Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:46 AM

779 posts, read 537,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Are we discussing political issues or grammar?
I don't know, I find your "crackhead mom bogeyman" fantasies a lot less scary than the breakdown of US literacy, which is amply illustrated by your amateurish attempts at prose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
I don't know, I find your "crackhead mom bogeyman" fantasies a lot less scary than the breakdown of US literacy, which is amply illustrated by your amateurish attempts at prose.
Fortunately for me grammar skills on a forum are the result of poor typing skills and in part laziness. We're not writing dissertations here.

As far as my crackhead mom "fantasies" are you implying a parents involvement in their child's education is not important? I'm not sure what other conclusion anyone is to draw from that comment.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:40 AM

779 posts, read 537,424 times
Quote:
Fortunately for me grammar skills on a forum are the result of poor typing skills and in part laziness. We're not writing dissertations here.

As far as my crackhead mom "fantasies" are you implying a parents involvement in their child's education is not important? I'm not sure what other conclusion anyone is to draw from that comment.
Education is important. Pretending that an entire subset of citizens are crackheads is something else altogether. Something called paranoid delusions.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:47 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Quote:
Oh come on, they are in private school to begin with because their parents have taken an interest in their education. People don't throw money like that around for no reason. Your private school student is more likely to come from a traditional family with educated parents and resources to further their child's education. I'm not suggesting all public school students parentss don't take an interest in their children, the only thing I'm saying is as a percentage the private school student is more likely to get support from home.
>>>>> Bingo. It just boggles the mind that people still think that uniforms somehow magically make rotten students into good students.
The same goes for saying the best teachers go into private school. Maybe some are better but its not going to be a dramatic difference. They have better students becasue the parents at home are doing the heavy lifting making sure their chidren put an effort in school to be educated.
The same goes for educational spending. You give a student expensive new books, computers, extra curricular programs and he'll still fail if his parents at home don't care what he does or are failures htemselves as parents giving him zero encouragement. Likewise he could have the best teacher in the world and he'll still most likley fail because a teacher doesn't have near the influence on a child as does a parent.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:06 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Lazy thinking. Someone said that uniforms would get kids to concentrate on "real issues". Yeah, like algebra? I dare say being trained to accept if not appreciate diversity is more important than figuring out how many a's are in b.

The real issue is this: Kids who let themselves worry about clothing (whether it's what someone else is wearing or what they're going to wear) shouldn't BE getting good grades. This qualifies them for a grant or scholarship, which allows them to become a doctor or someone else who makes tons of money. Why? If they can't get past the simple concept of "You're not what you wear", they shouldn't be eligible as anything but a dishwasher at McDonald's.

And that's in addition to my point about every kid having to pay the price for the actions of a few students. I do strongly contend that it's just a few students who obsess about clothing to the point of it affecting their grades.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Education is important. Pretending that an entire subset of citizens are crackheads is something else altogether. Something called paranoid delusions.
That really doesn't directly answer the question I asked which is "are you implying a parents involvement in their child's education is not important"?

Perhaps you should spend more time reading and comprehending what has been posted in the topic instead of worrying about people's grammar. If you had read the very post where I addressed the challenge to my assertion you''ll find this which should clarify my position.

Quote:
Your private school student is more likely to come from a traditional family with educated parents and resources to further their child's education. I'm not suggesting all public school students parents don't take an interest in their children, the only thing I'm saying is as a percentage the private school student is more likely to get support from home.
Why exactly would you consider this a "paranoid delusion" ?

Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Yes they do. Never went to a private school, did ya?

But seriously, why waste the time comparing public to private schools? Public will fall more than short each and every time.

Public schools should get a clue. No need to "educate" those who exist for nothing other than being an idiot. There are reform schools. Send them away. Let my fed monies pick up their bills instead of my township monies that keep getting raised every year with the BS line "It's for the kids". WHICH kids? The trouble makers who need "special" help? No. Bye!
Public schools must take all comers. The school can't just "send them away". If the public school truly can't accomodate the student, it must find a school that can. Sometimes these "troublemakers" turn out to be "late bloomers".

Old 02-11-2012, 07:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Americans, as a normal, enjoy our individualism. Very different from many other countries.

As such, we generally don't like telling our kids to wear school uniforms.

I wouldn't have a problem with it, if it were proposed in my district. But that isn't going to happen.
This is a statement people make because they have heard it before. They repeat it because they have nothing orignial to say. Does it really matter what it says on someone's t-shirt or how many necklaces they are wearing? Can it be a distraction? Yes, it can be. I was in a high school yesterday and noticed a student dressed completely in black. It took a while to determine if this student was male or female. The student had 6-7 necklaces and 3-4 bracelets on each wrist. I finally determined this student was male. Was he a distraction? Well, maybe other students are used to him and just ignore him, so he is no longer a distraction. It does create the potential for him to be the target of taunts and bullying, which is a problem in many of this nation's schools. I noticed several 9th grade girls who were somewhat overweight and were wearing very low cut tops that exposed most of their breasts. Muffin tops and butt cracks were glaring on many girls. Is it a distraction?

The teachers in this school were also very casually dressed. It was not easy to distinguish the teachers from the janitors. The teachers were wearing faded jeans, sweatshirts and sneakers.

I'm in favor of the polo type shirt and the casual slacks type uniform. Schools could negotitate a deal with a clothing manufacturer to allow students to order these clothes at a discount. The cost would be less than what most students spend on clothing today since you would only need 2-3 pair of pants and 3-4 shirts. I would allow students to wear whatever shoes they want. The same clothes are easily handed down to siblings.

Does a uniform like this improve out schools? It is not going to make kids better students or improve their math ability. What it will do is to help kids fit in better since everyone will be dressed in a similar fashion. Many kids dress as outcasts because they feel like an outsider. Similar clothing will help all students to feel they belong, that they are part of a group. This is just one small step that will allow schools to focus on their mission.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:56 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
I think too many of you are forgetting that a student's grades have NEVER been a reflection of just their academic abilities. Since the beginning of school itself, students have attended classes and worked on their assignments with TONS of possible distractions on their mind.

Whether it's their family, someone they know who is sick and/or dying, a pet that ran away, getting the new CD from the latest rock band, their video games, someone at their school they have a crush on, or even an upcoming class they're dreading; students will always have potential distractions as obstacles in the way of learning. Clothing is no different.

Grades are and always have been an assessment of a student's capabilities in SPITE of possible distractions. And they should somewhat represent what their capabilities will be as adults. Adults have even MORE worries on their mind when they go to work. It's only the adults who are mature enough to focus on their work in spite of them that earn their pay. Same with kids. Even if school uniforms do help student make better grades, it doesn't mean they help them EARN better grades by a long shot.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
They are mandatory in public and private schools in the UK, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, etc. Why don't we have them here? Maybe kids would stop acting thugs and more like mature young adults when they are in uniforms?
You forgot Thailand!
I wore a uniform for 12 years in catholic school.

It's a lot cheaper in the long run, but I don't know how you could force anyone to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies