Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support this?
Yes 13 16.05%
No 68 83.95%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,179,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Nope.
Only for defense and tax cuts for big business.

What's this war on the people of the country while supporting the robber barons?
Tax cuts across the board. It's not just big businesses not paying their share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,072,195 times
It's not the programs themselves that are a problem, it's the crooks running them.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,978,814 times
I could support a 10% cut in the size (workforce) and scope of the federal governement, including POTUS & Congressional pay/benefits, each year for the next 10 years, though this wouldn't retire it completely at the end of 10 years. Government is a necessary evil which should be kept to a minimum and contained lest it grow out of control as we've seen under Obama.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Tax cuts across the board. It's not just big businesses not paying their share.
Why the war on the poor?
Do you think it's a grand lifestyle?
Why not try it if you think that they have it so good?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,843,854 times
No, but I do support time limits for FoodStamps. I also do not fully support the WIC program at all as I feel we should promote breastfeeding, which is free, versus giving children formula over 90% of women can breastfeed yet because many receive free formula they do not have an incentive to make sure that they keep breastfeeding their children. I would have more support for WIC if it provided more of a breastfeeding environment, such as allowing poorer families with working mothers to rent a breast pump for free versus buying formula for them every month. Even if the breast pumps aren't returned (even the good ones that are very pricey) it would be cheaper than giving out formula and is better for the baby and mother.

Getting off of my breast feeding support podium though, wanted to also add that I truly would like to see a 5 year limit on Section 8 and many other social programs geared towards families, similar to what WIC has, which is an area in which I feel is a positive of that program. I also feel that we should continue to allow students to receive student aid, a dumb populace unable to work in desired positions will only aid in lowering our global status and we should encourage and assist our youth to further their education.

For Social Security, I would not change it at all really, only would like to see congress and government guarantee that SS money cannot be used for anything other than SS payments. I also would like there to be a ban on people who are of retirement age, yet who have not paid anything into the SS system to keep them from receiving SS. As it stands now, old immigrants can come here and get SS even though they may have never worked in this country and I feel that should be stopped. I also would like to see limits placed on what is considered a disability for people who receive SSDI and feel that would save some money. Especially when parents are receiving it for minor children with such ailments as ADD/ADHD. I do not feel that this sort of diagnosis deserves to have an SSDI check for the child. I also feel that people should be able to opt out of SS and if they do then they cannot, under any circumstances, ever receive it.

I agree with the idea of universal healthcare so would not want to touch Medicare either. I feel a healthy, educated population is the most productive and would want to ensure at least these two areas are covered for our citizens so I would like to see Medicare moved towards one of a prevention program and for it to cover everyone.

You did not mention defense spending and foreign aid, which I feel should also be cut at least in half. I also feel that the salaries of our politicians should be cut by 2/3rds and for them to have access to only a Medicare type of system. That would save a lot of money.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,020,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
If there was legislation to cut 10% of the following programs every year for 10 years, would you support it?

Food Stamps
WIC
Section 8
Federal Student Aid
Unemployment Insurance (employer taxes also go down 10% every year)
Social Security (your payroll taxes go down 10% every year also)
Medicare (your payroll taxes go down 10% every year also)

Then these programs are retired after 10 years.

Would you support this?
What about defense expenditures, earmarks? what about upping the capital gains rates? what about taxing corps that outsource our american jobs? Sorry, when you try to improve the budget situation on the middle class' backs, but expect no similar sacrifice from the rich or the Gov't, don't expect a lot of support.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Why the war on the poor?
Do you think it's a grand lifestyle?
Why not try it if you think that they have it so good?
There's no war on the poor. I'm not suggesting they pay the same amount as the rich. Why the war on the non-poor? Businesses are already taxed twice.

Last edited by NJBest; 02-22-2012 at 08:56 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You did not mention defense spending and foreign aid, which I feel should also be cut at least in half. I also feel that the salaries of our politicians should be cut by 2/3rds and for them to have access to only a Medicare type of system. That would save a lot of money.
You have no idea about the "politicians" health care.
On the federal level, it's the same as every other federal employee and you can research it at fehb.com.
There is nothing special about it except that they have more options because the fed is so big and offers options from numerous sources.

Breastfeeding doesn't work for everyone, especially those who work.
So many of you like the idea of the poor ending up on the streets.

That will end so many problems in the US.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,668,772 times
No...they all need to be revised but not necessarily eliminated

Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
You have no idea about the "politicians" health care.
On the federal level, it's the same as every other federal employee and you can research it at fehb.com.
There is nothing special about it except that they have more options because the fed is so big and offers options from numerous sources.

Breastfeeding doesn't work for everyone, especially those who work.
So many of you like the idea of the poor ending up on the streets.

That will end so many problems in the US.
If you can't afford to breastfeed... can you afford to properly raise a child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies