Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 03:03 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Take on this one.

List of mergers and acquisitions by Microsoft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buying the competition is everywhere in the real world. I remember the groans when IBM bought out Informix because everyone knew IBM was boxing them in again.
I remember the bad old days, when we had so many versions of computer operating systems, that at times your video card would not work with your monitor, your video game, or your printer, unless you spent a week reconfiguring minute details for each process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 03:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
People "willing" to work for $5.00/hr, monopolistic practices being good, Obama not responsible for the auto bailouts (Bush is), poor people are poor because they don't go to school... conservative arguments. No actual defense possible so insults and put downs are the only way the conservative responds to counter-argument. The interested can look at what Wikipedia (conservatives hate Wikipedia and other factual sources of information) has to say about something called a GINI index.

H

Old 02-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Simplisitic and if that is in fact what was happneing this thread would not exist. What if you hire thugs to kidnap and transport workers to your factory where they are given only food and water but no actual wages. Are you making their lives better?

H
http://www.city-data.com/forum/22805106-post54.html

we will never get anywhere with the argument of "What if someone is getting rich by shooting everyone in the head and stealing their money?"

Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay.

What is the responsibility of the recipient class in this picture?

We top 10% pay 70% of the federal taxes.

The bottom 47% pay zero.

Perhaps the recipient class should take a cut (not a freeze, an actual cut).

Perhaps the 47% should start sending in checks?

If you're really a top 10% earner then you surely understand the simple economics that you cannot collect money from those who don't have it.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
which gets reloaned back out to society. What do you think banks do with the money?
They loan it to yet another bank and play a shell game with it.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
People "willing" to work for $5.00/hr, monopolistic practices being good, Obama not responsible for the auto bailouts (Bush is), poor people are poor because they don't go to school... conservative arguments. No actual defense possible so insults and put downs are the only way the conservative responds to counter-argument. The interested can look at what Wikipedia (conservatives hate Wikipedia and other factual sources of information) has to say about something called a GINI index.

H
Shhhh.... Obama has been taking credit for the auto bailouts.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM

475 posts, read 508,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
It doesn't. Being rich or poor, most of the time, has to do with ones actions. Whether it is something that you have done to make you rich/poor or something that your family has done. IMO the poor should be thanking the rich considering they are, usually, the ones who make jobs.
Completely agree with you.

Im from Argentina, i moved to the US in 2001. My father is a Senator back in Argentina, he bought us (to my brother and i) a house here in Los Angeles. We both go to college and dont have to work. Im dont want to brag about it but thank to my dad we have a lot money. That's one example. My father is rich because he works his ass off to give us the best but that doesnt mean because he is rich someone else is poor.
Poor people are poor becaue they want to be. That's how i see it.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:20 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I remember the bad old days, when we had so many versions of computer operating systems, that at times your video card would not work with your monitor, your video game, or your printer, unless you spent a week reconfiguring minute details for each process.

Then pay more for Apple. Apple, a closed hardware and software system was always available and never had this problem. Why did you buy the PC? I'll tell you why. Its because the open standard and ability of Compaq to clone it made it cheap. Lots of PC manufactures followed. DrDos and other put pressure on Microsoft even though they won with the vapor ware.

IBM made open hardware system due in no small part to the anti-trust threat hanging over their heads. You can also thank that for Microsoft as well since IBM didn't try the vertical monopoly.

If you like a nice one stop monopolistic shop my condolences on the collapse of the Soviets. Once size underwear for all.

Look I get it. The rich always make other people rich and competition is a sin. They are full of benevolence and always make the pie bigger. I get it really....something is in the water.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:20 PM

835 posts, read 1,041,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Completely agree with you.

Im from Argentina, i moved to the US in 2001. My father is a Senator back in Argentina, he bought us (to my brother and i) a house here in Los Angeles. We both go to college and dont have to work. Im dont want to brag about it but thank to my dad we have a lot money. That's one example. My father is rich because he works his ass off to give us the best but that doesnt mean because he is rich someone else is poor.
Poor people are poor becaue they want to be. That's how i see it.

So, poor people like starving and not being able to afford luxuries?

How many poor people have you known?

Old 02-01-2012, 03:33 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,205,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
which gets reloaned back out to society. What do you think banks do with the money?

If he sources the work from the neighboring towns, then he's distributing the money to the neighboring towns thus increasing their ability to obtain wealth as well. That doesnt mean the 1 guy is getting rich because others are getting poor, he's still employing 99 people.
Yep, the wealthy bankers loan it alright. They loan it to the poor who are forced to pay the wealthy interest for the pleasure of using that loaned money.

You feel that is a fair Exchange, the wealthy take income at a discounted tax rate and loan it to the working poor at a premium???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies