Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,478,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Children enter into contracts all the time. How do you think they make movies?
Child actors don't enter into contracts on their own - they have guardians or parents who sign the contracts on their behalf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM

281 posts, read 256,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
This laddie does not know his history.

In America where the union of 1 man and 1 woman is common, it is also common to have serial polygamy, that is, men and women commonly have more than one spouse, serially. A practice condemned by the bible and that condemnation ignored by those who claim the bible as their "book of rules"

And of course there are today people who identify themselves as Mormons who practice polygamy. As polygamy was permitted under Mormonism until Utah had to end it in order to join the Union as a state.

Anyone who thinks

simply does not know history.
Perhaps I should have modified my statement limiting it to Contemporary America. I kind of though that would be understood, but I suppose some people will go to any extreme to score what they consider to be "points"

Using the words "common" and "polygamy" together shreds one's credibility. Congratulations Mr. Ribbons.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,213,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Child actors don't enter into contracts on their own - they have guardians or parents who sign the contracts on their behalf.
And? So if I sign a contract saying my daughter who is 9, can marry a 30 year old man, yoyou cant honestly tell me thats ok, right?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,478,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And? So if I sign a contract saying my daughter who is 9, can marry a 30 year old man, yoyou cant honestly tell me thats ok, right?
Huh? Are you talking about the entertainment industry?

Marriage laws have a minimum age and that's governed by state's laws.

If the earliest age your child can marry in the state you reside in is 14, and you're trying to marry them off at age 9 ... "Houston, you have a problem".

Old 02-07-2012, 12:53 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,145,735 times
Marriage has always been between men and women. It’s less about Fundamentalist Christians and more about fundamentalist homosexuals. There is a big push going on to change the customs that is currently in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Your use of the word "circus" is a sure sign of contempt for an institution entrusted with a sacred duty that is suppossed to be above politics. If you don't like America, you can leave...

Marriage doesn't necessarily mean "one man and one woman", that is only true if your are a conservative fundamentalist Christian. And many Americans aren't. So why should they get to decide what marriage means?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,706,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
Perhaps I should have modified my statement limiting it to Contemporary America. I kind of though that would be understood, but I suppose some people will go to any extreme to score what they consider to be "points"

Using the words "common" and "polygamy" together shreds one's credibility. Congratulations Mr. Ribbons.
You would still be wrong, just ask the polygamous in the Arizona strip.

There are an estimated 40,000 polygamist in Utah that would argue with you, there are polygamist communities in the following towns:

Pringle, South Dakota
Centennial Park, Arizona
Colorado City, Arizona
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Rexburg, Idaho
Lovell, Wyoming
Pinesdale, Montana
Mancos, Colorado
Davis County, Utah
Salt Lake County, Utah
Tooele County, Utah
Utah County, Utah
Motaqua, Utah
Cedar City, Utah
Hanna, Utah
Hildale, Utah
Manti, Utah
Rocky Ridge, Utah
Sanpete Valley, Utah
Modena, Nevada
Eldorado, Texas
Preston, Nevada
Lund, Nevada

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-07-2012 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: don't be rude

Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Through their parents or guardian, with assets held by the guardian, or in trust.
Thats exactly right, directly disputing the fact that if one can sign a contract, then they should be able to get married. That was the discussion that started this, and since children CAN sign contracts, then clearly that means children should be allowed to get married, right?
Quote:
What's the argument why you shouldn't be allowed to marry your mother?
Society deems it wrong. Do you now think people should be allowed to marry their parents?
Quote:
Don't you think non-governmental pressure, as opposed to governmental laws against incest, is what keeps incestuous marriages from being commonplace? Isn't that the way it should be? What business do YOU, or the government, have in what your neighbor does in his bedroom or personal life?
So now it should be socially acceptable that I screw my parents? My god, its funny to see liberals who demand everyone buy health insurance, now argue that anything should go.
Quote:
What is the standard for parameters? How about if you can't find a compelling, independent reason for a restriction (other than, "it opens the door for something else, unrelated"), then you let it be?
But who decides what is compelling?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,271,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Excellent news. I'm sure the US Supreme Court will weigh in on this however, so I am tempering my enthusiasm.
I understand the judges defined the ruling very narrowly so that the U.S. Supreme Court has the option to sidestep the larger issue of whether or not denying gay marriage conflicts with the U.S. Constitution.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Huh? Are you talking about the entertainment industry?.
If the argument is that one is able to enter into a contract, thus they should be able to get married, then yes, all industries are open to discussion since in all industries, contracts exist.
Quote:
Marriage laws have a minimum age and that's governed by state's laws.
But states also govern other standards, like 1 male, 1 female, so why is age any different than male/female? Why should states determine age, but not gender requirements?
Quote:
If the earliest age your child can marry in the state you reside in is 14, and you're trying to marry them off at age 9 ... "Houston, you have a problem".
If you are a male, and trying to marry a male, "Houston, you have a problem:, would also be an appropriate response, would it not?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:00 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,768,884 times
This is exactly what the homosexualists want. If they can get SCOTUS to uphold Prop 8 and its provisions then they will have a rally cry for a new referendum to overturn Prop 8 by a vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies