Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:38 PM

9 posts, read 5,168 times

Advertisements

Looks like he will never get to spend retirement doing what he wants. The prosecutors went for the juglar on this situation. I believe a few months back a woman got 20 years for firing a warning shot at her abusive husband. I read the law in Florida. It seems it is ok to fire a gun on private property but not in this circumstance. I am new so I hope the link works.Ronald Thompson serving mandatory minimum sentence/Gainsville.comhttp://www.gainesville.com/article/20120614/ARTICLES/120619789Quote:Ronald Thompson of Keystone Heights is 65 and a 14-year Army veteran who has logged 5,000 hours of volunteer service at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Lake City.But for the crime of firing two gunshots into the ground to scare off some teenagers, he is serving 20 years in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,303,374 times
Ronald Thompson serving mandatory minimum sentence | Gainesville.com

Old 06-15-2012, 03:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
I wonder what he would have gotten had he just shot them?

Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I wonder what he would have gotten had he just shot them?
Same thing..... a sentence to basically die in prison ! And FL is forking out some serious $$$$ on this guys health..... Them some smart people down there !

Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
Is your problem with the law itself, or do you want the court to not follow the law?

I have to ask because white, elderly, right wingers claim to be very respectful of the law, (illegal immigration for instance) until it comes to some issue like this where one of their tribe members gets caught.

Then they get all sympathetic to those punished for not following the law.

Did you ever get sympathetic about some black teenager severely punished for breaking the law or does the sympathy only surface when it's white elderly males?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:01 PM

Common sense has become a thing of the past...... Even with the law !

Old 06-15-2012, 04:09 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Is your problem with the law itself, or do you want the court to not follow the law?

I have to ask because white, elderly, right wingers claim to be very respectful of the law, (illegal immigration for instance) until it comes to some issue like this where one of their tribe members gets caught.

Then they get all sympathetic to those punished for not following the law.

Did you ever get sympathetic about some black teenager severely punished for breaking the law or does the sympathy only surface when it's white elderly males?
Actually the way I see it we have failed the poor old timer as a society. He was just turning his life around when this happened. We need to figure out where the disconnect occured and save him but in the mean time we must provide him with an EBT card, medicaide, section 8 housing, and anything else he may possibly need at the expense of working taxpayers.

Sound familiar?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Garvin View Post
Looks like he will never get to spend retirement doing what he wants. The prosecutors went for the juglar on this situation. I believe a few months back a woman got 20 years for firing a warning shot at her abusive husband. I read the law in Florida. It seems it is ok to fire a gun on private property but not in this circumstance. I am new so I hope the link works.Ronald Thompson serving mandatory minimum sentence/Gainsville.comhttp://www.gainesville.com/article/20120614/ARTICLES/120619789Quote:Ronald Thompson of Keystone Heights is 65 and a 14-year Army veteran who has logged 5,000 hours of volunteer service at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Lake City.But for the crime of firing two gunshots into the ground to scare off some teenagers, he is serving 20 years in prison.
That he's 65 or served in the military doesn't matter to the law.

Are you mad about mandatory sentencing guidelines here? Perhaps you should have been complaining when they were brought in.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Actually the way I see it we have failed the poor old timer as a society. He was just turning his life around when this happened. We need to figure out where the disconnect occured and save him but in the mean time we must provide him with an EBT card, medicaide, section 8 housing, and anything else he may possibly need at the expense of working taxpayers.

Sound familiar?
One less gun toting idiot. Seems like society just got a little safer to me.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Garvin View Post
But , but ... he was "standing his ground" against those .....errr, worms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies