Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,053,611 times

Advertisements

Put a bounty on the anacondas, have open season all year long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 AM

779 posts, read 537,294 times
Why is this in Politics forum?

Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Question kshe, do people who live in Florida consider this python/anaconda issue to be a national disgrace and something to be ashamed of?
Ashamed? Why, of course not. It is what it is, and just needs to be delt with.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
There is some evidence that the "ying-yangs" may not be the only ones responsible for letting them loose. The hurricane that wiped out Homestead may have also released them from the zoo. There were a number of other animals that got loose when the zoo was damaged, and not all the snakes were recovered.

It's not just pythons A couple of months ago, animal planet did a piece on people that were bitten by poisonous snakes. A resident of Miami was working in his back yard and was bitten by a slender green snake. It turned out to be a Green African Mamba. The hope is that it is the only one and will not be able to reproduce.

Pythons, in the wild, seem to be interbreeding as well. A Burmese Python is huge. A Rock Python is very aggressive. Mix the two and you have a very aggressive, huge snake. Again, if you watch Animal Planet, Swamp Wars, you'll be able to see the guys that are always catching pythons around the Miami area.

While they seem to be most heavily concentrated in the southeast part of Florida, they have been found pythons north of Orlando, along the gulf coast areas. Unchecked, they are expected to spread as far north as Tennessee, and eventually all southern states. Currently, snakes kept as pets are required to have microchips. I would hate to have them find a snake, with a microchip registered to me, in the wild. I don't know what the fine is, and I don't expect to find out the hard way. I do not have any snakes.

But, it's not just pythons. There are also Nile Monitor Lizards and a species of rat that grows quite large that have been imported and released. All are considered "invasive".
Burmese and African species interbreeding in the wild to create a 'super-snake' in the Glades is a science fiction story. No one has been able to interbreed them even in controlled enviromnets.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:21 AM

779 posts, read 537,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Don't send the homeless - send animal-rights activists. After all, they ar the ones who keep insisting that animals must be treated the same as humans, if not better.

There's even an nice acryonym, all ready to go:

Pythons
Eating
Tasty
Activists

Sounds like a plan?
Yeah, so why are they in Florida and not MN or MA? Derrrrrrp.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I say ship the homeless down to the Everglades---tell them to see how many snakes they can catch or kill and for each one they can cash in for a $500 bounty.

It might get pretty messy, but at the same time, it'll make a pretty crazy horror movie plot some day. I'm thinking Roger Corman--"Hobos vs. Swamp Pythons" in 3D...
Besides the micro chipping of the snakes this is the second best solution

Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Very interesting, thanks for the info.

Question kshe, do people who live in Florida consider this python/anaconda issue to be a national disgrace and something to be ashamed of?
No, Floridians dont feel that way at all, I hadnt heard anything of the sort until it popped up in this thread.
We're pi**ed off at the fact that there is no open season on pythons.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
which president created the evironmental protection agency?

Whichever one it was, the GOP is doing one helluva job trying to corrupt and dismantle it.
you really don't know, do you?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you really don't know, do you?
I don't have the ability to google if I didn't already know? DUH!!!

I stand by my post. It makes no difference as to whether or not it was a Democrat or Republican as you have to go back decades to find a Republican that places any importance on environmental issues. That is the point!

BTW...Here is the reason Nixon established it...

Quote:
In Spring 1970, Senator Gaylord Nelson created Earth Day as a way to force this issue onto the national agenda. 20 million Americans demonstrated in different U.S. cities, and it worked!

In December 1970, Congress authorized the creation of a new federal agency to tackle environmental issues, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency..
Earth Day and EPA history | Earth Day | US EPA

Gaylord Anton Nelson (June 4, 1916 – July 3, 2005) was an American politician from Wisconsin who served as a United States Senator and governor. A Democrat, he was the principal founder of Earth Day.

So we are back to my original post...after Teddy Roosevelt, one is hard pressed to find a Republican that gives rat's butt about the environment.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 02-21-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
There is some evidence that the "ying-yangs" may not be the only ones responsible for letting them loose. The hurricane that wiped out Homestead may have also released them from the zoo. There were a number of other animals that got loose when the zoo was damaged, and not all the snakes were recovered.
That was a very informative post. Thanks to all who have knowledge on this subject and have shared it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies