Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

Advertisements

...citing any notes from the debates on the subject during the Constitutional Convention, an article from the Federalist Papers, or defined within the Constitution itself.

And just to be clear, this excludes Vattel, or anyone else who did not attend the convention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
To understand the US Constitution one cannot merely turn a blind eye to common law and its interpretations/usage at the time our Constitution was written.

Four court cases addressing natural born citizenship:

4 Supreme Court Cases define "natural born citizen"| The Post & Email

I'm certain that this does not fall within your acceptable parameters but do you think I really care? This topic has been beaten to death in dozens of threads throught CD.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
A search of C-D will yield thousands of posts on this exact subject, do we really have to go through this again?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 PM

26,584 posts, read 14,454,648 times
from your link:

"Each of these cases will cite or apply the definition of this term, as given in a book entitled, The Law of Nations, written by Emmerich de Vattel,...."

de vattel never used the term "natural born citizen". the first time the phrase was used in a translation of de vattel's work ( "Les Naturels ou indigènes font ceux qui font nés dans le pays de Parens Citoyens." ) was 10 years after the ratification of the constitution and long after de vattel's death.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 PM

26,584 posts, read 14,454,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
To understand the US Constitution one cannot merely turn a blind eye to common law and its interpretations/usage at the time our Constitution was written.
i give you this, from william rawle, a george washington appointee:

"Therefore every person born within the United States, its territories or districts, whether the parents are citizens or aliens, is a natural born citizen in the sense of the constitution, and entitled to all the rights and privileges."

Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
A search of C-D will yield thousands of posts on this exact subject, do we really have to go through this again?
You can change the channel, place me on your ignore list or get the birthers to drop the issue. Other than that I would love for you or them to just answer the question posted.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i give you this, from william rawle, a george washington appointee:

"Therefore every person born within the United States, its territories or districts, whether the parents are citizens or aliens, is a natural born citizen in the sense of the constitution, and entitled to all the rights and privileges."
The full quotation:

A VIEW OF THE CONSTITUTION of the United States of America.
BY WILLIAM RAWLE, LL.D.
SECOND EDITION. PHILADELPHIA:
PHILIP H. NICKLIN, LAW BOOKSELLER,
NO. 175,CHESTNUT STREET. 1829.

CHAPTER IX.OF THE ENUMERATED POWERS OF CONGRESS

The citizens of each state constituted the citizens of the United States when the Constitution wasadopted. The rights which appertained to them as citizens of those respective commonwealths,accompanied them in the formation of the great, compound commonwealth which ensued. They became citizens of the latter, without ceasing to be citizens of the former, and he who was subsequently born a citizen of a state, became at the moment of his birth a citizen of the United States.
Therefore every person born within the United States, its territories or districts,whether the parents are citizens or aliens, is a natural born citizen in the sense of the Constitution, and entitled to all the rights and privileges appertaining to that capacity.
It is an error to suppose, as some (and even so great a mind as Locke) have done, that a child is born a citizen of no country and subject of no government, and that be so continues till the age of discretion, when he is at liberty to put himself under what government he pleases. How far the adult possesses this power will hereafter be considered, but surely it would be unjust both to the state and to the infant, to withhold the quality of the citizen until those years of discretion were attained. Under our Constitution the question is settled by its express language, and when we are informed that, excepting those who were citizens, (however the capacity was acquired,) at the time the Constitution was adopted, no person is eligible to the office of president unless he is a natural born citizen, the principle that the place of birth creates the relative quality is established as to us.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
...citing any notes from the debates on the subject during the Constitutional Convention, an article from the Federalist Papers, or defined within the Constitution itself.

And just to be clear, this excludes Vattel, or anyone else who did not attend the convention.
If I find that in Madison's book, you know his notes from the daily debates would it be acceptable? I bet you wouldn't accept it, but just out of respect I will look in my copy.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If I find that in Madison's book, you know his notes from the daily debates would it be acceptable? I bet you wouldn't accept it, but just out of respect I will look in my copy.
Absolutely.

But look all you want.

He never even mentions it.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Ah this is why you are on my ignore list. Did you read the OP?

(I only know you asked the question because HistorianDude quoted you)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies