Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:18 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Seriously. Some people blow stuff way out of proportion.

I hope this wasn't directed at me, if so, I believe you misunderstood me! I love your posts & if I could give you 100 rep points, I would. But, alas, I am on time out for 24 hours... but you are definitely on my list!

Thank you for all your posts on this thread!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Its hard to deal with different cultural norms. I had arguments with women in Mexico and Puerto Rico because I consider "gringo" una palabra mala and they just thought it a generic term. The problem we don't recognize is that in many Latino countries there are skin gradiations from rubio all the way down to negro. No one wants to be termed a different color than he or she is. Beyonce may consider herself a black woman as does Mariah Carey but they would not be called "negro" in Latin America.

What I did find odd was that in Puerto Rico, which has a significant black minority, all the models in the fashion ads are white! Brazil considers itself a mixed-race nirvana but the highest black man they have ever had in their government is the ex-soccer star Pele. Maybe the civil rights struggle in the US did have some positive effect on our perceptions of inclusiveness.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:32 PM

305 posts, read 805,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I know of a company that has a facility here, and their racial AND gender percentages have to match the census figures for the immediate area (zip code). Since the area is mainly blacks, the company HAS to hire more blacks (even though there might be more qualified white or asian or european applicants).

Over 3/4 of the applicants are white, and most of the black applicants who apply have to be hired to maintain their percentages. If they do not attempt to maintain this, the facility can be shut down.

I'm not going to name this specific company. T'was a promise I made when I interviewed many of the local adminstration of said company. No, I wasn't an applicant that didn't get hired, but rather found out, by chance and wanted to do my English Thesis on it.
Quote:
As for colleges, a lot of colleges (in order to get extra money from the govt) maintain a certain percentage of minorities. Studies have shown that minorities in general, for any number of reasons, tend to get lower scores on standardized tests. These racial quotas were put in place so that more minorities could get in despite lower scores.

Personally, everybody is discriminated against for any number of reasons. But I, personally, don't see how any race has it better or worse than any others. If you as an individual do not see yourself as successful, then take a look at what you are doing and what you've done with your life. Because, more often than not, the lack of "success" (however you like to measure it) is because of an individual flaw, rather than a society flaw.
Quote:
I know of a company that has a facility here, and their racial AND gender percentages have to match the census figures for the immediate area (zip code). Since the area is mainly blacks, the company HAS to hire more blacks (even though there might be more qualified white or asian or european applicants).
What else do you expect to happen?

Studies have shown that minorities in general, for any number of reasons, tend to get lower scores on standardized tests.
You've ever lived in a minority filled area? You see the difference between a primarily white area and a minority filled area right? Big difference.... how do you expect blacks to score when usually they have much worse living conditions? Last time I checked I never see a liquor store at the corner of the suburbs...... what you expect? Blacks to be scholars when everything around them is negative... do you know how hard "hip-hop music" is pushed by the mainstream even though it's usually the "whites" that buy the music, it's the "blacks" that are usually effected by in way worse.

Quote:
But I, personally, don't see how any race has it better or worse than any others.
If you think "whites" have it any sorta "strain" or "stress" to go through in America then I don't know what to tell ya... sorry... this country is handed to the "white man" on a platter, it's up to them as to how far they want to take it. Even with the extreme growth with other races in American that has taken place, it's doesn't affect the whites nearly as much as other races, granted, more jobs are being made available to other races and that's good but the salary and skill set is greatly declining... whites are still in the office calling the shots, blacks and Latinos are still sweating on the docks for crappy pay

Quote:
If you as an individual do not see yourself as successful, then take a look at what you are doing and what you've done with your life. Because, more often than not, the lack of "success" (however you like to measure it) is because of an individual flaw, rather than a society flaw.
While I do agree with the "hard work" speech I will like to say that NO race in America will ever have it as hard as Black people trying to make anything of themselves... we're the lowest form of life according to America standards, I'd go as far as to say worldwide.

Hard work is a good thing but blacks will have to work 5 to 10 times as hard to match the success of whites in America period.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:37 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post

I hope this wasn't directed at me, if so, I believe you misunderstood me! I love your posts & if I could give you 100 rep points, I would. But, alas, I am on time out for 24 hours... but you are definitely on my list!

Thank you for all your posts on this thread!

I certainly wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the poster who said that voting Democrat would lead to the white people being made slaves. That was just a TEEEEEEEENSY bit ridiculous. You're in my cool book, think.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
I can't speak to the other terms, but these ARE considered/intended as derogatory & offensive. I know a great deal of people who are Mexican & haven't ever heard any of them say any differently. A dear friend of mine is MORTIFIED when her elderly father uses these terms in regard to her "Black" friends!
Well I can only talk to my own (extensive) experience in Mexico. "Negro" in Spanish equals "Black" in English. I know many people that use the term that are not in any way being racist. I do caution Mexicans speaking Spanish in the U.S. to say "moreno" instead of "negro" because any U.S. Blacks hearing that could get upset.

Maybe Mexicans up here are getting some of the PC willies and are not sure what is appropriate or not anymore. I could relate to that.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:55 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
If you think "whites" have it any sorta "strain" or "stress" to go through in America then I don't know what to tell ya... sorry... this country is handed to the "white man" on a platter, it's up to them as to how far they want to take it. Even with the extreme growth with other races in American that has taken place, it's doesn't affect the whites nearly as much as other races, granted, more jobs are being made available to other races and that's good but the salary and skill set is greatly declining... whites are still in the office calling the shots, blacks and Latinos are still sweating on the docks for crappy pay
This is laughable, thanks for cracking me up.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour
You've ever lived in a minority filled area?
Oh yes. Very much so! But what are we talking about here? "Boojy" black suburbs, or the ghetto? I live on the gentrified doorstep of West Palm Beach's ghetto.

Have you ever lived in or been to a "poor white" area? I have. Liquor stores and pawn shops abound there as well.

Quote:
Blacks to be scholars when everything around them is negative...
Of course not. Anyone in a social-economically disadvantaged position has to work three times as hard as others. BUT, do you not deny the "anti-intellectual" and "anti-education" culture that pervades the ghetto especially, and "lower class" areas in particular?

I grew up really poor, but I do come from a family that valued education. Going to college was never a "maybe" proposition. We couldn't afford it, but there was scholarships and pell grants that covered it all. The summer between highschool and college I worked as a shipping clerk in a warehouse full of blue collar white men who found it funny to rib on me because I didn't really relate to that whole situation. "I wasn't like them." I was only there temporarily, on my way to college, while that is what they did for their living. I think they resented that, as I was teased by them, and had to listen to backhanded comments about my ambitions. Of course, I didn't listen to them, and didn't let it affect me, but in the end, the cultural environment you grow up in will be incredibly more indiciative of "how far you go" than your race.

Poverty loves company, and trying to break free of that, to some, means you are betraying your "history" or "background." Pride in your station in life is necessary for happiness, but too many on the lower rungs want to keep others there with them. Unless the change happens FUNDAMENTALLY at the bottom FIRST, we can never expect change at the top.

Quote:
blacks and Latinos are still sweating on the docks for crappy pay
"Latinos," while nevertheless not a race, are taking their "bottom of the rung" position just as any and all immigrant groups before them. That's why even if I were to support race-based affirmative action (which I do not. I only support colorblind socioeconomic affirmative action), I would NOT include "Latinos" in the group eligible for affirmative action, and would use it only for blacks. "Latinos," save about 9% of Mexicans, are a recent immigrant group. What will keep "Latinos" from advancing is their own insistence on un-assimiliation, and illegal labor depressing wages. My father, before becoming disabled from his job, worked construction for $8/hr. back in 1989-1990 here in South Florida. That's pretty much not far off of the going rate for construction jobs still TODAY, isn't it? I wonder why that is? Hmmm....

Quote:
do you know how hard "hip-hop music" is pushed by the mainstream even though it's usually the "whites" that buy the music, it's the "blacks" that are usually effected by in way worse.
I think you're stretching there. The "mainstream" isn't "pushing" hip hop like some kind of drug! White kids would STILL buy hip hop even WITHOUT the ghetto/exploitation of women/drug and violence lyrics. THAT'S a hip-hop artist thing. Will Smith vs. DMX. That's because white kids listen to it because it "sounds" good... they don't tend to normally "relate" to the ghetto imagery!

Quote:
I will like to say that NO race in America will ever have it as hard as Black people trying to make anything of themselves...
I agree with that.

Quote:
Hard work is a good thing but blacks will have to work 5 to 10 times as hard to match the success of whites in America period.
How hard any particular black person will have to work will depend first on their cultural similarity to the prevailing business culture. An ability to speak proper English and carry oneself appropriately (a friend of mine hires for a retail chain, and he says you won't believe the way some people come in - "grills," pants sagging, the works) is paramount. The ghetto and "poor white" culture does not prepare young people properly for success outside of blue collar and manual labor. The "articulate black man," while usually an ignorant racist thing to say, is going to go further.

Even I have a long way to go to smooth my "rough edges." I was chastised for etiquette at a casual lunch with my boss and potential clients recently. I didn't offer to bring something, didn't put my fork the correct way on the plate or something.... he flat out told me, "These people WILL judge you, and will write you off if they think you aren't up to par."

The "white and powerful" will surround themselves with people like them, who know the right things to do and say, who have the connections and contacts. Other whites will of course have a larger "cultural cache" to draw from to enter that world, but if you think that white skin will automatically open your life to "limitless possibilities" in this country, you are gravenly mistaken.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
whites are still in the office calling the shots, blacks and Latinos are still sweating on the docks for crappy pay

As a one-time merchant seaman, and an in-law of quite a number of "latino" longshoremen, this entry caught my eye. Don't know where your nearest port facility is, but here it's the Port of Long Beach/ Los Angeles.

The port offices are staffed by a variety of races, not many of whom are actually "calling the shots".

Meanwhile, out in the port area, the intermodal containers are transferred from ship to rail by means of huge cranes equipped with air-conditioned cabs, a large number of which are operated by Mexican-Americans, most of whose fathers were also longshoremen. These folks make in the neighborhood of 80 to 90 K per year.

It's true that here in Southern California, we are blessed with a moderate climate and we are spared the enervating humidity of Mobile or New Orleans; and it's also true that this area has a relatively high cost of living. Still, I'm forced to wonder exactly where it is that "Latinos are sweating on the docks for crappy pay?" The port of Veracruz, or Mazatlan, perhaps? So far, those ports are in a different country---(this may change, I realize).

Last time I checked, owning a motorhome and a cabin at Big Bear Lake wasn't the sign of working a 30-hour week for "crappy pay".....but perhaps I'm missing something.....

Old 09-12-2007, 09:31 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
I can't speak for 8.00 an hour, but when I worked in a warehouse, we called loading docks 'the docks'. He might not be talking about docks down on the water.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
You've ever lived in a minority filled area? You see the difference between a primarily white area and a minority filled area right?
Actually yes, I have lived in a minority filled area. In fact, it was absolutely gorgeous. Oh wait, are you trying to insinuate that an area filled with minorities is by definition a ghetto?

Quote:
Big difference.... how do you expect blacks to score when usually they have much worse living conditions? Last time I checked I never see a liquor store at the corner of the suburbs......
Don't know what you consider suburbs, but the only stores I can think of around here that sell liquor or rum by the bottle are the state-run ABC stores. And I can name off 4 locations within 5 minutes from my home. If you're talking about the shady convenience shops that also sell "adult videos" and other "adult" stuff along with "water pipes," there's actually...... quite a few even in the "awesome areas" that are mainly white.

Quote:
what you expect? Blacks to be scholars when everything around them is negative...
Is everything negative because they're black or because of ignorance?

Quote:
do you know how hard "hip-hop music" is pushed by the mainstream even though it's usually the "whites" that buy the music, it's the "blacks" that are usually effected by in way worse.
I'm actually disgusted by the lyrics of songs that I've heard *through the windows of other cars* and therefore would never buy or listen to that nonsense. And just because something is "mainstream," do you have to listen to it?

Quote:
If you think "whites" have it any sorta "strain" or "stress" to go through in America then I don't know what to tell ya...
Actually, I know the strain and stress of trying to be young and self-sufficient. Many times over I've been told that I should just take it easy and go to college while mooching off my father or mother.

Quote:
sorry... this country is handed to the "white man" on a platter,
Ignorance and arrogance are as color blind as a dog.

Quote:
it's up to them as to how far they want to take it.
It's up to everybody.

Quote:
Even with the extreme growth with other races in American that has taken place, it's doesn't affect the whites nearly as much as other races, granted, more jobs are being made available to other races and that's good but the salary and skill set is greatly declining...
It's called a free market society. Why hire person A for $50K when you can hire person B for $35K?

Quote:
whites are still in the office calling the shots, blacks and Latinos are still sweating on the docks for crappy pay
I know plenty of people of non-white color that are in charge... and have been in charge. As for working on the docks reference. Have you personally worked on a dock? There's shipyards here that hire just about anybody.. and starting pay is somewhere around $45K (I've applied there myself when I was in better shape)

Quote:
While I do agree with the "hard work" speech I will like to say that NO race in America will ever have it as hard as Black people trying to make anything of themselves... we're the lowest form of life according to America standards, I'd go as far as to say worldwide.
And you will continue to be the "lowest form of life" as long as you keep telling yourself that. As long as you have the mentality that the world is against you, you're not going to go far.

Quote:
And that is exactly what hard work is. And, btw, working extra hard to meet the same end results as somebody - to me, that's rewarding. To know that my hard work and effort actually paid off.

In fact, at my current job, which allows me, at 20, to earn enough to purchase a house (which average $250K+ around here) I started out as a temp worker and "busted my hump" to actually be made a regular employee with benefits.. and now I'm up for a promotion which will add about $15-20K a year to my pay. And it's not because I'm white. It's because I've worked extremely hard to prove myself as a hard worker and initiative-taking person.

((And btw, I've still never stepped foot in college.))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies