he would have worked to forge an even stronger alliance between the civil rights movement and the labor movement, which at that time was dominated by white working class members. It's just that the situation faced by the Memphis sanitation workers in their attempts to organize, and in the working conditions that they were forced to endure, was an especially racially charged situation, and one of the reasons MLK personally went down to Memphis to help.

Last edited by mb1547; 01-27-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 09:53 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,312,333 times
Uh, I think that the point wasn't about MLK and more about Paul Ryan. So, people here are making this seem like the teacher had something against MLK when it was actually against the politician (Paul Ryan).

So, people should watch the video.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,276,978 times
Look, i can understand what this teacher is saying, and i agree with his sentiments on Paul Ryan.

Still though, Ryan is an elected official from his state, is a man worthy of respect from everything i know, and you shouldn't be so rude as to not accept an award that the man took time out of his schedule to present to you. Paul Ryan could be doing lots of things instead of presenting teachers with awards. Recognize that and accept the damn award out of graciousness even if you don't agree with him politically.

This stuff is getting out of hand. We now have athletes refusing to go to the White House which is ridiculous. Every American should take any opportunity to meet and shake hands with the Chief Exec regardless of politics. I never agreed with both Bush's or Reagan, but had any of them invited me to the WH, i would've went in a NY minute. The office is more important than the man. Show some damn respect!

This complete loss of civility is sickening.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:22 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,085,360 times
She is obviously a woman with no dignity.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,276,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
She is obviously a woman with no dignity.
"She?"

Who are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies