Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtn View Post
Teacher unions? First off tenure is an old pastime. Replaced by Due Process, have all districts gotten rid of tenure? Not sure, but due process is the only thing I've ever seen in a teacher contract. Since unions do not evaluate teachers during their probationary period, that the principals job, how is it the fault of unions that poor performing teachers are retained? Isn't that the principals job? I mean in no less that 6 evaluations, that's the bare minimum, a principal is the individual who allows a teacher to receive professional/regular teacher status. During the probationary period a teacher can be non-renewed for any reason. The only thing I've seen unions do is ensure due process is followed when a teacher's performance has been questioned.

Pay raises? I haven't seen my union get me a pay raise in 5 years. I can't go on strike either. I really don't see how unions are to blame in this. I've read headline like most people and have seen some some bad unions. Out of the 1000's if union chapters across the nation, can you say the un-professionalism of 1 or 2 union chapter is representative?
As a teacher, when was the last time you have seen a teacher get fired for poor performance, and how many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well now the Democrats have joined this "War on Teachers" because there's no more money to give them.
Funny how reality can change one's views.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtn View Post
Teacher unions? First off tenure is an old pastime. Replaced by Due Process, have all districts gotten rid of tenure? Not sure, but due process is the only thing I've ever seen in a teacher contract. Since unions do not evaluate teachers during their probationary period, that the principals job, how is it the fault of unions that poor performing teachers are retained? Isn't that the principals job? I mean in no less that 6 evaluations, that's the bare minimum, a principal is the individual who allows a teacher to receive professional/regular teacher status. During the probationary period a teacher can be non-renewed for any reason. The only thing I've seen unions do is ensure due process is followed when a teacher's performance has been questioned.

Pay raises? I haven't seen my union get me a pay raise in 5 years. I can't go on strike either. I really don't see how unions are to blame in this. I've read headline like most people and have seen some some bad unions. Out of the 1000's if union chapters across the nation, can you say the un-professionalism of 1 or 2 union chapter is representative?
so people dont change after they have gained security? Never? come now. we all know that is not true.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Look at Chicago -- 15% of 4th graders can read. Yet the teachers there do not want to be held accountable in any way, they make gigantic salaries but they greedily want more, more, more. No standards for job performance however.
Getting really sick and tired of RWNJs quoting this 15% stat without providing a credible link, you know, like this one from the Illinois Dept. of Ed.

Oh, wait - this shows that 62% of Chicago's fourth graders meet or exceed expectations in reading. It also shows a small but steady increase in math, science, and reading, with the percentage of students meeting or exceeding standards at its highest point in years.

More FACTS to debunk that 15% rate here.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

those particular teachers are not just greedy, but incompetent to boot:

Small wonder. Just 15 percent of fourth graders are proficient in reading and only 56 percent of students who enter their freshman year of high school wind up graduating.

Chicago Bled Dry by Striking Teachers’ Unions - By John Fund - The Corner - National Review Online

that is disgraceful, and chicagoans deserve better.

if rahm was smart, he would fire all the teachers and replace them-but he can't do that because he is in bed with the teacher's union.

lie down with the dogs, and wake up with fleas.

now who is looking out for the kids again?
The Republican WAR on teachers

Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I am still trying to figure out why holding teachers accountable for their job performance is so unfair.
A good teacher is worth their weight in gold. A bad teacher isn't worth their weight in spoiled cabbage.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:57 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Daley View Post
I really do not understand it. Everytime you turn on Fox News or right wing Republican talk radio they are always bashing teachers. And they attack teachers legislatively now as well by taking away civil service, union rights and, in Arizona, even the right to express any political views. I really cannot figure out why the Republicans hate teachers so much. Maybe somebody can shed some light?
Guess Rahm is a Republican now.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am still trying to figure out why holding teachers accountable for their job performance is so unfair.
A good teacher is worth their weight in gold. A bad teacher isn't worth their weight in spoiled cabbage.
Let me tell you how it works in Florida and then you can tell me how fair it is.

50% of a Florida teacher's evaluation is based on student test scores.

Only 30% of Florida's teachers teach a subject area that is "testable" - that is to say, has a standardized, end-of-course exam.

I'm most familiar with high school evals, so that's what I'll use as an example. There are only 4 courses - Algebra I, Geometry, Biology, and US History that have EOC exams. Students must also pass FCAT Reading, which is first given in the spring of their 10th grade year.

Teachers who teach one of the above listed classes (English teachers are responsible for FCAT Reading) are evaluated on their students' scores. What about all the other teachers in the school, on what is their evaluation based? Why, on the school's reading scores! A teacher who teaches AP Calculus (for which there IS an exam, but it is not used for eval purposes) or Alg II or any math class other than Alg I or Geometry is evaluated on the school's reading scores. Likewise for every PE, fine art, practical art, foreign language, and/or science teacher - not to mention counselors, librarians, and all special needs teachers.

So, in Florida, 50% of most teacher evaluations are based on test scores of anonymous students that a teacher may or may not teach in a subject area that the teacher definitely does not teach. The other 50% is an administrator's evaluation of the teacher's classroom skills - meaning it's very subjective and favoritism is rampant.

If you were a Florida teacher, how much confidence would have in the method used to measure your "accountability"?

http://fcat.fldoe.org/eoc/

http://fcat.fldoe.org/pdf/fcatpass.pdf

Old 09-13-2012, 02:01 AM

510 posts, read 430,705 times
IT'S SO CONFUSING! Why don't conservatives enjoy paying taxes so that their children can be taught about the GRAVE CRIME OF WHITE PRIVILEGE and the racist overtones of the word SANDWICH in school? What's not to like about that sweet deal? I think they're just all whiner @ssholes who hate teachers.

Seriously get with the cool dudes on the Left. VOTE OBAMA! We're awesome because we're practically paid to sit in your house and fill your precious children's heads with things that make them hate you!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Let me tell you how it works in Florida and then you can tell me how fair it is.

50% of a Florida teacher's evaluation is based on student test scores.

Only 30% of Florida's teachers teach a subject area that is "testable" - that is to say, has a standardized, end-of-course exam.

I'm most familiar with high school evals, so that's what I'll use as an example. There are only 4 courses - Algebra I, Geometry, Biology, and US History that have EOC exams. Students must also pass FCAT Reading, which is first given in the spring of their 10th grade year.

Teachers who teach one of the above listed classes (English teachers are responsible for FCAT Reading) are evaluated on their students' scores. What about all the other teachers in the school, on what is their evaluation based? Why, on the school's reading scores! A teacher who teaches AP Calculus (for which there IS an exam, but it is not used for eval purposes) or Alg II or any math class other than Alg I or Geometry is evaluated on the school's reading scores. Likewise for every PE, fine art, practical art, foreign language, and/or science teacher - not to mention counselors, librarians, and all special needs teachers.

So, in Florida, 50% of most teacher evaluations are based on test scores of anonymous students that a teacher may or may not teach in a subject area that the teacher definitely does not teach. The other 50% is an administrator's evaluation of the teacher's classroom skills - meaning it's very subjective and favoritism is rampant.

If you were a Florida teacher, how much confidence would have in the method used to measure your "accountability"?

Bureau of K-12 Assessment: End-of-Course Assessments

http://fcat.fldoe.org/pdf/fcatpass.pdf
Well Ray, once RTT is in place all classes will have an EOC test. RTT mandates that part of a teacher evaluation be based on student scores. With RTT there will be more testing and teachers will be held more accountable for how students perform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies