Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Neither the Vietnamese nor the Iraqis invaded America...they were wars of choice...
Japan, Germany and Italy didn't invade America, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:17 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,207 times
I found this interesting link yesterday, about tales of VietNam, by those who were there.

Rereading Vietnam

In 1943, at the age of 18, George Everette "Bud" Day of Sioux City, Iowa, enlisted in the Marines. He served in the Pacific during World War II, and later became a fighter pilot. He flew the F-84F Thunderstreak during the Korean War and the F-100F Super Sabre in Vietnam. Bud Day, a legendary "full-blooded jet-jock" as one recent account dubbed him, would see service in all three wars as a sanctified whole: For him the concept of the "long war" was something he had built his life around in the middle decades of the 20th century. As an Air Force major, he was the first commander of the squadron of fast FACs (forward air controllers), who loitered daily for hours over North Vietnamese airspace, seeking out targets for other fighter bombers. With the most dangerous air mission in the Vietnam War, Day and the other fast FACs were known as "Misty warriors." Misty was the radio call sign that Day himself had chosen for the squadron, inspired by his favorite Johnny Mathis song. The Mistys were "an aggressive bunch of bastards who pressed the fight; they got down in the weeds" and "trolled for trouble," writes Robert Coram in a recently published book about Bud Day, American Patriot. On August 26, 1967, Bud Day's luck ran out. He was shot down over North Vietnam.

There's more, click link on title

Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 PM

764 posts, read 1,457,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Japan, Germany and Italy didn't invade America, either.
Still a poor comparison; they intended to dominate the world and control people, resources, and economies. Iran and Iraq have no ability to do such things, nor did the North Vietnamese. We have given Iraq and Iran far more power now than they ever had. Our foreign policy in the last 7 years has been atrocious. There are no excuses or comparisons to honorable historic events to overshadow the many foreign policy mistakes of this administration.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:36 PM

16 posts, read 44,804 times
Despite the fact that the topic is inherently bias favoring the government, I think it is important for people to protest. Complete compliance with what our government does is absolutely opposite from what this country was intended to be. I doubt the affects of protestors prolong war; however, I do not believe I am knowledgable enough to comment on the subject. What I will say is that I believe that many of the most recent wars we have fought have been for the motives of the few instead of the needs of the many. As I said in another post. Wars like Vietnam and Iraq were meant to be prolonged. And as I said before in another post the perfect example of this is eisenhowers idea of the military industrial complex.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 PM

478 posts, read 959,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trup8riot86 View Post
Despite the fact that the topic is inherently bias favoring the government, I think it is important for people to protest. Complete compliance with what our government does is absolutely opposite from what this country was intended to be. I doubt the affects of protestors prolong war; however, I do not believe I am knowledgable enough to comment on the subject. What I will say is that I believe that many of the most recent wars we have fought have been for the motives of the few instead of the needs of the many. As I said in another post. Wars like Vietnam and Iraq were meant to be prolonged. And as I said before in another post the perfect example of this is eisenhowers idea of the military industrial complex.
Bingo. Finally someone gets it. This war, like Vietnam, is meant to be sustained as long as possible - and the military industrial complex makes out like bandits... not to mention the ultimate prize with this one: that good ol Texas Tea. But if people would like to keep believing that the U.S. invaded Iraq for all the Bullsh*t reasons you were told on television, well by all means go right ahead if it makes you feel better. Then maybe follow it up with a couple of Captain Marvel comic books before bedtime tonight...

Old 09-04-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
. . . for all the Bullsh*t reasons . . .
Don't you mean Bushlit?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:05 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
You would compare Imperial Japan, who along with the Nazi Germany and others were intent on total war to take control of the world, to Iraq and Iran? Have you lost it or what?

We aren't going to be permitted to control the world's resources by warring on every nation that doesn't want to kow-tow to America. Why is that so difficult for you to grasp?
With all due respect, I think you need to do some research on the fanatical brand of Shi'ite Islam which is believe in by the leaders of contemporary Iran. These guys make the Christian "rapture" folks look like preschoolers.

And we don't have to "war..on every nation"; we just have to do a little disciplining every now and then.

Concerning the nutballs in Iran, here's a recent article from the London Telegraph. I don't know about you, but I find it worrying:

'Divine mission' driving Iran's new leader
By Anton La Guardia
Last Updated: 12:33am GMT 15/01/2006

As Iran rushes towards confrontation with the world over its nuclear programme, the question uppermost in the mind of western leaders is "What is moving its President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to such recklessness?"

Political analysts point to the fact that Iran feels strong because of high oil prices, while America has been weakened by the insurgency in Iraq.

But listen carefully to the utterances of Mr Ahmadinejad - recently described by President George W Bush as an "odd man" - and there is another dimension, a religious messianism that, some suspect, is giving the Iranian leader a dangerous sense of divine mission.

In November, the country was startled by a video showing Mr Ahmadinejad telling a cleric that he had felt the hand of God entrancing world leaders as he delivered a speech to the UN General Assembly last September.

When an aircraft crashed in Teheran last month, killing 108 people, Mr Ahmadinejad promised an investigation. But he also thanked the dead, saying: "What is important is that they have shown the way to martyrdom which we must follow."

The most remarkable aspect of Mr Ahmadinejad's piety is his devotion to the Hidden Imam, the Messiah-like figure of Shia Islam, and the president's belief that his government must prepare the country for his return.

One of the first acts of Mr Ahmadinejad's government was to donate about £10 million to the Jamkaran mosque, a popular pilgrimage site where the pious come to drop messages to the Hidden Imam into a holy well.

All streams of Islam believe in a divine saviour, known as the Mahdi, who will appear at the End of Days. A common rumour - denied by the government but widely believed - is that Mr Ahmadinejad and his cabinet have signed a "contract" pledging themselves to work for the return of the Mahdi and sent it to Jamkaran.

Iran's dominant "Twelver" sect believes this will be Mohammed ibn Hasan, regarded as the 12th Imam, or righteous descendant of the Prophet Mohammad.

He is said to have gone into "occlusion" in the ninth century, at the age of five. His return will be preceded by cosmic chaos, war and bloodshed. After a cataclysmic confrontation with evil and darkness, the Mahdi will lead the world to an era of universal peace.

This is similar to the Christian vision of the Apocalypse. Indeed, the Hidden Imam is expected to return in the company of Jesus.

Mr Ahmadinejad appears to believe that these events are close at hand and that ordinary mortals can influence the divine timetable.

The prospect of such a man obtaining nuclear weapons is worrying. The unspoken question is this: is Mr Ahmadinejad now tempting a clash with the West because he feels safe in the belief of the imminent return of the Hidden Imam? Worse, might he be trying to provoke chaos in the hope of hastening his reappearance?

The 49-year-old Mr Ahmadinejad, a former top engineering student, member of the Revolutionary Guards and mayor of Teheran, overturned Iranian politics after unexpectedly winning last June's presidential elections.

The main rift is no longer between "reformists" and "hardliners", but between the clerical establishment and Mr Ahmadinejad's brand of revolutionary populism and superstition.

Its most remarkable manifestation came with Mr Ahmadinejad's international debut, his speech to the United Nations.

World leaders had expected a conciliatory proposal to defuse the nuclear crisis after Teheran had restarted another part of its nuclear programme in August.

Instead, they heard the president speak in apocalyptic terms of Iran struggling against an evil West that sought to promote "state terrorism", impose "the logic of the dark ages" and divide the world into "light and dark countries".

The speech ended with the messianic appeal to God to "hasten the emergence of your last repository, the Promised One, that perfect and pure human being, the one that will fill this world with justice and peace".

In a video distributed by an Iranian web site in November, Mr Ahmadinejad described how one of his Iranian colleagues had claimed to have seen a glow of light around the president as he began his speech to the UN.

"I felt it myself too," Mr Ahmadinejad recounts. "I felt that all of a sudden the atmosphere changed there. And for 27-28 minutes all the leaders did not blink…It's not an exaggeration, because I was looking.

"They were astonished, as if a hand held them there and made them sit. It had opened their eyes and ears for the message of the Islamic Republic."

Western officials said the real reason for any open-eyed stares from delegates was that "they couldn't believe what they were hearing from Ahmadinejad".

Their sneaking suspicion is that Iran's president actually relishes a clash with the West in the conviction that it would rekindle the spirit of the Islamic revolution and - who knows - speed up the arrival of the Hidden Imam.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
With all due respect, I think you need to do some research . . .
Thanks for your concern about the possibility that I may be lacking in knowledge of those things about which it seems you believe you are expert, but I've managed to get along quite well with research for awhile now.

You might be favor of warring on or disciplining other nations, but it is a very dangerous policy and will fail in the end to achieve what people who approach matters such as you hope for.

Killing everyone who disagrees with American policy is a doomed tactic. Thankfully for all of us you are in a minority that is getting ever smaller.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:42 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
Thanks for your concern about the possibility that I may be lacking in knowledge of those things about which it seems you believe you are expert, but I've managed to get along quite well with research for awhile now.

You might be favor of warring on or disciplining other nations, but it is a very dangerous policy and will fail in the end to achieve what people who approach matters such as you hope for.

Killing everyone who disagrees with American policy is doomed as a successful tactic. Thankfully for all of us you are in a minority that is getting ever smaller.
I thought I made a respectful reference, and I included some background. Sorry to have offended you. I do not claim to be an expert at anything -- only a student of history. I had assumed that you were one, also.

I do not nor have I ever suggested that we should "Kill.. everyone who disagrees with American policy." I am disappointed that you would distort my opinions in that way.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I thought I made a respectful reference, and I included some background. Sorry to have offended you. I do not claim to be an expert at anything -- only a student of history. I had assumed that you were one, also.

I do not nor have I ever suggested that we should "Kill.. everyone who disagrees with American policy." I am disappointed that you would distort my opinions in that way.
How else do you intend for me to view your suggestions for "total war" to achieve the goals you favor? Or "do a little disciplining every now and then . . ." to achieve them? If doing these things does not involve killing those who disagree, please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies