Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 04:17 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times

Advertisements

http://hnn.us/articles/38958.html (broken link)

Quote:
CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTALISM made its move into twentieth century American politics at just about the same time as Ronald Reagan left the governorship of California in 1975. The Reverend Jerry Falwell, warning the country that"Satan had mobilized his forces to destroy America," mobilized older conservatives called the Moral Majority to rescue the country from spiritual jeopardy. In 1988, the Reverend Pat Robertson set up the Christian Coalition.
I don't think tasking Satan in charge of a nations morality is a very good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
History News Network (http://hnn.us/articles/38958.html - broken link)

I don't think tasking Satan in charge of a nations morality is a very good idea.
Actually, Christian "fundamentalism" (as it is called today) is what was prevalent in colonial America. Calvinism was dominant among the colonies.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:51 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Wow, Reagan was am actual physical tool of Satan?

This reads like far loony spiritual warfare, which even other Christians think is completely nuts.

Hummm, what is "spiritual warfare" by another name? Oh yeah, a Jihad.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Rev. RANDALL BALMER: And you'll find Reagan late in his administration trying to put some distance between himself and Falwell, and some of the other leaders of the religious right, because some of the things that they had done didn't look very good in the eyes of many Americans.
NARRATOR: And many evangelicals felt let down by President Reagan, believing he had never used his full political clout to push their social agenda.
Rev. RICHARD CIZIK: Ronald Reagan knew how to please evangelicals without giving them anything in return. Major constitutional amendments went nowhere. And the White House gave lip service to these. I know. I heard the lip service all the time. But not really. They wouldn't spend the president's capital to go to Capitol Hill and lobby legislators on behalf of these ideas, not really.
Rev. ED DOBSON: What did Reagan do for us in eight years of office? He gave us credibility, and he ultimately did nothing in terms of our long-term agendas.
NARRATOR: In the wake of the Reagan years, Jerry Falwell would disband the Moral Majority.
Rev. JERRY FALWELL: I will not be stumping for candidates again. I will never work for a candidate as I did for Ronald Reagan. I am now rededicating my life to the preaching of the Gospel.
NARRATOR: The torch of evangelical political engagement was picked up by Pat Robertson. His Christian Coalition took a different course, focusing not on presidential politics but on organizing evangelicals at the grass roots level. Robertson installed Ralph Reed, a young political operative, to lead the effort.
Rev. RANDALL BALMER: Reed's approach to political activism, unlike that of Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority, was to work from the level of school board elections, the so-called stealth candidates who would be typically members of an evangelical congregation or a mega-church, or something of that sort, and rely on the votes from the evangelical grass roots.
PHONE BANK CALLER: Hello, Mr. Glasson. My name is Jackie, and I am with Christian Coalition, calling to thank you so much for all you've done for us and to let you know that Pat Robertson and Ralph Reed really appreciate you.
RALPH REED, Exec. Dir., Christian Coalition, 1989-'97: Religiously devout Christians are somewhere between 25 and 30 percent of the electorate. And I thought if we could figure out a way, by organizing them and mobilizing them and training them and deploying them and activating them, so that their influence and effectiveness was even proportional to their numbers, we would transform American politics.
Rev. RANDALL BALMER: It was very effective. Thousands of school boards across the country had conservative fundamentalist religious right majorities in the 1990s because of Ralph Reed and Christian Coalition.
God In America: Transcripts: Hour Six - "Of God and Caesar" | PBS

Quote:
In 1988, the Reverend Pat Robertson set up the Christian Coalition.
In spite of Reagan not actually turning the country into a church like the religious right wanted.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
The first Presidential candidate I remember making religion an issue was "Born Again" Jimmy Carter.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,220 times
Oh boy lets worship Reagan the great Christian prez - NOT! Reagan was a longtime member of Bohemian Grove, CA and Nancey practiced many forms of the occult! These people were NOT examples of good Christians but merely using that guise to decieve the sheeple.!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Oh boy lets worship Reagan the great Christian prez - NOT! Reagan was a longtime member of Bohemian Grove, CA and Nancey practiced many forms of the occult! These people were NOT examples of good Christians but merely using that guise to decieve the sheeple.!
Who cares if they were Christian?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Who cares if they were Christian?
Reagan was deeply religious but he certainly didn't believe to be religious you needed to be in every single person's face you see yelling and screaming at them to be the same way or burn in hell.

Just a little scope into what Reagan believed.

Quote:
We're at war with the most dangerous enemy that has ever faced mankind in his long climb from the swamp to the stars
A TIME FOR CHOOSING (The Speech – October 27, 1964)

Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Reagan was a fraud on so many levels, but he was a good actor when he was elected President.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
How boring to bash a dead man!! Wonder how many of you call yourself Christians???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies