Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
Conservatives dont understand the basic laws of economics. There is finite amount of resources and infinite amount of people. .

That is blatantly false. Resources are more than just water, oil and gold. There are many times as many resources in the world today than 100 years ago. There has been an astronomical growth of resources in the past century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
Conservatives dont understand the basic laws of economics. There is finite amount of resources and infinite amount of people. Money is the currency we use to measure the economic utilization of said resources. There will always be people who are more talented, or have better luck than others.

Example look at North Dakota there is shale oil boom. People are moving there
for high paying jobs. The results is the price of rent is going up, so if you were paying
1000.00 a month for rent and rent goes up 60%. you just became 60% poorer,because
your income does not get you as far as you did six months prior to the oil boom.

lets take a look at china, plant owner closest american plant opens up in china
american workers loose income, lets 4 million dollars worth. plant owners pass those
savings onto share holders. Those chinese workers buy cars and gasoline, driving up the price
of gasoline, now the american worker is poorer because he saw his income decline and also the price
of commoditys rise as a result of new workers overseas.
Yes, there are people that are more talented and smarter. I will agree there. Conservative people think these people deserve to make more and have more, just because they make it. The problem is that liberals don't think that should matter and the smarter more talented person shouldn't make more than someone with no talent, brains or ambition. I think what someone has to offer and what they do with it should matter.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That is blatantly false. Resources are more than just water, oil and gold. There are many times as many resources in the world today than 100 years ago. There has been an astronomical growth of resources in the past century.

All that is needed is a difference for the productively of a resource to start distorting markets, not its total depletion, but then I didn't just roll out of bed and have an opinion.

Go on a tour bus in San Fransisco and take note to build something, something must be torn down. What this means is space has value and that ground rent has arrived. Its free wealth. I don't begrudge anyone's good luck. What I don't understand is why preferential tax treatment should be given to spur more motivation to be on the receiving end of good luck? Why do people call these profits essential for innovation when all they are is an access charge?

The law of rents by Ricardo has been around for hundreds of years. It means one person has an advantage over the other from possession of a natural asset. When ever there is a resource differential, rent appears.

Have a look at a classic battle over free wealth because of an inherent name space monopoly. If it increases in value, its "rent" by the classic definition of unearned income. So what is innovative about squatting on a chunk of the English language? Got me? I have no clue. Why would asset profit be taxed at a low rate?

Sex.com case turning dirty - CNET News

Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,737 times
Default Are the poor poor becuase the rich are rich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Not just that. But when the little man made his earning he immediately turned them all over, with interest, to the capture effectively hand feeding the fat man all of his current and future earnings. Willingly.
Thank you for your comment. If I were a real idiot, I would now ask you to define 'willingly"... But, I'll figure it out.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
As long as you have a capitalist society, there will be poor people. I
Actually, as long as you have any society there will be poor people. Always has been and always will be.

Every economic and government structure has winners and losers. The only difference is how the winners are selected.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
But, does that mean they will be happy eating sardines, while you dine on lobster, shrimp,and stake?

Don't people complain when the poor try to get foodstamps?
If people complain it is because they are providing the food stamps, but they have no say so in who gets those food stamps. Many people get food stamps that don't deserve them. The program might have been a good idea when it first started out, but fraud has ruined it.

Now days you have to take a pi$$ test to keep your job and earn a living. Then the government takes part of your money and gives it away in the form of food stamps, but the government doesn't make the people that get food stamps take a pi$$ test before they are given a free hand out.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Skills and education take money and time something many poor people do not have. Go on blaming the poor though it is easier to sit on your high throne looking down on others and assuming if they are not doing as well as you it is their fault! You can be the hardest worker in the world does not mean that you will necessarily get any where.
The last time I checked we all have 24 hours in a day. Poor people have the same amount of time to do what they are going to do as anyone else. The difference is in what they do with their time. Whose fault can it possibly be if poor people remain poor simply because they do not have the desire to do what is necessary to achieve more? In your mind you could blame it on the weather, or the clouds in the sky, or the wind that blows, it would make as much sense as trying to blame it on someone other than the person himself that is not willing to get ahead. You might be the hardest worker but if you are dumb as a post you still will not get ahead because you will not make the best use of what you have. Is this beginning to sound familiar to you?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:50 PM

835 posts, read 1,041,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
If people complain it is because they are providing the food stamps, but they have no say so in who gets those food stamps. Many people get food stamps that don't deserve them. The program might have been a good idea when it first started out, but fraud has ruined it.

Now days you have to take a pi$$ test to keep your job and earn a living. Then the government takes part of your money and gives it away in the form of food stamps, but the government doesn't make the people that get food stamps take a pi$$ test before they are given a free hand out.

You are angry because you have to take a **** test when you work?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I have run several businesses beginning in the 1970's. Before that, I did two paper routes before I was a teen, later I picked up more routes and began subbing them out. So yes, I was employing other kids in my teens. See, I needed others to do my routes so I could caddy up at the country club. By 15 or so, I did a morning route, caddied a round and did an evening route. I had various kids doing three other routes. Bookkeeping five or six paper routes was a job in itself before computer or even my own calculator.

I won a union carpenter apprenticeship at 19 and was sub contracting jobs within months. I built a business that built dozens of homes, and countless other projects.

I've hired and fired dozens over that time. I'm retired now, retired before I was 55 and live off the wealth I accumulated. Getting the most out of someone involves knowing them well.

For me, the years of carrying those bags wore me out. I'd rather sit on a beach and relax now, some might view me today and think, 'lazy bum' but my Fidelity account would differ. FYI, the first million can be extremely difficult for anyone, but each one after is progressively easier.

Unlike you, I did employ people, and even worked along side of them. Because I worked with my employees, I understood them.

And unlike you I didn't sit on my hands and wait for some to hire me, I made my own way. If things were bad I was improving the house I lived in, ended up reworking 7 houses as i lived it them before I built this house 19 years ago...

If only you would have mentioned the UNION sooner, we all would understand how you think, or don't. For your information, I also had employees and worked along side of them. I too am now retired. But I still think it is up to an individual to make his own life, and live off what he earns, and if he doesn't have the desire to make a living it's his fault, not some rich guy that doesn't even know him.

The only way a rich man can make a poor man more poor is to give him everything he wants so he won't want to provide for himself. That is happening in the world today.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:10 PM

Default You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I think I know enough lower income people to tell you that alphamale is right when he says it doesn't take much to feed a family. That is true if you do it right. If you exclude McDonalds and eating out, buy economically, and actually cook your own meals and don't buy premade, it is more than possible. I know because I have been low income before and done it. And I did it without food stamps or food banks, free lunches and any of that. Those that I know that claim to be struggling don't want to do this. It is about choices.

I agree! It is all about the choices we make in life. Choices that we have to live with. Why is it that during high school, student A works after school, but still maintains good grades and student B goes home after school and plays video games on his computer until bedtime, he doesn't do his homework, and doesn't get good grades, but he is very good at playing computer games. Which is the most likely to continue on with his education? Which is more likely to have the money to pay for part of his education? Which is the most likely to get a job after they graduate, and become gainfully employed? Who's fault is it that student B doesn't fare as well as student A. I'm sure some of you will say it's the teachers fault, there are even a few of you who will say it's his neighbor's fault, still some other's will think it's the rich man's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies