Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times

Advertisements

Below is the first thing I learned in religion class at St. Patricks School.

Teacher: Who made you?
Me: God made me.

Today I'm an atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 AM

391 posts, read 513,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
It's a fun game, isn't it? It drove them crazy because I was so evasive I loved watching that! I held out as long as I could, but they kept pestering me and I finally relented after three months--right after that accidental remark about the GOP. But I instructed them not to tell next year's students so they can guess too. And since many of my students go to my church, they already know that I'm quite religious. Wasn't going to avoid that one my small midwestern town.
I love it. I'm in Miami and teach outside of my area, so the kids have no clue. I do tell them that I am a Protestant, if they ask, but, I never tell them my political leanings. I wonder what that might say about me? Is it because I have no fear of my religion influencing them and I do have a fear of my political leanings; or that I think that I specifically don't want to indoctinate my students to my political beliefs as part of a democratic society that should be made up of many ideals to balance out each other?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Below is the first thing I learned in religion class at St. Patricks School.

Teacher: Who made you?
Me: God made me.

Today I'm an atheist.
That has nothing to do with you being an Atheist.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,240 times
Quote:
This is nothing new. Give anyone a child for any period of time and they'll be what you mold them to be. That's why we should be giving them an education and not indoctrinate them. Let's face it--conservatives want to indocrinate children just as much as the liberals they hate. They just call it "critical thinking" "sound economics" "common sense" and, in science, "intelligent design". In my economics class, my students read passages by Adam Smith and Karl Marx, I guide them through the passages, and I try my best to stay out of it while we analyze the pros and cons. Usually they realize that Adam Smith makes more economic sense and I don't have to say a thing. It's amazing what kids will realize when you just leave them to examine the stuff themselves.
The point that many of us are trying to make is that the far left has had an increasing infiltration, presence and influence in the schools in recent years, and have indoctrinated and propagandized our children in the groupthink manner that Lenin prophesied. Putting it bluntly, they have, and are, being raised to be good little Commies, although as noted, there are many exceptions.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:00 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
>Kindergarten song celebrating the President

Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Well I guess that means we shouldn't send our kids to school

Old 02-25-2012, 12:08 PM

26,511 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Very interesting post. As a liberal teacher with some conservative tendencies, I'm almost walking on eggshells trying not to be biased. Sometimes I even talk about the GOP TOO much in my government class to compensate, but occaisionally an opinion will slip out. But I have a lot of smart conservative students, and I tell them to let me know if I'm not presenting their side fairly. I've never had anyone tell me I wasn't fair so far.

Funny story: Back when my students were speculating whether I was a Republican or Democrat, I was teaching about the history of the Republican Party, and I was telling them what the GOP stood for back in the 19th century (The homestead act, civil rights, anti-slavery, land grant colleges, etc..) I said "Yep, they stood for good things in those days. (sigh)" I didn't mean it to come out the way it did, and I quickly backtracked, but after that everyone pretty much figured out that I wasn't a conservative. My Republican kids weren't too upset, since they suspected it all along.
Yeah some parents can be too sensitive.

I am almost walking on eggshells with my coworkers at times if I espouse a view point that is conservative. That is the public system that I am use to.

I am glad that you use multiple view points...not every teacher that I know does. Keep up the good work.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
The point that many of us are trying to make is that the far left has had an increasing infiltration, presence and influence in the schools in recent years, and have indoctrinated and propagandized our children in the groupthink manner that Lenin prophesied. Putting it bluntly, they have, and are, being raised to be good little Commies, although as noted, there are many exceptions.
Well, the fact that you just said that America's children are being raised to be communists destroys all credibility in your post. Nobody is being raised to be communists. And people who claim that there's a nationwide conspiracy achieve that knows nothing about how public education works in this country.

Example: I teach in a conservative farming town in Michigan. Nobody in my county has elected a Democrat to countywide office since FDR, and most of my students come from conservative Republican families who are no fans of Obama. My school is a reflection of the values of our town, and the same is true across the country. In San Francisco, there will be a much stronger liberal push because the parents and students there will be more liberal and be more supportive of progressive ideas. That will not be the case in West Michigan. Nationwide, indoctrination of children into liberalism is a very very small minority and is not systematic.

And I say this knowing that there are teachers who do push their opinions on students. My predecessor was a big liberal (NOT communist) who let everyone know it, yet the kids did not become liberals out of that.

I just would love to know how the calculus teacher weaves in marxism in his class. Do English teachers praise Marx through Romeo and Juliet? Do Physics teachers praise lenin when talking about the law of gravitation? Can anyone tell me, because my co-workers in those subjects can't. I do wonder how this is so systematic. Perhaps I should give you all this link to the Michigan standards for Social Studies. I am required to touch on all points in the Government/Economics section of this document. If the infiltration is so strong, it certainly should be in this curriculum, which was designed by a Democrat governor and legislature in 2005.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...E_210739_7.pdf

I dare anyone to tell me where I, or any other teacher in my state is instructed to promote communism in the classroom. Go ahead, if you all know so much about public ed in this country.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
The left has always been in education while the right has always been in business.

It's just that now each wants to take over the other's turf.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:28 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:

So, is the below song also "indoctrination"; or does it apply only with selected Presidents....

OUR ABE LINCOLN
Words Adapted by Jim Aylesworth from a genuine/original campaign song for Abraham Lincoln
Sing to the tune of “Old Gray Mare”

Babe Abe Lincoln was born in the wilderness
Born in the wilderness
Born in the wilderness
Babe Abe Lincoln was born in the wilderness
Many long years ago.

Boy Abe Lincoln lived rough with his family
Rough with his family
Rough with his family
Boy Abe Lincoln lived rough with his family
Many cold snows ago.

Smart Abe Lincoln read late by the firelight
Late by the firelight
Late by the firelight
Smart Abe Lincoln read late by the firelight
Many dark nights ago.

Strong Abe Lincoln fell oaks with a mighty axe
Oaks with a mighty axe
Oaks with a mighty axe
Strong Abe Lincoln fell oaks with a mighty axe
Many split rails ago.

True Abe Lincoln was praised for his honesty
Praised for his honesty
Praised for his honesty
True Abe Lincoln was praised for his honesty
Many good deeds ago.

Tall Abe Lincoln made friends there in Illinois
Friends there in Illinois
Friends there in Illinois
Tall Abe Lincoln made friends there in Illinois
Many glad times ago.

Friend Abe Lincoln got sent off to Washington
Sent off to Washington
Sent off to Washington
Friend Abe Lincoln got sent off to Washington
Many campaigns ago.

Kind Abe Lincoln then led as the president
Led as the president
Led as the president
Kind Abe Lincoln then led as the president
Many cruel days ago.

Wise Abe Lincoln said, “No More!” to slavery
“No More!” to slavery
“No More!” to slavery
Wise Abe Lincoln said, “No More!” to slavery
Many brave days ago.

Sad Abe Lincoln spoke grand words at Gettysburg
Grand words at Gettysburg
Grand words at Gettysburg
Sad Abe Lincoln spoke grand words at Gettysburg
Many lost souls ago.

Great Abe Lincoln died hard for his noble deeds
Hard for his noble deeds
Hard for his noble deeds
Great Abe Lincoln died hard for his noble deeds
Many sad tears ago.

Our Abe Lincoln came out of the wilderness
Out of the wilderness
Out of the wilderness
Our Abe Lincoln came out of the wilderness
many proud years ago.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies