Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This is a great idea. The Catholic hospitals should reorganize as a 501(c)(3) private organization and charge a $1.00 membership fee to all patients.
Sounds fine to me! I go to private clinics anyway, and the only hospital I've been a patient of was Kaiser (back when I had an employer-paid plan through them). People in more rural areas might disagree, but that would still be a fair option that could please most people IMO.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
You have this backwards. This is really a 1st Ammendment issue - do you have a problem with the free exercise clause? Do you really want to go down the road where the federal government tells a religiously based organization that it cannot follow the tenents of its faith?
You seem to be talking about churches, when we're really talking about hospitals - where people of ALL faiths are allowed to work, and where they also treat people of different faiths. We have a right to our religious freedoms too, ya know, when it comes to using the services of a public institution.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM

P.S. Individuals who work for and/or use these hospitals are still free to practice their own beliefs, so I'm not sure how the first amendment even applies here. Until they're forcing patients to USE birth control, the freedoms of choice and religious practices are still very much alive. I keep Kosher, and don't feel my religious beliefs are suppressed because a hospital cafeteria serves bacon... all I have to do is walk past the bacon, and pick up a chicken sandwich or salad instead.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You seem to be talking about churches, when we're really talking about hospitals - where people of ALL faiths are allowed to work, and where they also treat people of different faiths. We have a right to our religious freedoms too, ya know, when it comes to using the services of a public institution.
Who is stopping you from using the institutions? Or even acquiring OCs from them? The church simply does not want to pay for them. That is not unreasonable.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. Individuals who work for and/or use these hospitals are still free to practice their own beliefs, so I'm not sure how the first amendment even applies here. Until they're forcing patients to USE birth control, the freedoms of choice and religious practices are still very much alive. I keep Kosher, and don't feel my religious beliefs are suppressed because a hospital cafeteria serves bacon... all I have to do is walk past the bacon, and pick up a chicken sandwich or salad instead.
You clearly don't understand the issue at hand. Please review them before you post again.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You clearly don't understand the issue at hand. Please review them before you post again.
Yes, I do... maybe not every detail of this issue, but I do understand the issue we're discussing. And please don't tell me when to post, mkay?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Who is stopping you from using the institutions? Or even acquiring OCs from them? The church simply does not want to pay for them. That is not unreasonable.
Then the church should get out of the hospital business, or stop identifying themselves as an institution that employs and serves the public.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:36 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
And abstaining from recreational sex reduces your chance of STD's. Imagine that health benefit! (Don't even need an article from "Cosmo" to confirm this!)
You people are assuming that only single people engage in recreational sex.

I have a healthy very active sex life with my husband, fully knowing there is NO WAY in bloody hell we are having sex to procreate, thus it's recreational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
It DID but it looks like it no longer does. Although it states in one area I found that if one is truly poor (makes under 21K a year) than you can get it under Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Part D. Apparently for awhile it was free under medicare.
The penis pump is covered though if you believe the commercials for it.

Quote:
Sex is a basic need? There are only three basic needs - food, water, and shelter. I suppose you think the government should force someone to provide those for free also.
Actually per my 139 (A&P 2) text, there are 7 (seven) basic needs to ensure human survival. *shrug*, I'm gunna go with their ideas BTW.

Body stability, reproduction, bodily filters, atmospheric pressure, nutrients, water, and oxygen.

Quote:
Gizmo - you are trampling on the rights of the Catholic organisations by requiring them to provide something they find morally wrong.
Honestly, how the hell would the Catholic Church know if their "rights" have been trampled, since they do it themselves on an almost daily basis; and no offense if someone DID infringe upon their rights, they would get a chance to finally know how it felt. Seriously, by Catholic Dogma homosexuality is a sin, yet this week they had a Bishop apologize to a lesbian for being refused the Sacraments. Hypocritical much?

Quote:
However, if you are asking me from a theological standpoint. Both methods would be a mortal sins if the intent is to prevent conception.
This, I was just curious, since they are both "natural". Being Jewish we only have to worry about eating pork, not actually doing it, lol!

Quote:
I know of no Catholic hospital that is so isolated that one could not find employment elsewhere.
I know of a few in very rural areas in this country.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:16 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Ah, thanks, I miss spoke, I meant exogenous (look it up). I suppose you agree with me now?

I can't think of any plan that covers herbal products or sheepskin condoms, or any condoms for that matter. However, if you are asking me from a theological standpoint. Both methods would be a mortal sins if the intent is to prevent conception.
Sorry, but I still don't get the Catholic Church's reasoning concerning using the rhythm method.

When you use the rhythm method.......the INTENT is to prevent conception.....therefore it should be a mortal sin......just like any other BC method.

I would also like to point out.....timing intercourse is hardly natural. In nature, sex is acted upon when the body is ready to conceive.....not the opposite.

When using the rhythm method, you are timing sex for when the body is not ready to conceive.....that is not what nature intended..... therefore, it is not natural.

I just don't see how the Catholic Church can condone using the rhythm method and at the same time condemn other BC methods without contradicting themselves.

Bottom line, if they condone the rhythm method, a form of birth control, they should have no objection to the mandate.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Btw, none of this recent discussion is even related to the OP, so you too should review the "issue at hand" before correcting somebody else... as the actual topic is really about insurance coverage for birth control, without even mentioning religion or Catholic hospitals. So perhaps we should both get back on topic? Do you feel ANY insurance companies should cover BC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies