Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 05:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Blame the parents, blame the parents, blame the parents. Then, when all else fails, blame the parents again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 05:09 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Blame the parents, blame the parents, blame the parents. Then, when all else fails, blame the parents again!
Sadly, often there is only one parent.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Sadly, often there is only one parent.
I was talking collectively. Maybe I should have said, "Blame the parent, blame the parent, blame the parent".

Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
We need to rasie the bar and get rid of federal influence. We need to set the standards higher.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Because the government keeps trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place, thereby making it worse. Both Democrats and Republicans have had a hand in systematically tearing apart and dumbing down U.S. education through various bi-partisan Acts (No Child Left Behind, Race To The Top, et al.)

George Carlin was right-

Old 01-29-2012, 06:01 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I have been argueing this point forever. Not all students are college bound and we do still need brick masons, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, mechanics etc etc etc. Kids that are not college bound are basically left out of the equation. Very few districts still have vocational education programs and those that do are terribly underfunded.
I think that by in large, the students that want to go into skilled trades (auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc.) and some careers like hairstylists are still thought of fairly highly by TPTB in education. But not every non-college bound person is going into a skilled trade, and those are the students that get left behind.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
One Word: Parents. Parents don't care if their kids learn or not and raise little morons. Then the kids graduate and can't be productive in any capacity. So they become burdens on society. Or threats.
Thats why private schhols beat out public schools. Its not the uniforms, its not better teachers( they really aren't any better for the most part), its not that more money is spent. Its that the parents want their kids to learn.
The worst schools have the worst parents. Teachers will never come close to being the positive influence on a child that good parents are. No amount of money spent can change that.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
One Word: Parents. Parents don't care if their kids learn or not and raise little morons. Then the kids graduate and can't be productive in any capacity. So they become burdens on society. Or threats.
Thats why private schhols beat out public schools. Its not the uniforms, its not better teachers( they really aren't any better for the most part), its not that more money is spent. Its that the parents want their kids to learn.
The worst schools have the worst parents. Teachers will never come close to being the positive influence on a child that good parents are. No amount of money spent can change that.
Repost:

Quote:
Quote:
I was talking collectively. Maybe I should have said, "Blame the parent, blame the parent, blame the parent".

Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Because the government keeps trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place, thereby making it worse. Both Democrats and Republicans have had a hand in systematically tearing apart and dumbing down U.S. education through various bi-partisan Acts (No Child Left Behind, Race To The Top, et al.)

George Carlin was right-

This post right here is the answer to the OP's question. No doubt about it.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoz View Post
A couple questions for those of you who answered: first of all, what do unions have to do with anything? By "education" I am not necessarily referring to the business of schools. Education is much broader than that.

Also, what makes my thread title misleading?

I understand that many schools (especially high schools) have problems with crime such as fights and other violence, which can be very disruptive to the learning process. But what is it about our society that makes people not value education? I guess my real question is this: what hobbies/interests do people have which distract them from education? Do people just not care about anything not related to sports or rap anymore?
Today's kids' role models are celebrities, whether it be in the area of acting, singing (I use the term loosely), professional sports, etc., who are short on education but long on money and worldly attainments. When your hero is a wealthy rap star, basketball star, or (worst of all!) reality TV star who barely finished high school, why would you care about how much education you get? In a perfect world, loving, involved parents would be behind you, pushing you to succeed and understand the value of a good education, but when your parent(s) are too busy with their own love triangles, chemical dependencies, or whatever, who is really going to be there who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies