Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
But, does that mean they will be happy eating sardines, while you dine on lobster, shrimp,and stake?

Don't people complain when the poor try to get foodstamps?
It doesn't take much to feed oneself and ones family.

The problem is laziness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 PM

835 posts, read 1,041,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It doesn't take much to feed oneself and ones family.

The problem is laziness.

It doesn't? How many poor people do you know?

I doubt any......

We all aren't born with money. People actually work hard and still don't make enough.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:21 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
And I suppose you reason if there were no rich people around to employee the poor, they would no longer be poor? One person doesn't have to work for what another person is willing to pay him, unless he wants to. No one forces him to accept a job. People are poor because they don't educate themselves or they don't take the initiative to work just a bit harder than the next guy. There are jobs that people won't take because they don't think a particular job pays enough to meet their skill level, when in fact they have no skills.
Skills and education take money and time something many poor people do not have. Go on blaming the poor though it is easier to sit on your high throne looking down on others and assuming if they are not doing as well as you it is their fault! You can be the hardest worker in the world does not mean that you will necessarily get any where.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
It doesn't? How many poor people do you know?

I doubt any......

We all aren't born with money. People actually work hard and still don't make enough.
I doubt any since all he does is makes poor hating assumptions not based on facts.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheaties View Post
What says that people have lost value in their houses?
It says that market prices have gone down, but if wealth is a finite asset, that loss of wealth must go somewhere.. Where did it go?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
But, does that mean they will be happy eating sardines, while you dine on lobster, shrimp,and stake?

Don't people complain when the poor try to get foodstamps?
Who's discussing happiness? We're discussing facts. And what makes you say the only thing to eat will be sardines?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:54 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Thumbs down lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But the market didnt say the prices were inflated, or people wouldnt have been buying homes.

Interesting.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Interesting.
And?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Their hard work may have made it possible, but if the employer wouldn't have given them a job, they would have nothing. It's evident to me that you have never been an employer and can't comprehend the concept of running a business that hires workers and is successful. I never said I was smart, but I suspect my life has been happier and more carefree than the lives of many people like yourself who think they are owed a living.
I have run several businesses beginning in the 1970's. Before that, I did two paper routes before I was a teen, later I picked up more routes and began subbing them out. So yes, I was employing other kids in my teens. See, I needed others to do my routes so I could caddy up at the country club. By 15 or so, I did a morning route, caddied a round and did an evening route. I had various kids doing three other routes. Bookkeeping five or six paper routes was a job in itself before computer or even my own calculator.

I won a union carpenter apprenticeship at 19 and was sub contracting jobs within months. I built a business that built dozens of homes, and countless other projects.

I've hired and fired dozens over that time. I'm retired now, retired before I was 55 and live off the wealth I accumulated. Getting the most out of someone involves knowing them well.

For me, the years of carrying those bags wore me out. I'd rather sit on a beach and relax now, some might view me today and think, 'lazy bum' but my Fidelity account would differ. FYI, the first million can be extremely difficult for anyone, but each one after is progressively easier.

Unlike you, I did employ people, and even worked along side of them. Because I worked with my employees, I understood them.

And unlike you I didn't sit on my hands and wait for some to hire me, I made my own way. If things were bad I was improving the house I lived in, ended up reworking 7 houses as i lived it them before I built this house 19 years ago...

Last edited by buzzards27; 02-02-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Lightbulb hmm....

Quote:
American business history is packed with stories of company builders, from Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Sam Walton to Sam Adams beer brewer Jim Koch, who got key early funding from their homes.

Nearly one in three small-business owners has borrowed against the equity in his or her home, or used the home as collateral for a loan to fund the business, according to a 2009 survey conducted by Gallup for the National Federation of Independent Business.
Quote:
Without the ability to borrow against their home, thousands of potential entrepreneurs will sit out the recovery. Most don't have enough cash flow to get a traditional business loan from a bank.

A recent study from Pepperdine University showed that 64% of start-ups were turned down by banks when seeking loans.
Source

The solution to job creation, helping the poor and reviving the Nation's entrepreneurship lies in understanding the many facets of the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies