Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Most of the time the people that want to work, have a good work ethic, have some education, and can speak intelligently are the people who get the jobs. If you don't have a decent job, chances are your lifestyle will be below, at or close to the poverty line. Who's fault is that? Aren't we all pretty much responsible for our own lives and well being? Some would think it is the fault of the government for not paying more in welfare payments. If welfare ended people would be forced to find a job or starve. If there was a way I could keep my tax dollars from going to welfare I would. One way or another, people choose the life they are going to live by the decisions they make early in life.
You can't get a job as easily if more people refuse to hire you. It's a fabulous little pep talk, and I'm sure you'd be quite the motivational speaker. However, I don't think anyone posed the question, "Do hard working or educated people have it easier than lazy or ignorant ones?"

Yes, there are unemployed people out there of all shades and tones who aren't giving 100% in finding work. And some cities, contrary to local popular belief, do in fact have jobs available in spite the "bad economy". The question is, are these things really all that matter in getting a job?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 PM

690 posts, read 1,202,401 times
Its a bit of a taboo subject really, so there isn't much literature refuting the notion that they do.

Often, for example, the mere notion that blacks are more likely to be in prison than whites is treated, purely on its own, as evidence that the justice system is racist. I would argue that if you studied the conditions they lived in prior to conviction, you would find a similar amounts of whites are in prison as blacks. Ie if you narrowed it down to class and removed the 'middle class' and above from calculations, you might find that 11% or whatever of both the black and white lower class are in prison. Its more indicative of the lack of a black middle class than anything else i think.

Similarly, it would be interesting to study boards of directors in top companies, and break it down into religious backgrounds... Does the overrepresentation of Jewish whites in Politics carry through to business and academia? Is there still a protestant establishment in america? Do Catholic or non-religious whites have lower rates of achievement that are statistically significant?

I think for a lot of whites who experience the same conditions as minorities (ie broken homes, single parent upbringing, poor area) have exactly the same chances. Its generally just a 'dont rock the boat' attitude on the part of social scientists to emphasize race and discount class and religion as irrelevant.

As an example in the UK, Indians and Pakistanis/Bangladeshis probably look alike to a lot of people, particularly those who wish to stereotype. But Indians are actually on average wealthier, more academic, and occupy higher positions than the white population. Pakistanis earn less, dont do well academically, and Bangladeshis are at the bottom of most indices. Given they all groups are probably likely to experience equal amounts of discrimination based on their appearance, i would say there are cultural factors each group has that enables them to suceed or fail in European society.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
I'm pretty sure a totally inexperienced white person wouldn't ever be elected President.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM

690 posts, read 1,202,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I'm pretty sure a totally inexperienced white person wouldn't ever be elected President.
Why not? Democracies rarely elect the best person for the job, if ever.

Bosco the Dog Mayor, Sunol, California

Here in UK our prime minister keeps getting younger each election, as the media wants someone photogenic and wrinkle free. I seriously expect to see an 18 year old prime minister within my lifetime

Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I believe his name was Richard Nixon

Old 10-27-2012, 02:39 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Years ago as a young man I worked in a company where I was an assistant manager, the manager was a black man, and the owner was also a black man. One day we were doing interviews and had a nice looking you black lady come in for an interview. The first thing she said when she met the manager is how nice it was to see a black man actually in power for a company. she then proceeded to tell us how she lost her last job because they brought in a new manager that was a racist, she also did not get the job at her previous interview because that company was full of racists. As soon as she left the interview the manager started laughing and said there was no way he was hiring her, she was too busy playing the victim and in our line of work at the time there was a lot of time you could look at yourself as the victim. I thought maybe she really was a victim in those situations. I did the call backs to either set up the 2nd interviews or tell the people we were not interested, when I called this young lady her quote to me was that she knew my boss was an uncle tom, how else could he have a white assistant manager?

Now white people may have it a easier in life then black, or any other race out there, but there really is not much more that can be done by the government. How many regulations do you need? How much more affirmative action? How many anti-discrimination laws are enough?

Fact is we all need to change, white and black both need to learn that people of different races are not all the same, they don't do the same things, they don't like the same things, and they are not all like the stereo types out there. We all need to get past what color someone's skin is, however to do that we also all need to get past the attitudes in our culture and the attitudes some push as normal for our race.

You do not change cultural discrimination overnight, you change it one person at a time. Having Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton running all over the country crying victim while sticking up companies for their money is not going to help the average black man, in fact it makes it worse. Having rappers and such up front of crowds talking calling women bs and sluts while talking about drugs and killing is not going to help. Using the race card when something happens that you do not like is not going to help your situation or make your life better.

What will help you ask? How about forget about what is fair, and deal with life, it sucks for us all at times, we all have to deal with unfair situations, to be successful we all have to move past those situations. Stop looking for racism in everything, stop worrying about how many said no because they did not like your name, hell the truth is complaining about it or being pissed off does not affect anybody but yourself and your family. If you have to apply to 100 more companies to find a good job you like that will hire you, well that sucks, but when you get that job forget about those other companies and show up to do your new job to the best of your ability. You show up with a good attitude and do your job everyday, eventually even the real racists in the office will see that and begin to respect you, and you will have more opportunities. Of course I know some will say that is being an uncle tom, personally I see that as someone who wants to fit with the society that will make you successful.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,433 times
In general, white people have it much easier than minorities. America is overwhelmingly white in demographics. Whites hold the lions share of wealth here. If you want a job, most likely you are going to be working for a white person. Many small businesses do not hire blacks. The federal government is not surprisingly the largest employer in black America. I live outside of Washington, DC and it is no coincidence that the area is home to the largest black middle class population in the country because of the healthy representation of blacks in the federal government.

The stereotypical affluent whites living in gentrified city neighborhoods and wealthy outer ring suburbs definitely have it very easy. These people live in safe areas with a high standard of living. By in large, this class of people enjoy leisurely lives and work white collar jobs in comfortable air conditioned office settings surfing the internet all day with high levels of job security. This class of whites are largely college "educated", meaning that they spent 4+ years of leisure time learning very little and not working much which ultimately entitled them to higher earnings:

College Is Only Good for Helping Rich People Get Richer | Education on GOOD

These types of people do not typically work hard manual labor jobs unless they are some sort of skilled tradesman. Hard manual labor jobs in America are coming to be dominated by Central American immigrants. Low-skilled low wage jobs are often reserved for blacks, Latinos as well as teenagers, college students and retirees in most major metro areas. A white person is much more likely to have a better paid job supervising a group of blacks or Latinos doing landscape work or working in a warehouse (like a slave driver) as opposed to actually doing such low-wage grunt work themselves. Any self-respecting white person living in or around the nicer, safer whiter areas of most major cities is considered a loser for working a low-wage job if he or she is not a teenager, a college student or a convicted felon.

There are undoubtedly millions and millions of poor white Americans and poor white communities in America. However, none of these areas on average see the level of social ills that is present from the average American ghetto to the average barrio to the average Native American reservation. Native Americans have sky high levels of alcoholism and obesity. Native Americans also are more likely to have a net-worth of zero.

There has been much discussion of predominantly black American inner cities. Black inner city areas are flooded with foreign grown hard drugs imported all the way from South America. Many ghettos are home to large open air drug markets. Somehow, the cul-de-sac on lily white Cedar Lane in generic 80% white suburbia has not become a hopping open air drug market of foreign grown heroin like it has on Martin Luther King Boulevard. Why is that? There is much less scrutiny in the hood than the suburbs. There is no limit to how many liquor stores can be opened in the hood in the city, so there is one on every corner, whereas out in the county has a restriction about how many liquor stores can be opened along a given strip. The booming illegal underground economy of drugs both feeds the prison industrial complex as well as balloons the black homicide rate in every major city in America. The majority of black homicides in every big city in America are tied to the lawless and unethical daily business practices of the illegal drug economy.

To add more, just 50 years ago, blacks did not even have the same legal rights as whites in many areas of the country. Do you think that just in 50 years that everything would be fine and dandy? The advent of crack cocaine ravaged urban black America in the 80's and early 90's. Deindustrialization harmed black America much more than white America. Crime-ridden predominantly black major cities like Detroit and Baltimore bear the ugly scars of the wounds of white flight and the dismantling of the American manufacturing base in large formerly industrial cities. Blacks were left with inferior schools without jobs in decaying inner city areas that whites abandoned. All while whites abandoned blue collar work en masse in favor of paper-pushing white collar jobs living in the newly built suburbs.

However, black flight from urban ghettos has been a major trend in the past twenty years. Crime is way down from its peak twenty years ago as well.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 06-03-2013 at 10:50 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 06:15 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,515 times
Hell yeah white people have it easier. I'm not saying all white people either, but look at the vast majority of Suburban American and those that are well off, and those that have good paying jobs. All are white. Quality of life is much easier for them because they don't have to deal with the everyday struggles of money where hispanics and blacks do. Struggling and being in debt, and having an opportunity to advance in the minority community is higher than those of white communities. Theres the saying : "Money is the root of all evil" but the real truth is "being broke is the root of all evil". Most whites living in suburban communities and are middle to upper class (again not all whites) never have to deal with the struggles of money. People kill for money, people sell drugs for money, people do crazy ***** for money. Most of the white people have bills like everybody but how nice for many of them to never have to even worry about money, they can just carry on with their life, go travel somewhere, eat somewhere without worrying about the price tag, not having to worry where their next meal is coming from. That's why hispanic and black people are rougher (more aggressive) vs many white people who are softer (less aggressive) because poverty makes you survive and think on your feet and fend for yourself. Many white people will never understand how tough life really is because they have their mini van and house out in the suburbs and they will always be well taken care of. If they hit an obstacle they have mommy and daddy. Many minorities are lucky to have their parents to count on (that's if they are even together). Having money although doesn't answer all questions about everything, the fact remains that having money makes like a whole lot more comfortable. And the vast majority of the people living good are not minorities. Money controls people and keeps them at jobs, money people depend on from the government, money is a basic necessity for survival. And with the way the country is going pretty soon all there is going to be left is no middle class just upper middle class and rich, and all the poor people living off the system. All the people going to college the vast majority in debt with no where to go, minimum wage isn't even enough to survive off of, that's if you are lucky enough to even find a minimum wage job. Again I'm not saying all white people but if you look at the vast majority of Americans who are living good you will see most of them are white.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
whites and asians are ashamed of their poverty. others are proud of their poverty. this i understand, what i do not understand is to be proud of your violence and dishonesty.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:52 PM

779 posts, read 632,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
whites and asians are ashamed of their poverty. others are proud of their poverty. this i understand, what i do not understand is to be proud of your violence and dishonesty.
Can you give an example of a show of group pride in poverty, violence our dishonesty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies