Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:18 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
It's hard to answer this question because the middle class is shrinking like a apricot left out in the sun. I'm sure why the OP feels like the right is supporting the middle class because this certainly is not true. I'm not saying that the left is but given a choice the left represents the middle class alot more than the right.
I have to diagree that the left represents the middle class more then the right. I think we have such a wide array of what we consider the middle class that it is hard to say one side supports them more then the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
So millionaires are middle class? Is that you Mitt?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:28 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Liberals seem to constantly attack successful people, and folks who work hard to earn a living.

Even though workers pay their taxes, the left still thinks they should pay more and more and more to subsidize social welfare programs.

I wish liberals would end their war on successful, taxpaying, middle class people. They are NOT the problem.
Where do you get this stuff?

I was 23rd in my class, thankyouverymuch.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:56 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Is the OP one of those right wing nuts who thinks 350,000 a year is middle class?

Every single safety net for the middle class (unemployment insurance, social security, public schools, public parks, mortgage interest deduction, union bargaining, child labor laws) has been opposed by the Reps and supported by the Dems. So I have no idea why any middle class person would think the Reps are on their side economically.

They're about to nominate a man who describes the 385k he made last year as pocket change.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I have to diagree that the left represents the middle class more then the right. I think we have such a wide array of what we consider the middle class that it is hard to say one side supports them more then the other.
Anyone can claim to be middle class.

Growing up, my Dad used to call us "middle class" despite the fact that he owned his own business and paid himself 4000 a week. This was in 1990, mind you.

Guess which party my "middle class" dad is a staunch supporter of? Hint: It isn't the party of FDR.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
I wish liberals would end their war on successful, taxpaying, middle class people.
And I wish that certain conservatives would stop saying stupid things. But I know that's highly unlikely.

Trust me: The average American sees through nonsense like this. There is no "war" on successful middle-class people. Only the most fringe right-wingers could imagine such a thing.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Is the OP one of those right wing nuts who thinks 350,000 a year is middle class?

Every single safety net for the middle class (unemployment insurance, social security, public schools, public parks, mortgage interest deduction, union bargaining, child labor laws) has been opposed by the Reps and supported by the Dems. So I have no idea why any middle class person would think the Reps are on their side economically.

They're about to nominate a man who describes the 385k he made last year as pocket change.

They are not against these things, they want us to be able to PAY for them. There is a difference. I have no problem with any of them with the exception of unions, they suck and should be disbanded immediately. The child labor I won't even touch because that is just ridiculous. They rest are fine so long as they can be paid for. The dems problem is they want to hand out other peoples money but at some point you run out of other peoples money and the cuts need to happen. That is not being against something that is called being responsible.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Liberals seem to constantly attack successful people, and folks who work hard to earn a living.

Even though workers pay their taxes, the left still thinks they should pay more and more and more to subsidize social welfare programs.

I wish liberals would end their war on successful, taxpaying, middle class people. They are NOT the problem.
Your definition of middle class is people making over 250,000 a year?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Anyone can claim to be middle class.

Growing up, my Dad used to call us "middle class" despite the fact that he owned his own business and paid himself 4000 a week. This was in 1990, mind you.

Guess which party my "middle class" dad is a staunch supporter of? Hint: It isn't the party of FDR.
As I said the middle class is to broad a spectrum for any group to take claim of. Dems want to take money from those that have it and give it to those that don't, the problem with this is eventually you are going to run out of people to take it from. It is way better to teach people to take care of themselves then hand them things that they did not earn. One huge issue we have in American is the fact that we do not take care of our own families. Like Chinese and Indians once the children are grown they take care of the parents, Americans don't do this. Indians and Chinese with will live with other family members so that the adults can work and help the entire family, Americans don't do this. We let our parents, brother, sisters, etc fend for themselves and don't pull together as a family and help each other out. So there is a drain on the system because some can not or won't work.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:21 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Your definition of middle class is people making over 250,000 a year?
I get your point but I think this thread and our entire nation need to be reminded that making 250K in the cheapest states and making that same amount in Hawaii, (and a few others, of course) THE most expensive one is a huge difference in wealth, or the lack of it.

I know because I lived on a 6 figure income in Hawaii for many years. I homeschooled our daughters because we could not afford private school for both of them at the same time, and keep our same style of living which was not ridiculously comfy. (Had we lived in our home state of Texas on the same income, life would have been much easier)

Folks that make 250K in Hawaii are absolutely middle class, there. Upper middle? sure...but middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies