Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times

Advertisements

Let's say I am an employer and have $50,000 in unexpected profits.

I can give it to my minimum wage, working poor, employees as a bonus or I can give it to my wealthy investors as dividends.

When I give it to my workers instead on the investors did the investors lose out on potential income? Are they poorer because of my choice to reward my workers? The investors don't have as much as they could have had because someone else won and they lost.

So yes, when someone takes a bigger slice of a finite income pie, everyone else gets less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Exactly how does ones wealth have anything to do with another being poor?

If they are drawing income from a monopoly. Kind falls under the obvious category.

You think these guys earned it burning oil at midnight? I mean are you dumb or something?

How many companies has Oracle and Microsoft bought out? Buying up the competition has two components. One of them is a gain in efficiency, which can be legit but is frankly a good cover for something more sinister. The income that is derived from pricing power gained through the death of a competitor takes money from everyone else including the poor.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

I can give it to my minimum wage, working poor, employees as a bonus or I can give it to my wealthy investors as dividends.

When I give it to my workers instead on the investors did the investors lose out on potential income? Are they poorer because of my choice to reward my workers? The investors don't have as much as they could have had because someone else won and they lost.

So yes, when someone takes a bigger slice of a finite income pie, everyone else gets less.
Only in an example as weak as the one you put forth here. Out here in the real world, it resembles nothing of the sort.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

oh brother, your back with that dribble.. I note you didnt answer my question last asked to you, so let me ask you again.

During periods of recessions, where does the wealth go? According to you, wealth is a finite resource so it must go somewhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Because there can only be rich people is there are poor people. Just like there can only be poor people when there exist people who are richer than them. Simply fact.
Wrong.. Say you have a town of 100 people, 1 owns a factory, the other 99 work for that factory.

1 rich person, but the other 99 people arent poor.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Only in an example as weak as the one you put forth here. Out here in the real world, it resembles nothing of the sort.
Take on this one.

List of mergers and acquisitions by Microsoft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buying the competition is everywhere in the real world. I remember the groans when IBM bought out Informix because everyone knew IBM was boxing them in again.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Take on this one.

List of mergers and acquisitions by Microsoft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buying the competition is everywhere in the real world. I remember the groans when IBM bought out Informix because everyone knew IBM was boxing them in again.
Thats not an example because microsoft BOUGHT those companies thus making the owners of those companies wealthy.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats not an example because microsoft BOUGHT those companies thus making the owners of those companies wealthy.
You beat me to it.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

The thread was how does it make people poor. That make people poor because of Microsoft's market dominance where I saw them stifle competition right in front of my face. Was I hallucinating when they polluted the APIs on the Java IDE?

You obviously don't know much about the join us or die negotiating techniques as was discovered by Blue Mountain Arts or others that chose to resist. They were made as rich as was allowed under the threat of facing off against a monopoly.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Oh, boy. The "living wage" argument again. Wouldn't it be awesome if everyone earned $30 per hour and paid $19 for a Big Mac?!

Yipppeeee!!!!!
You think McDonald's couldn't pay $30/hr and not have to charge $19 for a Big Mac? Oh boy, the "if we pay workers more we have to pass the costs on to the consumer" argument again. Wouldn't it be awesome if corporations held their executives and their shareholders to reasonable levels of compensation and dividends? Maybe it would take them 5x as long to become billionaires but they would, eventually, and in the meantime everyone else could at least live a little better.

Hmmmmm

H

Old 02-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
You beat me to it.
To what? Not knowing anything about economics? Where is this fairy land of the pie always getting bigger? What economic model by *any* school of economics supports this ridiculous notion? Let me guess, another arm chair guy who economized on his education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies