Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:44 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times

Advertisements

"To announce that there must be NO criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President Right or Wrong, is not only UNPATRIOTIC and SERVILE, but is Morally TREASONABLE to the American Public." Former Republican President, Theodore Roosevelt

I would add further that this would included his policies as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 01:29 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
"To announce that there must be NO criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President Right or Wrong, is not only UNPATRIOTIC and SERVILE, but is Morally TREASONABLE to the American Public." Former Republican President, Theodore Roosevelt

I would add further that this would included his policies as well.
That quote gets kind of old after awhile.
Besides, it doesn't apply in this case because many Republicans don't agree with Bush on all of his policies, myself included.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:37 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
Still a poor comparison; they intended to dominate the world and control people, resources, and economies. Iran and Iraq have no ability to do such things, nor did the North Vietnamese. We have given Iraq and Iran far more power now than they ever had. Our foreign policy in the last 7 years has been atrocious. There are no excuses or comparisons to honorable historic events to overshadow the many foreign policy mistakes of this administration.
Not a poor comparison at all. Both Iraq and Iran had/have terrorists in their country who could easily sell some kind of WMD like ricin to other terrorists who could then sneak it into the U.S. or Great Britain or France, etc.

If something like that was sneaked into the U.S. and was successfully used to kill thousands or even hundreds of thousands of people, all I would hear the liberals saying would be "Why didn't Bush do anything!"

When he tries to fight terrorism, he is criticized; if he didn't, he would be criticized. He can't win with some people only because he is a Republican.

And if you think our foreign policy has been "atrocious" during the last 7 years, what about during the '90s, when the policy to fight terrorists was pacifism? That really worked well, didn't it?

Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 AM

764 posts, read 1,456,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Not a poor comparison at all. Both Iraq and Iran had/have terrorists in their country who could easily sell some kind of WMD like ricin to other terrorists who could then sneak it into the U.S. or Great Britain or France, etc.

If something like that was sneaked into the U.S. and was successfully used to kill thousands or even hundreds of thousands of people, all I would hear the liberals saying would be "Why didn't Bush do anything!"

When he tries to fight terrorism, he is criticized; if he didn't, he would be criticized. He can't win with some people only because he is a Republican.

And if you think our foreign policy has been "atrocious" during the last 7 years, what about during the '90s, when the policy to fight terrorists was pacifism? That really worked well, didn't it?
Bring up the past regarding those miserable, satanic, and destructive Democrats if it stimulates you, Fleet, but the point is we now have to worry about the things you describe in large part because of the atrocious foreign policy of the last 7 years. If the atrocious foreign policy has been under Republican rule, then live with it.

Then 7 years from now if we're fortunate enough to have someone NON-Republican (or Ron Paul) in the White House, you can bring up the past again. The only important thing is to begin repairing the damage as soon as possible from this administration.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:41 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
A truly patriotic American will speak up regarding the actions and policies of this great nation.

That's what freedom, and all the responsibilities that come with it, is all about.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by TnHilltopper

I would add further that this would included his policies as well."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That quote gets kind of old after awhile.
Besides, it doesn't apply in this case because many Republicans don't agree with Bush on all of his policies, myself included.
IT MUST ALWAYS APPLY! What kind of country would be we be living in when that quote goes out of style because people decide it doesn't apply? The President is only a servant of the public, not a king to whom we are servile.

If you don't mean your comment in the way I've interpreted it, please clarify. Otherwise, please explain how that attitude can be reconciled with Americanism.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:08 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Default Useful Fool.......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
Puh-lease. You actually believe this war was ever about "righting wrongs"... or bringing freedom to people who never knew it? God, I wish I could be that naive.... I'd be a lot happier of a person.

And it's amazing to me how any Vietnam vet could stand behind this "war" given the fact the people who started it weaseled thier way out of serving during Vietnam. Just on that alone, you would think you guys would hate these bastards for sending Americans in harms way when they themselves were obviously too spineless to fight 35-40 years ago.
You sir would not fight for anything....That is certain given your response.
Don't presume to know what a Viet Nam Vet feels...Who we should hate....
Don't tell me what I should feel....You serve only yourself..................
Spiritwalker

Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Default Freedom...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I respect everyone who wore the uniform. I wore the uniform, my father wore the uniform, my brothers wear the uniform and one recently came back from Iraq.
Of course troops that get put in harm's way want to think they are serving a good purpose. And in Iraq and Vietnam, I am sure there are many victories that our troops are involved in that are helping the lives of people that live over there.
That doesn't mean however that I am required to buy hook line and sinker the BS of this or any administration, or believe that the harm that has been done through this action - in terms of Amereican blood and treasure - and in terms of the repercussions it is causing and will cause for many years in the Islamic world - validates this invasion and occupation, because let's get down to it, that is what it is.
And I don't have to sell my intelligence and integrity to be forced to swallow the tripe that any military action by our country is for our Freedom. Well, no. It is for oil and global presence and a lot of other less noble sounding objectives.
Oil and Global presence=Freedom....Is it noble? Is it right? Probably not. BUT it is the current reality...Life is a dog fight. Always has been....Always will be.
What in the hell makes you think anyone or any administration will ever change that...Look at the history of the world.
Spiritwalker

Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Oil and Global presence=Freedom....Is it noble? Is it right? Probably not. BUT it is the current reality...Life is a dog fight. Always has been....Always will be.
What in the hell makes you think anyone or any administration will ever change that...Look at the history of the world.
Spiritwalker
Along with the rush for global economics comes the rush for all the various neighbors in the global community to protect their newfound wealth. What you and some other posters apparently favor is global war so that all the neighbors do things the way America decides they should be done. I don’t favor the idea of the global version of a home owner’s association even if it’s America making the decisions.

And as far as life’s “dog fights” go, someone let their rabid dogs loose in our yard and now we’re trampling over various neighbors’ yards supposedly hunting them, and we don’t seem to care what damage we do. It’s not good policy to be such a bad neighbor in the global sense. The “top dog” attitude won’t work any longer. The globalists wanted globalism and they’ve got it. Best to change tactics—now.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:05 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Oil and Global presence=Freedom

No. Oil and global presence = slavery.

Time to switch up the paradigm, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker
....Is it noble? Is it right? Probably not. BUT it is the current reality...Life is a dog fight. Always has been....Always will be.
Times are changing. Get with the program, or be left in the 20th century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker
Well, we can at least TRY, now that we know what kind of crap oil dependence gets us into. First step: A president who ISN'T an "oil man."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies